Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For discussing the installation and options of various types of tablets and the apps people are using on them in the RMAX 1000 other than the Adventure Pro.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So I've seen this mod done by a couple of people on the RMAX FB group and I have been thinking about doing it for a while now. Nevertheless I finally decided to go for it. I have seen it done using both Android tablets and IPAD Minis. I prefer Android so I went with the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" with the Otterbox Defender case like the guy in the above pics did. I think it fits very well and looks super clean. I already got my Otterbox but haven't received my tablet in the mail yet. I'll update the first post with pictures of my own setup after I get it installed. I paid less than $20 for the Otterbox and just under $65 for a refurbished 2018 Tab A 8 on Ebay. There are newer Tab A 8 versions out there but there doesn't seem to be any Otterbox Defender cases available for them. There are still new 2018 tablets available out there but being that this is still basically an experiment for me I wasn't looking to spend a whole lot and the tablet I bought is supposed to be in excellent like new condition from a very reputable Ebay seller.

Reactions: Mountain_Chief

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have some stainless hardware that I am going to use for the install. I don't think that it will be necessary to go super heavy hardware. I do think that I will go with a bit smaller screws than the RMAX owner in the first post pics did ( I think anyway not knowing the size they chose ) but I will probably do 4 screws in a rectangular pattern. (Sorry, I changed out the pics of the screw type and mounting of the other RMAX owners mod that were in the original first post for mine now that it's done)

OK. If you read this post before I called an audible on the hardware that I was going to use. I originally was going to use 5mm stainless screws with lock nuts but when I finally got down to the nitty gritty I decided to go even smaller so I used 3mm Stainless Hex screws with nylon lock nuts. I believe that this size is more than adequate for the task. Also because of the gap behind the Otterbox and the surface that it is being mounted to being larger on the bottom than the top I used two different length screws. I used 20mm long on the top and 25mm long for the bottom.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So I got the mount installed. It came out super clean. Again I can't wait until the tablet arrives. It is so nice that the Adventure Pro compartment lid just pops off and on without any tools. It makes this mod super easy. I will update any relevant pics when I actually get my tablet in the Otterbox.

Update. Got my tablet finally. Love it!

·
Registered
2021 RMAX 2 XT-R
290 Posts
Reactions: wolvymanx4

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is super clean looking! Almost looks like it came from the factory that way.
I know, right. I totally thought the same thing. I can't wait to get my tablet. I know that I will not ever have the RPM readouts as well a as a couple other things that the Adventure Pro does but to play my music through the OEM stereo via bluetooth as well as having a GPS Speedo and being able to use the GPS apps or others that I choose will be awesome!

Reactions: JEL and Hahny

·
Registered
2021 RMAX 2 LE
75 Posts
I know, right. I totally thought the same thing. I can't wait to get my tablet. I know that I will not ever have the RPM readouts as well a as a couple other things that the Adventure Pro does but to play my music through the OEM stereo via bluetooth as well as having a GPS Speedo and being able to use the GPS apps or others that I choose will be awesome!
I have the LE. It's nice to have the machine info in big lettering but I would not buy the Adventure Pro as an add on. I don't use the Magellan much because I have OsmAnd maps side loaded on it. I ride in the Manistee National Forest, which is piecemealed, so it's delineates the boundaries with a green dash and it also has trails.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2021 X4 2021 Kodiak 700
249 Posts
What app are you planning on using?

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks and yes. Many apps that are strictly GPS based work great without a network connection.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good to know! I will likely be doing this after I get some other accessories knocked out first. I still need a sun top and a windshield. Just picked up my rmax4 last week
Congrats on the new ride! You'll love it. It definitely wasn't the first thing on my list either. LOL. Didn't even consider such a thing until I seen a couple people on the RMAX FB group do it. Hopefully you get your roof quicker than I did. Took almost 2 months for me to get one back when I got my RMAX. Hopefully things are better these days. Good luck!

Reactions: Timboslice

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just finished my tablet install also. Definitely not as clean as yours but it works. I used a galaxy tab A 8 inch. It fits right in the dash but cant put it on charge to tight. I fab it from stuff I had in the garage. Using Canada topo for the GPS right now. I made easy to remove so I can put in the jeep when needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right on. There ya go. Anybody else done one yet or planning to?

·
Registered
2021 X4 2021 Kodiak 700
249 Posts
Right on. There ya go. Anybody else done one yet or planning to?
As soon as I hear about GPS based apps that work great I'll push the buy button on the same tablet and case as you. I'm downloading different apps on my phone right now, im curious of ON-X will work without a data signal.

Reactions: wolvymanx4

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As soon as I hear about GPS based apps that work great I'll push the buy button on the same tablet and case as you. I'm downloading different apps on my phone right now, im curious of ON-X will work without a data signal.
Nice keep me in the loop on what you find. I've used a few different gps speedos back in my all wheeler days because I always rode a sport quad that didn't have a speedometer and they worked great but I've never experimented with any of the gps trail apps. A buddy I've ridden with used one he liked for a while before getting his Garmin but I haven't asked him what it was called. I'm not to concerned about it yet because I know my way around the mountains that I ride regularly. The tablet is mainly for my music and giving whomever is riding shotgun access to my mp3 collection on that is normally in my pocket on my phone.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts