Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been so dry around here lately I decided to put my stock wheels and tires on instead of the 28 terminators. Man was it fun to ride with the stock tires. I didn't realize how much better it handles and steers with the 26 inch maxis tires on it. The Terminators look really good and do a good job in mud, but I just put a 5000 pound winch on that will pull me out if I were to get stuck. I may downsize to some kind of 27 inch all terrain type tire just for the way it handles. What do yall think?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Its been so dry around here lately I decided to put my stock wheels and tires on instead of the 28 terminators. Man was it fun to ride with the stock tires. I didn't realize how much better it handles and steers with the 26 inch maxis tires on it. The Terminators look really good and do a good job in mud, but I just put a 5000 pound winch on that will pull me out if I were to get stuck. I may downsize to some kind of 27 inch all terrain type tire just for the way it handles. What do yall think?
I want the 28" for ground clearance that would be great. However I don't want to add no more weight than I have too either. I also hear that some 28" setups rub and I don't want spacers because I don't want any wider than it already is for tight trails. I too was thinking of 27's if I don't do the 28's. Looking at Rip Saws and the new Rockabillys by Sedona. I put a 5000lb winch on mine too but mine is more to pull fallen trees out the trail than it is to pull me out of the mud.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Yeah, thinking of the same thing. Do the stock or maybe some 28" 2.0 bighorns for dry and keep the Mega Mayhems for the wet days. Just wonder how well it would handle with 28 bighorns on it. So far the Mega's have really shined in the mud and aren't to heavy. Even the new replacement tire is out of round some. Still get up to 58 easy (61 on gps) and 55 going up hills. Do notice a little acceleration loss but not much. Raining here and supposed to rain this weekend. Woohooo

·
Registered
82 Posts
Exactly why I haven't swapped out the stock tires yet. Too fun to drive with em on, even though they aren't that great in the mud. Put heavy tires on my rhino and that sure sucked the power out of it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
if i upgrade I may do the orginal bighorns 27", will be a tougher tire and probably wont lose performance in the handling and smoothness area. If I cant go through it with those then I probably don't need to be going through it, that's just my philosophy on the deal.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I don't regret the swap the 2.0's didn't grip in wet grass..lol I'm thinking about getting some 28's more designed for all terrain when I go riding in the mountains eventually.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
I don't regret the swap the 2.0's didn't grip in wet grass..lol I'm thinking about getting some 28's more designed for all terrain when I go riding in the mountains eventually.
LOL..wet grass...so TRUE. I must say, my 28" Blackwaters are pretty damn heavy,...I want the ground clearance but miss the power. However, ground clearance or not, it is too risky on such a heavy machine to run such thin balloon tires as the stock garbage..asking for trouble.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Get smaller all terrain tires and a 2 inch lift when available... keep performance, gain ground clearance and any performance mods such as clutch will be more noticeable in gaining rather then getting back to stock performance

·
Registered
575 Posts
I bought the mud lite due to the low weight. On my grizzly 550 with a shim and secondary clutch spring it would spin the 28's like the stock 25's.

Buddy of mine can wheelie his 550 on 28 sti outbacks in high gear now.. I only installed a shim on his. You can gain the loss from the weight, with the lower gear ratio.

The wolvy doesn't mine the 28's(mud lite) at all.. with that said something like a outlaw 2 , terminators, black mamba which are all heavy is a different story.

I guess it's just the difference in terrain. I'd rather have traction, and 2 additional inchs of ground clearance, and lose .5 second on the zero to 60. The larger tires should increase top speed by default.

If I were racing it, or on high speed trails it would be a different story. I honestly expect with sheeve to have slighty better performance compared to factory, and have additional clearance and traction.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm not saying my solution is for everyone but everyone says they get larger tires for ground clearance. When in order to get 2 inches of ground clearance out of tires you need to run a tire 4 inches larger then stock sings the stock 26 tires measure 25.5inches u would have to run a 29.5 inch tire to equal what a 2 inch lift can offer. Now running a 29.5 inch tire will kill your bottom end and midrange and result in wet clutch slugs, machined primary, weights and spring. Just to get back to close to stock performance. When a person could run a 26 or 27 inch tire gain 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch of ground clearance add a 2 inch lift and have close to 3 extra inches of ground clearance and then add the machined sheeve and weights and spring and have better performance then stock and more ground clearance then 29 inch tires and save on mechanical wear of turning the big tires .. I known people will argue but it's true. And after many machines in my life I have found out that this seams to be the better way (for me). Just an option in an opinion

