Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We broke a passenger side tire rod on our new 1000 Rmax at about 900 miles. I don’t know if I hit a rock too hard or what but fortunately it actually broke at very low speed. Has anyone else had problems with tie rods on these machines?

·
Registered
399 Posts
We broke a passenger side tire rod on our new 1000 Rmax at about 900 miles. I don’t know if I hit a rock too hard or what but fortunately it actually broke at very low speed. Has anyone else had problems with tie rods on these machines?
Thanks for the share
Any more details, what type of terrain(rock crawling, normal trail riding), using diff lock?

Reactions: therebel19

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are lots of rocks down here in Arizona where I’m riding and maybe I just hit one too hard I don’t know. At the time it actually came apart and my front wheel went sideways I was going very slow so that was good. The tire rod bent and it broke off right at the threads.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
This are the one situtaions where power can screw you. I never had a problem on the Rhino until I went with power steering. Its just too easy to steer into something that will damage something. On the other side I broke my thumb without power steering because I was stupid and had my hand wrapped around the steering wheel. I guess its a gamble, break the machine or break yourself, if your going to ride hard.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I have not encountered anyone who has had this problem however, that being said, When the wildcat, by....Arctic cat?,first came out, I think it was back in ‘14 or ‘15, Everyone was breaking front Tie-rods on that thing, particularly the passenger side. Turns out it was a engineering f—k up. I have heard they corrected that, but way back then when I heard that, I went down to my local tractor supply, and bought a roll of steel bailing wire to carry in my kit JIC. Good thing I did, because this last summer in 2020 on a Paiute Trail jamboree Road in Utah,, a Polaris razor broke a tire rod. We were going over some fairly rough terrain but nothing radical, but we were climbing over granite crushed rock. I pulled over, saw the problem right away. Took a line from the movie blazing saddles, “Excuse me while I whip this out” lol. Wired it up with the bailing wire so he could at least limp back to Marysvale. The moral of the story? Carry bailing wire. Do you have to go to a farm or ranch supply. No one in a hardware store knows what the f—k bailing wire is....Well maybe a rural hardware store,

·
Registered
399 Posts
This are the one situtaions where power can screw you. I never had a problem on the Rhino until I went with power steering. Its just too easy to steer into something that will damage something. On the other side I broke my thumb without power steering because I was stupid and had my hand wrapped around the steering wheel. I guess its a gamble, break the machine or break yourself, if your going to ride hard.
I did a long and steep climb in the summer that looked like it just got rough at the top around the bend. Once you got up there it quickly got a lot worse. So much so that as I was focused on staying on the throttle and identifying my line, a rut actually bucked my hands right of the steering wheel. Even though it caught me off guard and it wasn't how I drew it up, I figured it was probably for the best. Sure with power steering I probably could have held the wheel rock solid and powered through, but if it was enough torque to buck my hands, it could have been enough torque to bust a tie rod(or axel if diff lock were on). Goes without saying Yamaha builds these things well but they're not indestructible

Reactions: therebel19
1 - 9 of 9 Posts