Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

221 - 240 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Keep us updated as to how it goes. I was also told that trans rebuild not replacement was the probable outcome if my issue was confirmed with my squealing bearing sound in my trans. Mine started at around 200 miles.
Jimbo, was there any noise at all before 200 miles? I guess I better get some miles on mine to see if I’ll win the transmission failure lottery.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
951 Posts
Jimbo, was there any noise at all before 200 miles? I guess I better get some miles on mine to see if I’ll win the transmission failure lottery.
None, sounded perfectly normal. And never noticed any vibration, until I tested for it, but it did not seem abnormal and my front shaft seemed very tight with no slack.

Reactions: Wolverinegramps

·
Registered
796 Posts
None, sounded perfectly normal. And never noticed any vibration, until I tested for it, but it did not seem abnormal and my front shaft seemed very tight with no slack.
I’ve got about 25 miles on mine now so I better get busy.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I’ve got about 25 miles on mine now so I better get busy.

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, and run that 4 wheel drive to get that front diff broke in too! I probably didn't run mine much after thinking about it, but I should have.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yes, and run that 4 wheel drive to get that front diff broke in too! I probably didn't run mine much after thinking about it, but I should have.
Thanks.
Almost all my miles were in 4 wheel drive. I’ll keep that in mind. After waiting months to get my RMAX I certainly don’t want a failure.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Thanks.
Almost all my miles were in 4 wheel drive. I’ll keep that in mind. After waiting months to get my RMAX I certainly don’t want a failure.
Well hopefully you got a later model that they have already addressed any known problems. Mine was a very early unit, probably in the first 5 in the state I'm guessing, and the 2nd. at my dealer.

·
Registered
Patently waiting to pull the trigger on an RMAX 1000-4 XTR
103 Posts
Keep us updated as to how it goes. I was also told that trans rebuild not replacement was the probable outcome if my issue was confirmed with my squealing bearing sound in my trans. Mine started at around 200 miles.
So your trans issue started at around 200 miles? This is concerning, as the general thinking has been....if ya make it past 80 miles or so, you're good.

·
Registered
951 Posts
So your trans issue started at around 200 miles? This is concerning, as the general thinking has been....if ya make it past 80 miles or so, you're good.
It is not yet confirmed as a trans issue, but It sure sounds like it to me. It could be some other bearing, it sure sounds like a bearing to me. I would be surprised if it were anything else making that kind of sound. Should know maybe next week what they find.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Well hopefully you got a later model that they have already addressed any known problems. Mine was a very early unit, probably in the first 5 in the state I'm guessing, and the 2nd. at my dealer.
I had one of the first machines in Montana in September. No issues with mine and already did the first service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 RMax 2 Gray in Nova Scotia
707 Posts
That's a heck of a first post....

Welcome aboard, and good luck with the speedy repair.

Hello all. I just came across this forum a few days ago. I purchased my rmax 4 xtr in December. Got home with it and unloaded it from the trailer. Took it down my back lane and less that 4 miles the rear wheels locked up on me. That was December 18. The dealer picked it up next day and got it apart and found the input shaft bearing seized. I have talked with Yamaha and my dealer several times. Yamaha rep first tells me this is an isolated issue with the bearing. Talked to rep again 3 days later and now he is saying it’s a know issue with Yamaha now. I asked about just replacing entire transmission and was told they don’t have transmissions available. And parts they are waiting on won’t be available until February 20. Wow

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all. I just came across this forum a few days ago. I purchased my rmax 4 xtr in December. Got home with it and unloaded it from the trailer. Took it down my back lane and less that 4 miles the rear wheels locked up on me. That was December 18. The dealer picked it up next day and got it apart and found the input shaft bearing seized. I have talked with Yamaha and my dealer several times. Yamaha rep first tells me this is an isolated issue with the bearing. Talked to rep again 3 days later and now he is saying it’s a know issue with Yamaha now. I asked about just replacing entire transmission and was told they don’t have transmissions available. And parts they are waiting on won’t be available until February 20. Wow

Welcome to the forum but also sorry it wasn't under better news! Yamaha has proven to be awesome to work with in the rare instances we've had dating all the way back to Yamaha 3 wheelers haha so hoping their customer service will step in for you!

·
Registered
Patently waiting to pull the trigger on an RMAX 1000-4 XTR
103 Posts
Probably going to jinx the whole thing, but does it seem like this thread is slowing down!?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Update - 106 miles in: After hearing some high pitched whining at 15 miles in, everything improved and it has been running fine.

Regardless, I had to take my RMAX2 in for some other problems that I'll list below. Before I took it in, I went ahead and opened a case with Yamaha regarding the transmission due to the seriousness of potentially breaking down in the middle of nowhere. Yamaha instructed the dealer to inspect a number of things.

Between Yamaha and the dealer, this is what they said regarding my RMAX:
1) When a transmission goes, it goes quick with this particular problem.
2) It was likely the clutch making some noise early on - break in. Yamaha noted that there is a one-way bearing in the clutch....
3) If I had a bad tranny bearing, the issue would not have "gotten better" or "gone away"
4) They drained and refilled transmission fluid - old fluid totally clean
5) They took the clutch apart to make sure there was no wear or debris; and that the weights and everything looked good.
6) In summary, they do not believe I have a problematic transmission. They think it is fine

Other problems I had addressed most of which were the original dealer installation issues:
1) cross threaded seat bolts - new dealer retapped and used larger bolts
2) missing muffler clips
3) incorrect hardware on skid plate (could have been manufacturer)
4) re-clocked steering wheel - it was at 1:00 while wheels were straight - manufacturer issue
5) incorrect mirror bracket install using security screws (mirror bracket interfered with Super ATV windshield.)

All that to say, I believe mine is fine after an initial scare. And I got all this other stuff buttoned up so I don't have to screw with it.

Regarding the transmission, if you hear anything bizarre, call Yamaha Customer Support. Ask them to get their tech John involved. Apparently John is closest to the issue. If I had to do it over again, I would ask to speak directly to John rather than the customer support rep who could only relay bits and pieces of info.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Probably going to jinx the whole thing, but does it seem like this thread is slowing down!?
It seems as this whole forum has slowed in the last week.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It seems as this whole forum has slowed in the last week.
Not just the forum..even YouTube I check every day on here and YouTube hoping to find guys really taking these things though some deep mud and water and giving them a bit of beating..there’s nothing on these machines and Already so many crazy krx videos.. I realize krx has been around longer and I guess the guys who buy it buy it more for extreme conditions but lets pick up the pace on these rmax’s im sure they can hold their own!..also I have one coming really soon hopefully and I might have to be the one to give the people what they want lol

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Not just the forum..even YouTube I check every day on here and YouTube hoping to find guys really taking these things though some deep mud and water and giving them a bit of beating..there’s nothing on these machines and Already so many crazy krx videos.. I realize krx has been around longer and I guess the guys who buy it buy it more for extreme conditions but lets pick up the pace on these rmax’s im sure they can hold their own!..also I have one coming really soon hopefully and I might have to be the one to give the people what they want lol
I should phrased that differently. I have noticed every off road forum slow in the past week or so. I think many offroaders are pretty like minded have taken notice of recent events. Youtube has slowed for stuff I look for but I just figured that was the weather.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
We are all broke or to lazy to film and post stuff (I'm very guilty of the latter but trying to do better with at least pictures)

221 - 240 of 255 Posts