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm not saying my solution is for everyone but everyone says they get larger tires for ground clearance. When in order to get 2 inches of ground clearance out of tires you need to run a tire 4 inches larger then stock sings the stock 26 tires measure 25.5inches u would have to run a 29.5 inch tire to equal what a 2 inch lift can offer. Now running a 29.5 inch tire will kill your bottom end and midrange and result in wet clutch slugs, machined primary, weights and spring. Just to get back to close to stock performance. When a person could run a 26 or 27 inch tire gain 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch of ground clearance add a 2 inch lift and have close to 3 extra inches of ground clearance and then add the machined sheeve and weights and spring and have better performance then stock and more ground clearance then 29 inch tires and save on mechanical wear of turning the big tires .. I known people will argue but it's true. And after many machines in my life I have found out that this seams to be the better way (for me). Just an option in an opinion
Well said. Hopefully with the lift kit thats out now and more in the making we will have more options. I just want to hear what people say about how their wolverines ride with any of the new lift kits. I know the one out doesn't affect ride quality at least as advertised, but it does change some suspension angles. If there are no changes and axles and other components are safe then i want one and some 27's. There again thats my option. The next guy will want the lift and 30" tires and maybe a turbo or supercharger, lol.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Am going through the tire&rim adventure now.Have figured out the 14in rim part,I think,but not the tires yet.Just want alittle bigger tires,27s.Problem is,just because it is listed as a 27,it may be 26in tall.Am looking for a 27in tall tire,factory 26s are almost 25 1/2.Not sure what to do,do not want to kill the power,once on a rhino,went up 2 sizes,first ride felt the big difference,was not happy till I changed them,down a size.Do not want to get into changing the sheeve,springs&weights.Am looking at mudlite xtrs,bearclaw evos,big horns & rocktanes,have to figure out exactly how tall they are and which would be best for trail riding,rocks and mud holes have to go through.Thought about blackwaters,but found out they are heavy&wear fastDo not go through real deep mud holes with this,have 2 1/2 & 5 ton trks for that.Looking for tires 27in tall and come in 9 & 11in wide.Thank You for any opinions.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Stock tires measure 25 inch, the 28 (some) measure true 28 in. 1.5in more ground clearance. Plus I'm getting a lift. In mud you need every inch.

It isn't weird to see a mav or rzr on 32's or 34's where we ride.. Going through those ruts, are a no go with small tires. I'd say average tires here are 28's on atv 30 on sxs

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Point taken...But keep in mind the center of the machine(laterally) will be effectively raised with the lift kit, but will do nothing for the a-arms at the hub end. The up side to larger tires is it actually raises the center of the hub off the ground, which gives more clearance to the weakest exposed component..your a-arms. Ideally, a lift AND larger tires would do the trick. Again, all depends on the riding style and purpose.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I fully agree with what your saying. I just look at the pro and con of big tires on a small motor with a very minimum of clutch work available to compensate. I would love to see a gear lift :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

That is way to simple hahahaha really good idea

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like the idea of 2 inch lift and 27s. If the little difference in the 27 and 28s get me stuck I will just winch out and go on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've read this thread a couple of times and in regards to tire height I'm still kind of corn-fused. So, 26's are really 25's and 27's are really 25 1/2s? And the manufacturers are all different? How do you know what you are actually going to wind up with? I was thinking I might switch out the tires next year and was thinking a light weight 26" (true 26") tire would be fine for what I do. I like the ITP Mudlites what would I have to order to get a 26" tire? Has anyone out there actually owned the Mudlites? Thanks in advance for all replies.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I've read this thread a couple of times and in regards to tire height I'm still kind of corn-fused. So, 26's are really 25's and 27's are really 25 1/2s? And the manufacturers are all different? How do you know what you are actually going to wind up with? I was thinking I might switch out the tires next year and was thinking a light weight 26" (true 26") tire would be fine for what I do. I like the ITP Mudlites what would I have to order to get a 26" tire? Has anyone out there actually owned the Mudlites? Thanks in advance for all replies.
I put close to 5000 miles on my mudlite xtr radials on my midsize ranger and there is probably 75 percent left on them,will put them on the wolverine when the bighorns wear out

1 - 20 of 30 Posts