Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Oh shoot. I better pay attention. I thought second posting of pictures was better view of same stuff with the JASO MA2 rating. First post was something different.

No way though I would pay 20,000+ for a machine and then go searching for the cheapest oil possible to put in it.

So many on the same shelves like Castrol GTX if you want cheaper oil but something that has proven to protect in harshest environments. Maybe Walmart is as good or even same.

Glad you posted or you may have wrecked the new machine on the first oil change.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Everyone has the oil they like, I run Amsoil in everything 0w40..Grizzly/Viking/Rmax/Lawnmower/pressure washer etc etc! Clean oil is good oil IMO:)

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 X-TR
19 Posts
The super tech I recommend is the best oil you can put in his machine. Supertech outperforms top shelf brands like mobile 1 and the others. Manufactured by Warren Oil Company LLC. I have seen the black stone lab data sheets on this oil, can't get any better. Enjoy the savings also 👍

·
Registered
2021 Red-neck Edition RMAX2 XT-R
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The super tech I recommend is the best oil you can put in his machine. Supertech outperforms top shelf brands like mobile 1 and the others. Manufactured by Warren Oil Company LLC. I have seen the black stone lab data sheets on this oil, can't get any better. Enjoy the savings also 👍
That's nice to know. I saw the GTX "Go" was cheaper. But I'll stick with the Red-Necks choice of SuperTech. ;)

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Another oil to look at is Napa brand oil. Its the same as Valvoline. Goes down the exact same line. All they do is change the bottle. You all probably already know this too but NAPA oil filters are the same as WIX. I worked for NAPA through the early 2000s and found all this out then so things could have changed since then but I don't think so.

·
Registered
2021 Red-neck Edition RMAX2 XT-R
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another oil to look at is Napa brand oil. Its the same as Valvoline. Goes down the exact same line. All they do is change the bottle. You all probably already know this too but NAPA oil filters are the same as WIX. I worked for NAPA through the early 2000s and found all this out then so things could have changed since then but I don't think so.
Found a Yamaha crossover for a Wix 51358. Bought it here to compare and try out. Nice price too.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought recently in the last year or 2, wix has now sent most production to china. No argument labor and quality with chinese made items will not hold a positive rep. I cant speak for the XP series filters, as I dont think these are made by wix anymore but still are in the states. Talking oil is like talking religion sometimes, and im not looking for a fight. But from all the research ive done, my opinion still stands that if you decide not to use factory oil and filters, mobil one seems to be the only alternative that holds tried and true. I run the factory synthetic yamalube engine oil in my rmax and always will. Mobil one synthetic for the rest of the components. Ive been apart of the amsoil cult as well, I cant say a bad word about any of those products as long as your shopping top shelf.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I hope not but can't confirm. Presently I'm using all Yamaha stuff. Its not bad money wise online if you can wait and don't need to change it right now.
I ended up looking into it a little. Any wix oil filter that is not an "xp" is made in china. I even used the one above as a reference. If you buy a Wix 51358 oil filter, its Chinese and just has a wix sticker to be rebranded. If you buy a Wix 51358XP, its made in the USA and I can only assume in a actual Wix plant. The XP is prolly the Napa Gold as well. There is going to be a huge difference in material and quality control between the 2. I will never settle on a oil filter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts