Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

201 - 220 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha Rmax4 Xtr.
16 Posts
Just giving everyone an update. The dealer called with good news after speaking with Yamaha. They are aware of the forum and they are working hard to fix these issues. According to my dealer, Yamaha is replacing my whole trans along with new clutches and the belt. The Yamaha tech said that the the clear fluid that is in these units is correct and not to change from the recommended fluid. As of now I do not have a repair ETA. They also said that there has not been 15 reported cases to Yamaha, but he did not tell me an actual number either. They believe there is a small batch of faulty bearings and they are working to run them down before any more failures. I have no talked to Yamaha about providing the extended warranty for the downtime, but I'm confident they will take care of their customers.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX2 XTR
17 Posts
Just giving everyone an update. The dealer called with good news after speaking with Yamaha. They are aware of the forum and they are working hard to fix these issues. According to my dealer, Yamaha is replacing my whole trans along with new clutches and the belt. The Yamaha tech said that the the clear fluid that is in these units is correct and not to change from the recommended fluid. As of now I do not have a repair ETA. They also said that there has not been 15 reported cases to Yamaha, but he did not tell me an actual number either. They believe there is a small batch of faulty bearings and they are working to run them down before any more failures. I have no talked to Yamaha about providing the extended warranty for the downtime, but I'm confident they will take care of their customers.
That's encouraging. Just hope I don't have one of those bearings on this beast of mine!! Wonder if there's a way to find out what batch of RMAX's got these bearings by VIN or other.

·
Registered
2021 RMax 2 Gray in Nova Scotia
721 Posts
Sounds like that's what they're trying to hunt down. But if the numbers are low and vin numbers are scattered, it'll be more difficult.

I'm certain that Yamaha will quickly notify owners whose machine could be affected though.

That's encouraging. Just hope I don't have one of those bearings on this beast of mine!! Wonder if there's a way to find out what batch of RMAX's got these bearings by VIN or other.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha Rmax4 Xtr.
16 Posts
Sounded to me like they were going to run it down. He also said all failures were very low mileage so if you have 100 plus miles I doubt yours will fail.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
There are 22 unit just in this thread so I wouldn't put much weight on his numbers.

·
Registered
2021 Rmax2 XTR
6 Posts
That is good news for certain.Thanks for the update....
Like all of you I have been following this thread closely. I don't have anything substantial to add beyond a few observations of my own.

As stated in my thread yesterday my factory fill level was at the "low" mark of being in range . The fluid did not smell like GL5 gear oil...or look like it. Very clear...not quite as clear as water but not far off. It appeared thin to be 80-90 GL5 gear oil. I drained and refilled it with the Yamaha shaft drive oil 80/90 GL4/GL5 rated that my dealer sold me . I filled it with the stated quantity of 1.48 qts. ( how yamaha comes up with these exact amounts I will never understand). After checking it I found it to be on the "low" hash mark. It required (or would require) several more ounces to bring it to the "full" hash mark on the dipstick....it still looked the same as factory fill ....tough to see on dipstick but smelled "normal" . I'm curious if anyone else has refilled with the required amount and come up low on the dipstick.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha Rmax4 Xtr.
16 Posts
Like all of you I have been following this thread closely. I don't have anything substantial to add beyond a few observations of my own.

As stated in my thread yesterday my factory fill level was at the "low" mark of being in range . The fluid did not smell like GL5 gear oil...or look like it. Very clear...not quite as clear as water but not far off. It appeared thin to be 80-90 GL5 gear oil. I drained and refilled it with the Yamaha shaft drive oil 80/90 GL4/GL5 rated that my dealer sold me . I filled it with the stated quantity of 1.48 qts. ( how yamaha comes up with these exact amounts I will never understand). After checking it I found it to be on the "low" hash mark. It required (or would require) several more ounces to bring it to the "full" hash mark on the dipstick....it still looked the same as factory fill ....tough to see on dipstick but smelled "normal" . I'm curious if anyone else has refilled with the required amount and come up low on the dipstick.
Have you remeasured this after the transmission was up to temperature?

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX2 XTR
17 Posts
Sounded to me like they were going to run it down. He also said all failures were very low mileage so if you have 100 plus miles I doubt yours will fail.
I just picked mine up Tuesday night and have maybe 15 miles on it. Most of which I just put on this afternoon running around the neighborhood. Thing is awesome and you can ask my 4 year old daughter! She loved it! If it fails, it fails. What warranties are for as long as they fix it right. Thanks for keeping us informed.

