Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has any one just had a CV boot just let go. My rear driver Side let go. Everything was so hot back there it was even smoking a tad. No slop in the axle or CV joints. The slight smoke was coming from the actual inner CV

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
Reactions: Paul65

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
I remember you posted about your shocks fading on that 45mph ride... first thing I thought of. Sorry to hear it. I guess my time is coming, hope to learn.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So Now I have some internet and I’m back home from my trip I can post some more. So driver side rear boot just gave away. Was not from anything coming in contact and ripping it. Both axles were verry hot and I could not touch with My bare hand along with the rear differential. I was on mile 120 of trail riding. Nice easy Cruze. CV was in good condition so I just disassembled and put a new CV boot on with some new grease. Got some more miles in after. Started to notice grease leaking out around the driver side rear boot now. So both sides in the rear. I need to bring a heat gun to check temps of theses axles and rear differential on my next trip. This might be a problem. One broken front driver axle, now both rears might be problematic. Don’t know if this is caused by the extreme heat from the rear differential. Here is a picture of the driver side starting to ooz grease after I fixed the passenger side. Oh 1000 trail miles on the machine.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Have you checked your rear diff oil level? Seems like a smoking CV boot is not normal... The heat has to be generated from somewhere.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
There was a big discussion about this early on with the 1st wolverine. Chief took readings with a heat gun on the CV joint next to the final drive as high as 270 degrees. Many thought some of the heat was from the exhaust or glowing red header pipe. They wrapped there exhaust and installed heat shields. It may have helped a little but the bottom line is that they just get really hot. To hot to touch at all, however I’ve never read a post about a boot giving up from it till now!

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Budro, nothing to do with this thread, but I saw you had 999 likes so I wanted to like your post to bump you to 1,000 likes.

Edit: Congrats on the 1,000 likes, nice round number. Obviously you have helped a lot of forum members and they/we appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Budro, nothing to do with this thread, but I saw you had 999 likes so I wanted to like your post to bump you to 1,000 likes.
Lol. Thanks Papa!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Just hit water once in awhile :)

Reactions: wolvymanx4

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There was a big discussion about this early on with the 1st wolverine. Chief took readings with a heat gun on the CV joint next to the final drive as high as 270 degrees. Many thought some of the heat was from the exhaust or glowing red header pipe. They wrapped there exhaust and installed heat shields. It may have helped a little but the bottom line is that they just get really hot. To hot to touch at all, however I’ve never read a post about a boot giving up from it till now!
Yea I herd they get really hot. I’m curious as well as to how hot. Temp was in the 80,a 90’s.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Do the X machines also have the parking brake in them? Is the brake working OK? Checked cable?
Certainly a candidate for synthetic grease as boiling point typically much higher...

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Do the X machines also have the parking brake in them? Is the brake working OK? Checked cable?
Certainly a candidate for synthetic grease as boiling point typically much higher...
No parking brake in x model.

If the boot failure is actually heat related I’d be a fan of some synthetic in there with some snake oil ( gear butter ).

Chief did lower his temps by 80 degrees on the early model by doing the heat shield and wrapping the exhaust but never had boot issues and in the end concluded it was probably not necessary.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Yea I herd they get really hot. I’m curious as well as to how hot. Temp was in the 80,a 90’s.
That thread was called REAR DIFFERENTIAL GETTING PRETTY HOT FROM EXHAUST.

According to chief his dealer said they can get as high as 400. I don’t know if that’s fact or salesman BS but if they do get 400 then the boots should be designed to take that. Personally I doubt they get that high.

It would be interesting if you could take some temperature readings on it under similar driving as when the boot failed and see what you come up with.

It would also be interesting to see if that changed with synthetic etc. assuming your not already doing that?

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
If memory serves me correctly when I replaced my right rear axle about 2 years ago I was concerned about the high temps. of the rear diff. and CV joints. I did do some testing out on the trails with a heat gun, after we had ridden about 6 hours. We tested 3 different Wolverine's (2) 2016s and (1) 2017 and all were getting anywhere from around 180 deg. to 225 deg. at the hottest points. When stopped they start cooling off really quickly. A few weeks later I was just playing around in the yard for 30 minutes and the diff. was getting hot but the inner CV joints had not gotten hot in 30 minutes, so I concluded that a lot of the heat in the CV Joints was being transferred to them from the hot differential.

When I took my rear diff. out to replace the front seal, I made and installed an aluminum shield that covers most all of the diff, shielding it from the exhaust pipe. It may have helped some, but not like I was hoping for. Somewhere in this vast forum there is a thread with pictures of my heat shield. With the 6 inches or so of space between the diff. and the exhaust most of the heat from the exhaust has to be going up and back and not down to the diff. As it has already been mentioned, these differentials just get hot, to hot to hold your hand on for sure.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
That thread was called REAR DIFFERENTIAL GETTING PRETTY HOT FROM EXHAUST.

According to chief his dealer said they can get as high as 400. I don’t know if that’s fact or salesman BS but if they do get 400 then the boots should be designed to take that. Personally I doubt they get that high.

It would be interesting if you could take some temperature readings on it under similar driving as when the boot failed and see what you come up with.

It would also be interesting to see if that changed with synthetic etc. assuming your not already doing that?
Let's hope thats BS. That is the flash point of most gear lubes.

Reactions: Budro2

·
Administrator
2,687 Posts
No parking brake in x model.

If the boot failure is actually heat related I’d be a fan of some synthetic in there with some snake oil ( gear butter ).

Chief did lower his temps by 80 degrees on the early model by doing the heat shield and wrapping the exhaust but never had boot issues and in the end concluded it was probably not necessary.
There is a parking brake in X2/X4's it's mid-ship on the front driveshaft.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
There is a parking brake in X2/X4's it's mid-ship on the front driveshaft.
Yes, I believe jimclemjr was referring to it being inside the final drive and potentially hanging up, creating heat!

Reactions: MassiveOverkill

·
Registered
298 Posts
So ceramic coating the exhaust to help hold heat in would benefit the rear diff. Maybe also wrapping it...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had weeping from my rear axle at around 500 miles, then the boot slipped off the dif end. I didn't notice it for a while. I cut off the old clamp, and replaced it. No issues until around 4,000 miles. There was a clicking in it, so I replaced the axle. No problems now. Mine was bought new.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts