Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Rmax2 1000
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am new to the RMAX family and to this point I love the machine yet I am still in the break in process. I have been wanting to get started on a few things prior to the hunting season and I have run into a few things that I am currently researching but I have found zero information on this one… I have a new 2022 RMAX2 1000 R-Spec, and it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles that some of the models do, but I was interested in the footwell lights and adding them to the rig. From what I understand they are activated with key-on… but apparently they stay on? I would like to be able to control when they come on and off and since I have a gazillion cutouts, I didn’t think a switch would be out of the question. So… I am making an assumption that I will find the infamous “white connectors” behind the panels BUT, has anyone added a switch to the system to kill the lights while running? I am also making an assumption that that circuit is also the 10A key on circuit that has pigtails everywhere? I tried to do my due diligence and search the forum for anyone adding or modifying those lights, but not much out there that I could find. Service manual has not shown up yet, but I like to plan when it comes to adding accessories and have everything I need before I start. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,490 Posts
Yes you will find white OEM connectors located in each of the spots behind where the rubber plugs are. there is about 6" of wire on the back of each light so the connectors actually aren't right there but a few inches back. The hardest one to find was the one for the drivers footwell light when I added them to mine. It is really a super simple and straight forward install though. I wasn't worried about them being on in the day so I left the install all factory. Everything else lights up already including the rockers I've added so may as well let everything glow.

·
Registered
2021 Red-neck Edition RMAX2 XT-R
1,350 Posts
So I am new to the RMAX family and to this point I love the machine yet I am still in the break in process. I have been wanting to get started on a few things prior to the hunting season and I have run into a few things that I am currently researching but I have found zero information on this one… I have a new 2022 RMAX2 1000 R-Spec, and it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles that some of the models do, but I was interested in the footwell lights and adding them to the rig. From what I understand they are activated with key-on… but apparently they stay on? I would like to be able to control when they come on and off and since I have a gazillion cutouts, I didn’t think a switch would be out of the question. So… I am making an assumption that I will find the infamous “white connectors” behind the panels BUT, has anyone added a switch to the system to kill the lights while running? I am also making an assumption that that circuit is also the 10A key on circuit that has pigtails everywhere? I tried to do my due diligence and search the forum for anyone adding or modifying those lights, but not much out there that I could find. Service manual has not shown up yet, but I like to plan when it comes to adding accessories and have everything I need before I start. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
On the 2021 models, some models were wired for well lights and some were not. In the models that come with well lights, Yamaha uses the Signal System Fuse (7.5A) to power them. That fuse also lights up the Meter Assy. behind the steering wheel.
If your machine was pre wired for the well lights you should be able to find 3 two wire connectors behind the fire wall somewhere. Those wires are colored Brown with a Yellow stripe, and Black.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,490 Posts
Reactions: therebel19

·
Premium Member
2022 Rmax2 1000
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, the install will be simple. Trick is, I would like to turn them off. problem I might run into is, if that is the same circuit throughout the vehicle I may have a difficult time isolating the lights on that circuit. Regardless, I might be better off waiting till I get the service manual to review the wiring diagram and see where all that circuit ends up. However wolvymanx4, you have pointed out an obvious point I missed… the cluster will still be lit and I have no way to turn it down either. I appreciate the input guys, I didn’t think outside the box far enough to realize I will be dealing with other ambient light as well. Again, I appreciate y’alls input, thank you!

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,490 Posts
Thanks guys, the install will be simple. Trick is, I would like to turn them off. problem I might run into is, if that is the same circuit throughout the vehicle I may have a difficult time isolating the lights on that circuit. Regardless, I might be better off waiting till I get the service manual to review the wiring diagram and see where all that circuit ends up. However wolvymanx4, you have pointed out an obvious point I missed… the cluster will still be lit and I have no way to turn it down either. I appreciate the input guys, I didn’t think outside the box far enough to realize I will be dealing with other ambient light as well. Again, I appreciate y’alls input, thank you!
Anytime. I thought I'd share this though. The light stays pretty low in the vehicle even at night. Here's my RMAX with my key on so they are on and my rock lights on. It wasn't quite all the way dark but I still think it's a good example.
Automotive lighting Purple Entertainment Performing arts Musical instrument

Reactions: Snookafied

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
The cluster meter is dimmable. Get your power from the above pigtail and run that to the rocker switch. Then run your foot well lights off the rocker. That way nothing else is turned off when you turn the rocker off. The foot well LEDs don't pull much power so a relay shouldn't be needed. For good measure, I'd add a fuse between the pigtail and rocker switch.

·
Premium Member
2022 Rmax2 1000
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know it’s sounds a little crazy to want to kill all the lights, but we’re gonna use this rig primarily for huntin. Its not so much to avoid scaring the game (engine noise takes care of that) but more for us to get our eyes used to the dark. We use our rig to get a few of the miles done, but walk the last 3rd or so and we try not to use any kind of light to do the last part of the hike in. I don’t think the blue will be as bad, and as soon as they come in and I get them installed I’ll give it a test run on hogs anyway. I love this thing… spoiled with power steering! 😊
thank you for the pic Wolvymanx4!

·
Premium Member
2022 Rmax2 1000
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could go custom with aftermarket red rock lights on a toggle for interior lights vs the factory Yamaha blue lights. supposedly red lets your eyes adjust quicker to full dark,
yeah, Red was what we used in the military. But my OCD won’t allowed me to mix colors on the new ride. 😆 I think I will be fine. Just one of those details I need to work on a little at a time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts