Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

RMAX 1000 Android / IPAD Tablet Mod Thread

46K views 120 replies 33 participants last post by  valleyhit 
#1 · (Edited)
For discussing the installation and options of various types of tablets and the apps people are using on them in the RMAX 1000 other than the Adventure Pro.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
So I've seen this mod done by a couple of people on the RMAX FB group and I have been thinking about doing it for a while now. Nevertheless I finally decided to go for it. I have seen it done using both Android tablets and IPAD Minis. I prefer Android so I went with the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" with the Otterbox Defender case like the guy in the above pics did. I think it fits very well and looks super clean. I already got my Otterbox but haven't received my tablet in the mail yet. I'll update the first post with pictures of my own setup after I get it installed. I paid less than $20 for the Otterbox and just under $65 for a refurbished 2018 Tab A 8 on Ebay. There are newer Tab A 8 versions out there but there doesn't seem to be any Otterbox Defender cases available for them. There are still new 2018 tablets available out there but being that this is still basically an experiment for me I wasn't looking to spend a whole lot and the tablet I bought is supposed to be in excellent like new condition from a very reputable Ebay seller.

#3 · (Edited)
I have some stainless hardware that I am going to use for the install. I don't think that it will be necessary to go super heavy hardware. I do think that I will go with a bit smaller screws than the RMAX owner in the first post pics did ( I think anyway not knowing the size they chose ) but I will probably do 4 screws in a rectangular pattern. (Sorry, I changed out the pics of the screw type and mounting of the other RMAX owners mod that were in the original first post for mine now that it's done)

OK. If you read this post before I called an audible on the hardware that I was going to use. I originally was going to use 5mm stainless screws with lock nuts but when I finally got down to the nitty gritty I decided to go even smaller so I used 3mm Stainless Hex screws with nylon lock nuts. I believe that this size is more than adequate for the task. Also because of the gap behind the Otterbox and the surface that it is being mounted to being larger on the bottom than the top I used two different length screws. I used 20mm long on the top and 25mm long for the bottom.

#4 · (Edited)
So I got the mount installed. It came out super clean. Again I can't wait until the tablet arrives. It is so nice that the Adventure Pro compartment lid just pops off and on without any tools. It makes this mod super easy. I will update any relevant pics when I actually get my tablet in the Otterbox.

Update. Got my tablet finally. Love it!

#103 ·
Nice keep me in the loop on what you find. I've used a few different gps speedos back in my all wheeler days because I always rode a sport quad that didn't have a speedometer and they worked great but I've never experimented with any of the gps trail apps. A buddy I've ridden with used one he liked for a while before getting his Garmin but I haven't asked him what it was called. I'm not to concerned about it yet because I know my way around the mountains that I ride regularly. The tablet is mainly for my music and giving whomever is riding shotgun access to my mp3 collection on that is normally in my pocket on my phone.
Looks great. I just moved from 2020X2 to Rmax and did something similar. Do you have any pic's of the side of your machine. I had the same tires and wheels you have listed on my old X2 and would really like to see how they look on the Rmax. Thanks!

#5 ·

#9 · (Edited)
#6 ·
#7 ·
I know, right. I totally thought the same thing. I can't wait to get my tablet. I know that I will not ever have the RPM readouts as well a as a couple other things that the Adventure Pro does but to play my music through the OEM stereo via bluetooth as well as having a GPS Speedo and being able to use the GPS apps or others that I choose will be awesome!

Reactions: JEL and Hahny
#10 ·
What app are you planning on using?

#11 ·
Not sure yet. I'll probably download a few different things to experiment with at first.

#12 ·
Looks amazing! So the tablet will work with gps even off network? Might be a silly question, I just know that my navigation apps do not work without cell service.

#13 ·
Thanks and yes. Many apps that are strictly GPS based work great without a network connection.

#14 ·
Good to know! I will likely be doing this after I get some other accessories knocked out first. I still need a sun top and a windshield. Just picked up my rmax4 last week

#16 ·
I just finished my tablet install also. Definitely not as clean as yours but it works. I used a galaxy tab A 8 inch. It fits right in the dash but cant put it on charge to tight. I fab it from stuff I had in the garage. Using Canada topo for the GPS right now. I made easy to remove so I can put in the jeep when needed.

Attachments

#50 ·
Reactions: wolvymanx4
#17 ·
Right on. There ya go. Anybody else done one yet or planning to?

