Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so the owners manual gives you three indicators as to when to change the engine oil. Miles, hours, or Months whichever comes first. My question is how important is the Months variable when talking about this subject. I would think it would matter little in most cases within reason. For some people, they will reach the Months factor way before they reach the Hours or Mileage needed for an oil change due to small amounts of riding. I would also think that going by Mileage or Hours would be more important than going by Months as that is actual wear and breakdown of the oil going on due to the engine actually running. If the machine sits idle a lot of the time i can't see how the integrity of the oil would be any worse than the day you put it into the machine thus making me think that Months has little effect on when the oil needs to be replaced. Hope that i am being clear ha I'm trying to be. So what do you oil experts think about the Months variable and how much it matters on the frequency at which you replace the oil. Not asking about mileage or hours on the engine oil and replacement of it, just Months and if it matters that much. Now obviously I would not leave the same oil in my engine say like for example 2 years without replacing it waiting on the machine to hit a certain mileage or hour amount.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i think in what you are trying to say you are on the right track, months wont kill the bike. i change mine once a year and if the mileage creeps up beyond what they recommend, i will change it earlier. That rational stands true to me from two grizzly 550's and i havent had an issue, and i will be doing the same for this machine.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Oil changes by months was created admittedly by oil companies. Oil does not degrade with time as then it would have a best befor date on the shelf.. it is their to keep Oil products selling to people that don't drive their cars very much.

·
November WOTM Winner!
878 Posts
I think the only reason that manufacturer's put a duration on oil changes is that's they're concerned about getting moisture in the oil if something is sitting too long. The oil won't go bad but it isn't sealed like its in a bottle and moisture has a way of getting into it.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Okay so the owners manual gives you three indicators as to when to change the engine oil. Miles, hours, or Months whichever comes first. My question is how important is the Months variable when talking about this subject. I would think it would matter little in most cases within reason. For some people, they will reach the Months factor way before they reach the Hours or Mileage needed for an oil change due to small amounts of riding. I would also think that going by Mileage or Hours would be more important than going by Months as that is actual wear and breakdown of the oil going on due to the engine actually running. If the machine sits idle a lot of the time i can't see how the integrity of the oil would be any worse than the day you put it into the machine thus making me think that Months has little effect on when the oil needs to be replaced. Hope that i am being clear ha I'm trying to be. So what do you oil experts think about the Months variable and how much it matters on the frequency at which you replace the oil. Not asking about mileage or hours on the engine oil and replacement of it, just Months and if it matters that much. Now obviously I would not leave the same oil in my engine say like for example 2 years without replacing it waiting on the machine to hit a certain mileage or hour amount.
As far as I know, there is no conspiracy here from the oil companies(although I wouldn't put it past them). The reason for time based intervals is because of contaminants and acids caused by the combustion process. These acids are produced on short drives and normally boiled off on longer drives, but they can accumulate and cause damage to the engine. Changing the oil on a regular basis regardless of engine run time is just a "cover your ass" method really, as a good preventative. This is what I was taught by an old timer when I used to work on forklifts, I suppose he could have been full of shit, but I have no reason to believe he was. I suppose I should go research this a bit lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As far as I know, there is no conspiracy here from the oil companies(although I wouldn't put it past them). The reason for time based intervals is because of contaminants and acids caused by the combustion process. These acids are produced on short drives and normally boiled off on longer drives, but they can accumulate and cause damage to the engine. Changing the oil on a regular basis regardless of engine run time is just a "cover your ass" method really, as a good preventative. This is what I was taught by an old timer when I used to work on forklifts, I suppose he could have been full of shit, but I have no reason to believe he was. I suppose I should go research this a bit lol.
My father always used to throw the 'oil doesn't go bad' argument out there but I think you're right, it is the acids that cause problems. If you changed the oil and didn't run it, it could sit for months.

Not sure how much oil we're talking for a Wolverine but the approach I've taken with my truck is that oil is a lot less expensive than an engine so I change it every 5,000 miles even though the truck tells me I could go farther. Truck takes just under 8qts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts