Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For discussing and showing pics of different types of aftermarket steering wheels and mounting hubs for the RMAX 1000.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I figured I'd start a thread on steering wheels since I've had a few questions about it since I bought my new one. I figured that I'd start with the measurement of the OEM RMAX steering wheel and what it looks like when you pull the cover off and reveal the steering wheel nut. The OEM steering wheel in 13.5" in diameter. For those that may want a different size this is the baseline measurement.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Removing the steering wheel was pretty easy with the right puller. You need to use a leg type puller. Venom turned me on to the Performance Tool puller sold at Oreillys Auto parts. It was only $17.99 and made quick work of removing the OEM steering wheel. It will also remove the Assault Industries steering wheel hub with some washers and two 5mm bolts (I had to actually do that in pulling my new steering wheel on and off due to taking test drives trying to get the new steering wheel as straight as possible). The center bolt cover of the OEM wheel just pops off and then you remove the 19mm steering wheel nut. Once done you just insert the puller legs into the holes in the OEM wheel and tighten the 17mm center puller bolt until the wheels pops off. Here's the link to get the steering wheel puller:
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ce-tool-steering-wheel-puller-set/pfm0/w80651

Reactions: Venom

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok so now for the measurements of that I've been asked about of the Assault Industries Ballistic D flat bottom steering wheel that I decided to try on the RMAX. At first glance holding the wheel in my hand I thought that it was larger than the OEM steering wheel but that was an illusion because the tape measure doesn't lie. It is actually a tad smaller. Horizontally it measures 13" and vertically it measures 11.5" to the flat bottom.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Git it installed. Love it! It's sooooo SIC!!! I have to get off to work but I'll edit this post with the installation later. Here's some pics.

The installation was pretty straight forward. Except for this washer that said it was for Yamaha/Honda in the instructions. All it did was stop and wedge itself halfway up the tapered part it the steering shaft. I opted to leave it off. I dont know if the older Wolverines and Vikings or the Honda Talons steering shafts aren't tapered so you need the washer or what but I watched so youtube vids of the installation of the hub done on YXZ's and its shaft was tapered as well and the washer was omitted so I left it out as well.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2022 RMAX2 1000 XT-R
204 Posts
I figured I'd start a thread on steering wheels since I've had a few questions about it since I bought my new one. I figured that I'd start with the measurement of the OEM RMAX steering wheel and what it looks like when you pull the cover off and reveal the steering wheel nut. The OEM steering wheel in 13.5" in diameter. For those that may want a different size this is the baseline measurement. View attachment 95456 View attachment 95457
Is there a way to modify the stock cover plate to make it go Beep-Beep? Would love to keep the Yamaha Tuning fork emblem intact.
DragonFire makes this for their wheels:

Maybe I could transfer the Yamaha emblem to this. And, it would open up a rocker switch spot.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there a way to modify the stock cover plate to make it go Beep-Beep? Would love to keep the Yamaha Tuning fork emblem intact.
DragonFire makes this for their wheels:
View attachment 95462
Maybe I could transfer the Yamaha emblem to this. And, it would open up a rocker switch spot.
The tough part would probably be getting the necessary wiring up through the column and into the wheel in a way that wouldn't damage it when turning the steering wheel. Lots of aftermarket 6 bolt steering wheels have horn button options but most cars are already set up with a mechanism that allows the wheel to spin and the steering wheels electronic controls to function.

Reactions: DirtRoadWarrior

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sweet! Thanks for the tip. I picked one up at Oreillys on my lunch hour today. Looks to be the exact type needed. I think my hub may actually arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to get everything installed.

Reactions: Venom

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Udated above posts.

·
Registered
266 Posts
so what do you like better about this wheel?

I ask because I noticed that the rubber is softer on the Rmax wheel vs. the X2 wheel and I am considering upgrading one or both as the softer wheel makes for a nicer over all experience when riding.

Reactions: wolvymanx4

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so what do you like better about this wheel?

I ask because I noticed that the rubber is softer on the Rmax wheel vs. the X2 wheel and I am considering upgrading one or both as the softer wheel makes for a nicer over all experience when riding.
I had to have it mainly because I've never put a bad ass steering wheel on anything before. I haven't hit the trail with it yet so as of now I just really love the way it looks in the RMAX. It really does give you more room for getting in and out though. The leather is also nice to hold on to. I never had a complaint about the steering wheel in my X4 or the RMAX but now having the leather wheel makes me realize how much the OEM rubber steering wheel felt like holding on to an inner tube or a bicycle tire. LOL.

·
Premium Member
2021 Yamaha Wolverine X2 XTR 850
118 Posts
I had to have it mainly because I've never put a bad ass steering wheel on anything before. I haven't hit the trail with it yet so as of now I just really love the way it looks in the RMAX. It really does give you more room for getting in and out though. The leather is also nice to hold on to. I never had a complaint about the steering wheel in my X4 or the RMAX but now having the leather wheel makes me realize how much the OEM rubber steering wheel felt like holding on to an inner tube or a bicycle tire. LOL.
I usually put in aftermarket steering wheels on most of my vehicles for the reasons you mention. Most wheels are thicker and give a much better feel while driving. Leather feels the best followed by a good quality Pleather. I find Suede to feel a little on the sweaty side. I always go down a size in Diameter if possible, but never go bigger. And last, they look awesome. I recently changed the steering wheel in my F150 to a Leather Raptor Steering Wheel..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts