Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Very interesting read guys. I have not really had any CV boot issues with my X4 since I got it. I did have a pinhole in the right rear outside boot last fall but I know that was because if I was being stupid and playing around on a 50-inch Trail and a stick or something poked it. I could not find a boot anywhere and I was on vacation that week and had more riding planned so I drove to Rocky Mountain ATV and bought a whole axle due to it being an emergency situation. My kind of emergency though LOL. Yesterday though I went over the mountain to Fillmore to visit my mom and on the way home the rear right inner CV boot started leaking. Bummer! I'm down for a minute. I don't know how it happened I was just about a fourth with the way back over the mountain when I stopped to get a bottle of water out of the cooler and maybe an adult beverage. LOL. When I looked down and saw the grease had been splattering. This axle is less than a year old. It being the one I changed out last fall. The front two axles and the rear driver side or all original with original boots never had an issue. I find it very weird that this one was so little time on it gave out. I hope this isn't due to the new 2-inch lift I just installed but I have not heard of anybody else having axle issues with any other 2 inch lift. I just got it back from the car wash so I haven't looked at it close to see how bad the tear is or if it's just a little hole or what. It really doesn't matter though it has to be fixed. Now I have to decide to go with an oem boot or aftermarket. I also need to buy the tool for the clamps since I have never replaced a boot yet but I still have the axle I pulled out last year that needs the new outside boot changed. So I'm going to order both Boots the inside and outside and fix both so that I have an extra axle sitting ready. I am just hoping that I will not need to do it again anytime soon.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Get the tools to do it. They aren't much and it will save you a lot of cussing trying to do it without the proper tools. On a side note. I carry some self sealing rubber electrical tape the can be used for emergency trail repairs. I busted a lot of boots on my Wildcat and that stuff kept me going for the weekend.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Don't cheap out on the CV joint crimper, and dont use those garbage band clamps either. Most replacement CV boots now come with proper crimp bands anyways but I had a few so far that still came with band clamps.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Thanks for the tips you guys! Ive changed my share if different types of cv's but never done a boot before. Got the parts ordered from Rocky Mountain ATV. They are only about an hour and 15 minutes from me so I should have them, or at least the one they have in stock right now, in a couple of days. And I bought this tool from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SREB8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks to be the right one for our OEM clamps. 20200808_223450.jpg 20200808_223407.jpg

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
325 Posts
This is one thing i know nothing about so if you guys can post the link to the tools I would need and info on boot changes would be greatly appreciated. Where and what boots are you ordering.

Also
Wherry are you still having issues

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Well, made it a little over 150 miles and both inner cv boots are leaking grease everywhere. First 2 days and only short rides in 70 deg weather was fine. Today it hit 80 and did 150 miles and grease is leaking out In between the bands and boots everywhere with the Temps around 350 at the inner cv. These inner cv’s just must be done. Time for new axles. 😡

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
This is one thing i know nothing about so if you guys can post the link to the tools I would need and info on boot changes would be greatly appreciated. Where and what boots are you ordering.

Also
Wherry are you still having issues
As far as boots go I was told the oem ones hold up to the higher temps better.

As of today the issue persisted

As far as tools for disassembling/reassembling the axles all you need as far as specialty tools is the band crimper, and snap ring pliers.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I was going to rebuild a rear CV axle after a not so successful recovery, but something isn't right with it.
The inner boot is puckered a little, but it doesn't click or make any noise. It does however feel like it looses engagement especially in turns on blacktop.
I'm curious to inspect it and see what's going on, but it's definitely not worth rebuilding.

I haven't pulled it yet, but everything feels tight.
Normally if they fail you can hear the ball/cage click, so it's kind of strange.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Use Automotive CV boot clamps. Band claps are junk.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Skelly, I agree both make no noise and look great. When I first take off it feels like the parking brake is dragging. Maybee that’s a sign of them failing.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
That's exactly what I was thinking. <<<
Normally you get the ball clicking in & out of the cage noise with most common CV axles issues.
They want more to rebuild the inner than a entire new one.

Hopefully when time permits, one of us will tear it down and do a inspection and hopefully see a wear pattern/indication.
There is definitely something going on there.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I'm hoping this weekend to do the tear down.
I'm going to cut the ends off the CV's and carry them for emergency trail repair plugs.

I've misplaced my phone and haven't seen it for a few days, so I don't know how many pics I can get the kids to take.....lol

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well my rear diff is also fucked as well. Got so hot it distorted the CV boots...lol. Only did a 2 hour ride today.

Time to pull it and tear into it to see WTF is causing all this heat.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Well my rear diff is also fucked as well. Got so hot it distorted the CV boots...lol. Only did a 2 hour ride today.

Time to pull it and tear into it to see WTF is causing all this heat.

I found it wasn’t the differential itself causing the heat. It was the cv joints creating the heat. If you have a heat gun check the differential temp the the cv temp.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
If all these you guys are having cv problems email demon Powersports that you need axles for your wolverine x series. The more people that call and need them the quicker they move on producing us a better axle for our machines!

·
Registered
501 Posts
If all these you guys are having cv problems email demon Powersports that you need axles for your wolverine x series. The more people that call and need them the quicker they move on producing us a better axle for our machines!

Ive sent a few emails already, Not buying that OEM junk thats for sure. I just took booth boots off and filled them with Amsoil Grease I had left over from when I greased my Sheave :)

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I've emailed them also.
They make a performance axle, but don't show a Heavy Duty for our model.
They don't have any of the performance axles listed on their Amazon store atm either.

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Ive sent a few emails already, Not buying that OEM junk thats for sure. I just took booth boots off and filled them with Amsoil Grease I had left over from when I greased my Sheave :)

Yup I went to the dealer and had both axles out fitted with OEM boots as they said it’s the best option, oem clamps as they are the best option, and red line cv2 as it is the best cv grease out their. After 80 or so miles they both pushed probably half of the grease out In between the bands and the boots due to too much heat. This was after the dealer told me the cv joints were In Good condition and me rebuilding them with aftermarket boots and the regular cv grease the kits came with were the problem. The inner cv’s are the problem. 1200 miles on mine and something is wrong to where they create excessive heat. They make no noise and appear to rotate smooth.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
101 - 120 of 126 Posts