·
Registered
2021 RMax 2 Gray in Nova Scotia
721 Posts
They probably start with metric which is 1.4L. Then converts to the odd imp number.

·
Registered
Montana, USA
25 Posts
When I did the first service on my 2020 X2 (Bought new in August, build date in July) it's gear oil was also very clear and seemed thinner than I expected. I assumed it was some special break-in oil. I replaced it with Valvoline 80W-90 GL5 which is the normal honey color.

Anyway, it looks like Yamaha started using this clear stuff some time ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello i was wondering why utv and dirt tracks mags are not writing articles on this issue / we"ve just put our down payment on an xtr and with this kind of an issue maybe yamaha should sell this machine with the extended warranty included for no extra price or up the factory warranty to 3 or 4 yrs thou ive never needed to use my warranty on my 05 kodiak its been pure quality and reliabiliy from day one but not this costy either / hopefuly i get mine in may for trip to little turtle in kentucky or to haspin acres or to the bad lands in indiana for first off road trip of the year . but only after the break in period in done will keep read forum and checking out breakin tips from you folks

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
hello i was wondering why utv and dirt tracks mags are not writing articles on this issue / we"ve just put our down payment on an xtr and with this kind of an issue maybe yamaha should sell this machine with the extended warranty included for no extra price or up the factory warranty to 3 or 4 yrs thou ive never needed to use my warranty on my 05 kodiak its been pure quality and reliabiliy from day one but not this costy either / hopefuly i get mine in may for trip to little turtle in kentucky or to haspin acres or to the bad lands in indiana for first off road trip of the year . but only after the break in period in done will keep read forum and checking out breakin tips from you folks
UTV and dirt track magazines writing about 1% or less than 15 units having a problem? They barely write about all the Polaris issues. UTV and dirt track magazines don't sell subscriptions by focusing on minority issues. They sell them pimping models and focusing on handling, power, comfort, ride, noise, etc. not recalls and such.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
You will not see a magazine write anything about an issue with any model or product. They don't want chance losing any ad dollars.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I did the 1st service today. As far as the transmission goes, I did notice the almost clear, hard to read on the stick fluid that has been discussed when it was brand new as well as before the service. Viscosity is a hard read just based on the dipstick. When I dropped the fluid it was still very clean but maybe not quite as clear as brand new. More honey I’d say. Again viscosity is hard to tell when you’ve just took it for a drive to warm up the fluids so they’ll drain and then putting cold oil back in.
I get the color spoken of regarding typical gear oil, much darker. I smelled what came out and smelled what i put in and I’m no blood hound but I can’t say I could tell a difference.
What I put in was 75w 90 Mobil1 synthetic and guess what, it’s very clear in color and I can hardly read it on the stick. Maybe there putting synthetic in them from factory

So based on what I used to replace it I could tell no difference visually or by smell!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. I just came across this forum a few days ago. I purchased my rmax 4 xtr in December. Got home with it and unloaded it from the trailer. Took it down my back lane and less that 4 miles the rear wheels locked up on me. That was December 18. The dealer picked it up next day and got it apart and found the input shaft bearing seized. I have talked with Yamaha and my dealer several times. Yamaha rep first tells me this is an isolated issue with the bearing. Talked to rep again 3 days later and now he is saying it’s a know issue with Yamaha now. I asked about just replacing entire transmission and was told they don’t have transmissions available. And parts they are waiting on won’t be available until February 20. Wow

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
970 Posts
Hello all. I just came across this forum a few days ago. I purchased my rmax 4 xtr in December. Got home with it and unloaded it from the trailer. Took it down my back lane and less that 4 miles the rear wheels locked up on me. That was December 18. The dealer picked it up next day and got it apart and found the input shaft bearing seized. I have talked with Yamaha and my dealer several times. Yamaha rep first tells me this is an isolated issue with the bearing. Talked to rep again 3 days later and now he is saying it’s a know issue with Yamaha now. I asked about just replacing entire transmission and was told they don’t have transmissions available. And parts they are waiting on won’t be available until February 20. Wow
Keep us updated as to how it goes. I was also told that trans rebuild not replacement was the probable outcome if my issue was confirmed with my squealing bearing sound in my trans. Mine started at around 200 miles.

·
Registered
803 Posts
That sure sucks! It’s bad enough having a failure but having to wait that long is frustrating to say the least. I won’t make excuses for Yamaha but Covid has caused some serious shortages. I’m still waiting for a rear brush guard I ordered in September.
Tried to purchase a trailer. I was told 6 to 7 month wait.

201 - 220 of 255 Posts