Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2021 X2
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just bought my first sxs (used 2021 x2). I'm new to the forum, recommended to me by the previous owner who is probably still on here somewhere, and I have searched for a thread on this to no avail. I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong place. My issue... I cannot deal with the heat that comes through where the gas/brake pedal come into the cab. I'm not concerned with the heat coming up from the console as I plan on utilizing that for the winter months but the hot air blowing onto my right shin/foot is horrible after 10-15 minutes of riding. The previous owner wrapped the radiator hose with insulation and said it helped a little. I pulled the cover off that is by the left front tire that helps prevent dust from getting in through the gas/brake pedal holes and am wondering if there would be any issue with surrounding that hole with insulation or some type of high temp caulk?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I stitched that rubber piece with small wire ties to close it up. It made a big difference with heat and water getting in the cab through the brake cylinder opening. I also recommend the firewall block off plates they are like 50 bucks and fit excellent.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welcome to the forum, it's a great source of advice and information. Block off plates are a trade off depending on machine model. While they may keep water and mud from entering the cab, they also restrict air flow through it, as do tops and windshields. As you might expect, closing off some openings only serves to push more heat through others. The brake fluid container cover only exacerbates the situation in that it funnels heat to the gas/brake pedal firewall opening. There are solutions that can be applied. Pipe insulation is perhaps the most common, but Thermotec heat barrier, exhaust wrap, foam rubber plugs, bilge fans, shift boots and firesleeve have also been used. Making the rubber shields fit better as Seavey82 did is also a great idea. I'd shy away from sticky caulking if there's any chance it would restrict pedal operation. Depending on what's already been done, I'd suggest closing up the rubber shields, putting the cover back on and stuffing a chunk of foam rubber in behind it. Whatever is used should be impervious to water. You're on the right track.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I have stuck some foam pieces in my gaps to keep the water from flooding and a little help with dust. I believe you have to accept that whatever foams and tapes you use are not really permanent but will need maintenance, that said, I have used some very good tape that stretches and has unbelievable stick to almost any clean surface. I would use it here if I had a major concern. Not sure how easy it is to find for typical consumer, it is in the construction industry. It is Ziptape for sealing Zipboard sheathing made by Huber. I think it comes in 4" and 6" width rolls, it is expensive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts