Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out an efficient way to wire up reverse lights on the Wolverine yet? I've seen a lot of guys doing it on the Teryx and its really simple on them. I noticed that Yamaha sells the LED lights with the reverse lights so there has to be a cheaper way to get it done. Thanks

·
Registered
575 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Apparently the factory reverse tail lights come with a relay that plugs into the harness that is on the wolverine. I have checked for power while in reverse and only find enough power to run a relay so my guess would be that you would tie the relay to the pigtail power to activate the relay and would have to run power of some sort from he battery .. I am no electrical genius but I haven't figured it out yet

·
Registered
575 Posts
TRev that's what I stated. See my post above. It has all the diagram you need to install a basic 4 terminal relay using the positive from the pig tail as the trigger. You then get power from the battery.. See the diagram on the light bar link.

I thought about doing that but I'm likely running a pair of led spots and may need them on when not in reverse.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I wired reverse lights on mine this week. I used the dummy connectors and found pins that fit them. Wired the relay to the 4 pin connector in the right front wheel opening. You need a 5 pin relay, not 4. The factory wiring keeps the relay "on" anytime the key is on and you're NOT in reverse. When you shift to reverse the switch opens the ground, turning the relay off. Yamaha is controlling the ground for the lights, so in this case we are using pin 87a (the normally CLOSED terminal). If anyone needs a wiring diagram, I can fix you up.
The lights I bought are 1.25 " with 6 LED's each. I did the same with the connector in the rear and wired the lights in parallel.
KIMG0548.JPG
KIMG0550.JPG
KIMG0549.JPG

·
Registered
46 Posts
The easiest way to add reverse lights is to buy the yamaha relay part#5DM-81950-00 and harness 5UG-82583-00 about $50.00. Plug the harness into the main harness located above the coolant overflow tank/ push the harness thru the back of the battery box under the rest of the cables then plug in the relay and slip it onto the post in front of the rest of the relays in the battery compartment. There is a plug above and to the right of the right rear shock the blue wire is ground the brown yellow is positive connect your lights there be sure to ground them thru the harness not to the frame. The lights will come on when you shift into reverse.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
mine works exactly like they are supposed to, but only cost me $5.99

·
Banned
504 Posts
I bought the same setup, relay, harness and there's a third part I can't remember. I bought a 6" led to mount on the top. All of it total was around $40. I like the factory wiring.

The easiest way to add reverse lights is to buy the yamaha relay part#5DM-81950-00 and harness 5UG-82583-00 about $50.00. Plug the harness into the main harness located above the coolant overflow tank/ push the harness thru the back of the battery box under the rest of the cables then plug in the relay and slip it onto the post in front of the rest of the relays in the battery compartment. There is a plug above and to the right of the right rear shock the blue wire is ground the brown yellow is positive connect your lights there be sure to ground them thru the harness not to the frame. The lights will come on when you shift into reverse.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
You know deeyoh, I thought about that. The problem would be that the pins are "pull-to-seat" style and i would have to be able to buy the blank connectors from yamaha or people would have to send me their dummy connectors for me to install wires

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Yeah, that would put a kink in the smooth install. Hmmm, these are marine grade connectors. Wonder if they would be standard from some marine wholesaler.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Someone has to make them. The terminals and weather pack seals are readily available from Packard electric.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Someone has to make them. The terminals and weather pack seals are readily available from Packard electric.
Is this the type of connector you are talking about? There are lot's of brands, Weather Pack is one brand, Deutsch, Amphenol, Metri-Pack, Amp Seal, Molex etc. There are lot's of different types of weather proof connectors. I have never even looked at the ones on the wolverine, but my guess would be a Delphi/Weather Pack. Here is a basic kit you can buy.
Any more, I just splice and solder if I need to make a connection into the stock harness, but I have a lot of experience doing that, and wouldn't recommend it to the average joe. There was a time when I was making up sequential turn signal circuit boards for mustangs and selling them, but I don't have the time anymore.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I have the terminals and seals, it's the actual plastic part of the connector that i would need if i was gonna build/sell harnesses

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
I have the terminals and seals, it's the actual plastic part of the connector that i would need if i was gonna build/sell harnesses
Oh gotcha, I thought you were also trying to figure out the brand. Well that kit also supplies the housing, and you can buy the housings separate too.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I need the connector that matches the existing connectors on the machine, that way I could build a plug and play harness

·
Registered
44 Posts
What is the connector in the right rear fender well. Looks like a two prong connector that has a cap on it for protection.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Anybody have an answer?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts