Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a little comparison pic of the OEM and Rhino (Brand) front axle. The Rhino is a lot beefier for sure!

My last trip out I broke both front axles (at different times). I replaced one with an axle from HunterWorks and so far it is doing good but I wanted to try the Rhino brand out as well so I ordered 2 of them, one to replace the current broke one and one as a spare.

Does anyone have any experience with the Rhino brand on a Wolverine?

axle.JPG

Reactions: All out

·
Registered
395 Posts
Definitely good to carry a couple extra.

I think most aftermarket axles are as good as OEM if not, better. I know there is only a couple manufacturers for these axles and different companies put their name on them. I always replaced my CanAm axles with ones from STI. These Rhinos look real nice. Were they expensive?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I always have a couple spare at camp.

I agree. Yah I have noticed most come from the same Mfg and just get re-branded. Interparts is a name I know I saw on several boxes back when I was braking them on my Grizzly. They are $199 with free shipping at SuperATV so not bad in my opinion if they hold up plus they have a decent warranty.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I always have a couple spare at camp.

I agree. Yah I have noticed most come from the same Mfg and just get re-branded. Interparts is a name I know I saw on several boxes back when I was braking them on my Grizzly. They are $199 with free shipping at SuperATV so not bad in my opinion if they hold up plus they have a decent warranty.
Thanks for the info. I will order a couple to have around

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before you do that let me figure out why they don't fit... For whatever reason the cup on the diff end it too big so it wont let the splines go in far enough to engage the clip/ring. All it is hitting is the 1/2" tall flange that stick out of the diff. Travis at SuperATV is looking into this for me. All the part numbers are correct and overall length and spline are correct as well.

I will def let you know how this plays out. I have a trip planned next weekend so something has to happen quick or I will end up ordering a few more from HW.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Before you do that let me figure out why they don't fit... For whatever reason the cup on the diff end it too big so it wont let the splines go in far enough to engage the clip/ring. All it is hitting is the 1/2" tall flange that stick out of the diff. Travis at SuperATV is looking into this for me. All the part numbers are correct and overall length and spline are correct as well.

I will def let you know how this plays out. I have a trip planned next weekend so something has to happen quick or I will end up ordering a few more from HW.
sounds good. Thanks!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Interesting. Just got an email reply from SuperATV and they said that they do not carry axles for the wolverine r spec but it is something they have discussed for the future.

I wonder if they shipped you wolverine atv axles since you said they don't fit.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is interesting cause the guy I am dealing with confirmed with me it should fit the Viking and the Wolverine R spec... I got an email from him today saying he was waiting on a response from an engineer and quality guy. These are definety way to long to be a atv axle and every other diminesion is correct. Something isn't right that's for sure but you just got bad info imho. I'll be pushing on then again tomorrow and will update

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you go to SATV's website and look for a Viking axle they actually say in the discription that it'll fit a Wolverine. Also I just confirmed both the Viking and wolverines oem axle p/n is 1XD-F518F-00-00.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Dude........ur battery almost dead!

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was successful but it took some altering. I am not sure if my diff housing is just different than most out there or what the real issue was but I made it work. I ran one this weekend and everything worked good so I'll be altering another one to fit the other side. The flange on the diff was hitting the cup on the axle so I just put a large chamfer on it until it cleared enough to engage. I don't know that this is a permanent fix but it's what I'll be doing for now.

You can see where the flange was rubbing the cup which wouldn't let the axle to engage.. That's where I ground it down at.

flange.jpg

cup.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue with these axles on my Viking. I called super ATV and they said they have never heard of this issue. Have they contacted you about fixing this?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, I think they gave up. I modified them myself and they work great. I also sent you a PM WVviking

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lifts, wheel spacers, bigger and heavier tires, clutch kit, etc., that's how lol. I've broke 3 in the front so far and have one bent in the rear currently. Haven't broke a Rhino yet though. We do a lot of rock crawling and rocky hill climbs, it's just part of it. We push our rigs pretty hard, we don't really just "trail ride" at 20-30mph, we are usually going 5-10mph and in the technical stuff.

I probably broke 6 or 7 fronts on my Grizzly. You get pretty good at swapping axles trust me! lol

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Lifts, wheel spacers, bigger and heavier tires, clutch kit, etc., that's how lol. I've broke 3 in the front so far and have one bent in the rear currently. Haven't broke a Rhino yet though. We do a lot of rock crawling and rocky hill climbs, it's just part of it. We push our rigs pretty hard, we don't really just "trail ride" at 20-30mph, we are usually going 5-10mph and in the technical stuff.

I probably broke 6 or 7 fronts on my Grizzly. You get pretty good at swapping axles trust me! lol
Well crap I have always run great big heavy tires and clutch kits, but never lifts and spacers, I hope I am not in for a bunch of broken axles this summer lol. We do a lot of technical stuff too...I guess we will wait and see.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yah I don't care what anyone says these lifts put strain on the drive train but I really needed the extra clearance and wheel spacers don't help either. Not saying I would change anything though lol. My only advise is do not try to go in reverse, in diff lock, with wheel turned all the way in one direction or the other. It cost me 2 axles before I learned that is a weak spot. I read on the Viking forum that they have the same issue. Other than that they have been fine. I can't remember how I broke the third one exactly. I have been back out twice to our local park (Flat Nasty) and Moab since my last break and have not had any issues. I blame a lot of it on myself for just pushing it to hard before I learned how the machine reacts to stuff. We are headed back to Flat Nasty this weekend so hopefully no more broken axles but I always have spares just in case.

Reactions: Overload
1 - 18 of 18 Posts