Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

181 - 200 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
UPDATE8: We have 2 more reports (on social media). Both US customers. One happened at 2 hours / 18 miles and the other at 2-3 hours and 33 miles. Both were taking it very easy when it happened. Yamaha has taken care of ALL customers affected and I haven't heard of a negative response from affected customers from Yamaha corporate or from dealerships until now. One customer is what seems to me to be getting the run around from his dealership and we can only wait to see what happens after the dealership finalizes its inspection.

I'm hearing more reports of transmission fluid that was filled from the factory being too light and not being gear oil. Those of you doing your 1st service, please take note of what color and viscosity the transmission oil is when you drain it. Despite these reports of non gear oil being used, the bearing should still have adequate lubrication vs gear oil.

If it turns out to be a bad batch of bearings, then doing my 'jack the passenger side up' trick isn't going to really make a difference, but until we have more data to confirm or deny one or the other (bad bearing vs installed dry), I'm suggesting to give it a try.
I would be pulling a sample and sending it off to Blackstone. Better yet on a new unit have the dealer pull the sample before leaving and pay them so there is a receipt. It may CYA is there is a problem on down the road.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Just checked my tranny oil and can't even see it on the stick. It's there because my cloth is wet, but you can't see it and it drips off like water. Also checked the rear differential and I see no fluid at the brim of the hole like the manual says you should. Ughhhh
I started a thread on low fluids. It’s very common. My trans was low my final was low and my diff wasn’t even half full. The buck stops with the dealer but I put this on Yamaha quality control. They better start upping their game it’s B.S.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My trans fluid was kind of clear and on the thin side. At 108 miles I changed it out for gl5 80w90 , I have had no issues and no strange noise,,, I hope Yamaha can narrow this down and make a statement to set our minds at ease. I spoke with a Yamaha rep the other day and he assured me that no matter what in or out of warranty if this trans fails that Yamaha will take care of it. I just don’t want that to be the case

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I’m hoping that Gear Butter i topped mine off with when it was low before I ever drove it is going to have value!

Reactions: MassiveOverkill

·
Registered
734 Posts
Noticed that as well when I changed all my fluids yesterday. The trans was in the right level. However was a light viscosity and clearish. Definitely didn't seem like a gear oil. Engine level was good and front and final. Guess my dealer did a good pre inspection. Glad to get that crap out and changed to all synthetics.

Reactions: Budro2

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I spoke with a Yamaha rep the other day and he assured me that no matter what in or out of warranty if this trans fails that Yamaha will take care of it. I just don’t want that to be the case
You should have got that in writing.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Just checked my tranny oil and can't even see it on the stick. It's there because my cloth is wet, but you can't see it and it drips off like water. Also checked the rear differential and I see no fluid at the brim of the hole like the manual says you should. Ughhhh
After being told that everything was checked by them, be sure to give them an extremely poor review when you get it via Email. This is what I did and the dealer had someone call me the next day. The guy was supposedly put in charge of being detective and trying to tighten up mistakes at the dealer. At least that was their story but hopefully it helps them clean up their act.

Reactions: NorHawk

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #194

·
Registered
724 Posts
Does what's in there smell like gear oil? When I've changed diff fluid, the gear oil has a pretty distinct smell to it. Not sure if that's a surefire way to tell or not but just a thought.

Reactions: Budro2

·
Registered
2021 Rmax2 XTR
6 Posts
I have about 50 miles on my machine....doing my first service (yeah it's early but I prefer to get factory fluids out). My transmission fluid level was on the low mark of the dipstick and did NOT smell like GL5 gear oil....not even close. I added an additional quart, slowly drove it down driveway and back into garage and jacked up pass side as high as possible...will be changing out fluid tomorrow and keeping my fingers crossed that there are no issues with bearing .......

181 - 200 of 255 Posts