#19 ·
As soon as I hear about GPS based apps that work great I'll push the buy button on the same tablet and case as you. I'm downloading different apps on my phone right now, im curious of ON-X will work without a data signal.

#22 · (Edited)
Nice. A buddy of mine at work that is a hunting guide out here uses that one as well. He said that he really likes it.

#27 ·
So what are the recommendations on GPS apps?

#28 ·
Wish I knew. LOL. My tablet still hasn't came yet. It was sent priority from the east coast but I think because of the lithium battery it had to travel ground. It finally got to UT today so I'll bet I get it Monday. There have been A few recommendations already though. I did Google "GPS Apps that work without a network connection" and got several results. I just haven't tried any yet.

#33 ·
Thanks for starting this thread Wolvyman. I have a 2019 Samsung 8” tablet. I used a Ram mount 7-8” tablet cradle to mount mine. I had to install spacers behind the cradle so it would operate properly. I’m very pleased with the outcome.

#36 ·
No problem partner. Anytime. Your mod came out great. Very nice!

Reactions: Wolverinegramps
#35 ·
Just ordered my Tab 3 and Otterbox.....

#38 · (Edited)
So I got my tablet finally and have been setting it up. I've downloaded some apps to tinker with and some cool wallpapers for my home and lock screens. I hate to admit it but I decided to try the Polaris ride command app for GPS at the moment. Mainly because I ride with some Polaris guys and I want to try the group ride feature with them. Overall I am very pleased so far and can't wait to go riding and try everything.

#39 ·
Nicely done. I too was reluctant to own anything Polaris or put such in my RMax. However the app is heavily used and lots of good trail info. I used it a few times, not as gps guidance but as a map to see where I am and need to go.

I also have Locus and OsmAnd which work very well. These are good for motorcycle adventures if going from pavement to dirt. These two I'll be using on my Newfoundland trip as I'll be going from a trail to then finding a motel or groceries.

#40 ·
HaHaHa. I feel the same. Thats why you don't see the icon for the Polaris app on my home screen. That suckers hidden in the app menu so nobody knows. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh🤫 Don't tell nobody.

#42 ·
Got my Tab A but the otterbox was the wrong one. Ordered correct one. I have been playing with OnX free trial and I like it. When the tablet is horizontal, I do not get the full menu and options. That might bug me. We will see this weekend!

#43 ·

I would like to try this and a bluetooth app on a tablet if possible. This is a yamaha 4 pin to obd adapter. Its on amazon. I wonder if anyone has gotten this to work?

#44 ·
I played with that, but couldn't get it to work. I thought I could turn a tablet into a diagnostics screen similar to the advpro.

I downloaded a few different apps that would give speed, fuel mileage, approx range, temps rpms etc. No troubles bluetoothing the device. The device just not picking up the info from the machine.

If I get a chance today I'll plug it it and give it a try again, as I can't remember the faults I was getting.

#45 ·
i also have a tab A 8" but for 2019.. can't find an otterbox that says it will fit it, but i found other cases that will. so i'll rock one of those instead. I'm going to follow this thread a little more for apps though. I was playing with OnX a little last night before bed. I like it so far, but i'm always hesitant on paying for subscriptions lol

#48 ·
I have this case:
SUPCASE [Unicorn Beetle Pro] Case Designed for Galaxy Tab A 8.0 (SM-T295/SM-T290), with Built-in Screen Protector Full-Body Rugged Heavy Duty Case for Galaxy Tab A 8.0 2019 Release (Black)
and this cradle: RAM-HOL-TAB29U
They don't make a Otterbox case for the 2019 model so I had to use this setup. You can see pictures of it installed in my earlier posts. You will need something as a spacer behind the cradle so you can open it to insert your tablet. There is a spring loaded slide that allows you to install 7 and 8" tablets. I mounted mine so the slide was on the right side of the cradle. I mounted the cradle as far to the left as possible.

#46 ·
Welcome to Avenza it really is one of the better free built software apps out there for this sort of use. It has tracking with distance, average speed, allows the user to drop pins as well as different color pins, pin with notes as well as pictures.

Red circle is for location of you and if you’re the focus of the turns, The flag with the dot is for pins, and the green circle is for your pin locations in latitude and longitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#47 ·
that is also another program i downloaded onto the tablet last night. looking forward to exploring it a little today sometime