Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Can anyone tell me where the relay is located for the Cooling Fan, I bought a new one off of HW's, but now that i got the old one off I put it to power and see that it is still working. We tried this out in the field but we must not have had a good connection. Keeping the new one since i hear it is much better. I've checked the fuse and it works. the light came on out in the field so I believe the thermostat is functional. I'm hoping that the only thing left would be the Relay for the fan. I just do not know which one it is. Please help!!!!!!
I replied in your other post also
Wolverine-4x4-relay-locations.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you for the quick reply. I see there are 3 relays that are labeled. so it's not one of those. What is the yellow arrow. is that the relay?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Yes it is the picture is just a generic pic i found.

·
Registered
804 Posts
It is an auto resetting Thermo fuse for the fan. if you replaced your fan with the HW. this is what he is referring to that may need to be replaced if your fan cycles on and off quickly.
Maybe I miss understood you original post.

·
Registered
804 Posts
It is number 14
1579558287653783992732310183845_1579558312242.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Troubleshooting fan

I am still in need of your help if you can. Here is the step by step.

1.Vehicle Overheated
a. Light came on
b. Fan not running
c. Fuse in tact
2. Tried hard wiring fan direct to battery
a. fan didn't run
3. Ordered New HO fan from Huntersworks
a. Installed new fan
4. New Fan not running
a. Tested fan, Hardwired (it is functional)
5. Check fuse
a. it is still good
6. Checked the Wire Circuit for the Thermostat
a. this is working as well
b. This is the circuit that is electrical taped to another wire. See on the photo with yellow arrow that is on this thread previously.
7. checked relay and it is functional
b. i'm going to buy a new one just in case but when swapped with the other relay, that was the same, it was working for diff lock
8. We tried by passing the heat sensor in the back by the cylinder head
a. We did this by disconnection the Connector and hard wiring the two ends of the connector together.
b. it did not start the fan
c. I read, on this forum, that if the over heating light/Alarm on the dash worked that it the heat sensor/ thermostat should be working properly.
1. I'm not convinced on this

My question is did i miss anything? Can it be the ECU? Is the fan relay initiated by the same source as the overheating light/alarm.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,455 Posts
In your circuit tests of fuses and connection. Are you checking with a meter for 12V power?

Start from the relay circuit forward unless there is power at the fan fuse which appears not. I suspect you're missing something.

Assume Nothing, verify all again 12VDC power readings. Not ohm tests only for fuses etc. Testing for 12V is key and the ground for the fan is valid!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
We did test with a 12V tester. I am going to go over it again later just to be sure.

In your circuit tests of fuses and connection. Are you checking with a meter for 12V power?

Start from the relay circuit forward unless there is power at the fan fuse which appears not. I suspect you're missing something.

Assume Nothing, verify all again 12VDC power readings. Not ohm tests only for fuses etc. Testing for 12V is key and the ground for the fan is valid!!!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Did you test the thermo fuse?
15904312701793271996066037079518_1590431310688.jpg

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,455 Posts
Which relay controls the fan?
Have you read above? These issues are documented for many years. Lucky its in this thread already, dead easy.

Fill in a detailed signature of you Wolverine!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
You need to see if the ECU is ever calling for the relay to energize. If the coil for the fan relay never gets it's negative return to the battery through the ECU then all the rest doesn't matter.

Go to the fan relay and find the two smaller wires. Check either for power with the plug disconnected. If one end of coil is powered then the other needs a negative. If one is already connected to negative then the other side needs a positive. But one or other should exist. When calling for fan on both will exist.

Probably best to short the two large wires together at the relays connector plug and see if the fan will even run. If it don't run that way then you must fix the line or load side. Either the line has no power -or- the load side is not connected to the fan.

You have to go through the fans control system like that until you find the missing link keeping it from coming on.

You will find the missing part of the puzzle if you keep at it.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts