Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Todd.

You be sure to keep the sheave kit and the slug kit for me .I call tomorrow and place order and we'll go over the need and wants.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Todd.

You be sure to keep the sheave kit and the slug kit for me .I call tomorrow and place order and we'll go over the need and wants.
I finally got some seat time with the sheave kit and clutch slug kit I got from Todd at Hunterworks a few weeks ago. I'm very impressed as it is everything as advertised. The lows are fantastic now and still bumping the rev limiter with ease. I also bought the Gates belt, the original was in great shape but I figured at 1500 miles why not replace while it was opened up. Wish I would have done this in May when I got the UTV.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Much easier to control the leashing with the slug/sheave kit. Before I would have to hold the brake and throttle to keep it from surging. Now just a nice light throttle to hold. As far as climbing, it has the ability to really get the tires spinning if needed.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I finally got some seat time with the sheave kit and clutch slug kit I got from Todd at Hunterworks a few weeks ago. I'm very impressed as it is everything as advertised. The lows are fantastic now and still bumping the rev limiter with ease. I also bought the Gates belt, the original was in great shape but I figured at 1500 miles why not replace while it was opened up. Wish I would have done this in May when I got the UTV.
The reason you don't buy belts is because my belt in my grizzly 600 I think 99 is sitting on my grand father's farm with 27,000 km on it and it is still on the stock belt .. no need to replace a belt on a machine this new. And the gates belts have proven to be nothing but garbage for other yamaha products compared to stock. To you took out a high quality belt and replaced it with a low quality belt

·
Registered
49 Posts
The reason you don't buy belts is because my belt in my grizzly 600 I think 99 is sitting on my grand father's farm with 27,000 km on it and it is still on the stock belt .. no need to replace a belt on a machine this new. And the gates belts have proven to be nothing but garbage for other yamaha products compared to stock. To you took out a high quality belt and replaced it with a low quality belt
Certainly your opinion good sir. But I must say so long as I'm a tax paying American citizen I can change my belt every 10 miles if I wish.Have a nice day.

·
Vendor
771 Posts
I assure you I didn't push a belt on him, they are offered if you want one and anyone saying a C12 Gates belt is garbage is wrong, they are the #1 selling aftermarket belt on the planet. We sell over 200 every month ourselves and most are going in 100hp machines like the XP 1000 RZR. To my knowledge, I don't think anyone has ever called with a issue with a C12 belt in a Wolverine or yamaha rhino. They don't have belt issues.

And I am still waiting on that order for that sheave you said you would buy if we got the ratio down where the video you posted was.

I made the video just for you.

Todd

·
Registered
367 Posts
It has been proven time and time and time again that no belt is better then a yamaha stock belt. The gates belt is great for a popo 1000 or maverick as the stock belts are garbage. The gates belts have earned a name because they are a decent belt that lasts just as long as stock or longer on popo and maverick and it is half the cost it hasn't earned it's name because it is great. You can preach which ever way you want I work on yamaha bikes almost every day and I have yet to find a belt that comes close to the yamaha oem belt. Spend some time on any other yamaha forum and all you will hear BUY OEM nothing else will last as long

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
I use the Gates C12 belt, open without covers. I have exposed them to extreme desert heat, submersion of water/mud and sand blast. On top of that, my sheave mods are more extreme than everyone else's which is even harder on the belts. Also, the C12 does not contain Aramid Kevlar in it's rubber which the Yamaha belt does. That Kevlar fiber cuts grooves in the aluminum sheave faces, both front and back, faster than a belt without. It's a trade off Yamaha accepted to produce a strong belt. The Carbon cords in the C12 belt do not cut the aluminum like the Kevlar does, while maintaining it's proven strength. Plus the C12 belt is dirt cheap which I don't mind at all :D

The images below show the oem 700 belt on the two sheaves to the left and the C12 on the right.
belt_height_comparision2.jpg

·
Vendor
771 Posts
It has been proven time and time and time again that no belt is better then a yamaha stock belt. The gates belt is great for a popo 1000 or maverick as the stock belts are garbage. The gates belts have earned a name because they are a decent belt that lasts just as long as stock or longer on popo and maverick and it is half the cost it hasn't earned it's name because it is great. You can preach which ever way you want I work on yamaha bikes almost every day and I have yet to find a belt that comes close to the yamaha oem belt. Spend some time on any other yamaha forum and all you will hear BUY OEM nothing else will last as long
I deal with these every day and way more rhino's and mavericks than probably anyone in the country and we don't have issues with the gates on a Rhino or Wolverine period. Never even heard of one with a issue.

Polaris is made by UBL, they are good belts and the Can Am Maverick is the best OEM belt in the world, made with zylon but it is $200.

Ive sold over 4000 gates belts, I don't have a reputation for lying or putting out bad products. I would know if they are good or bad.

Now simple common sense here. I have been selling them 2 1/2 years myself, if a product is bad and even though people want it, they will buy it then find out it is bad and stop buying it and the cycle would not take long. On these belts, the sales continues to climb, we are over 200 a month now.

You still didn't answer about you buying the sheave you said you would, come on man!!! LOL

·
Vendor
771 Posts
I use the Gates C12 belt, open without covers. I have exposed them to extreme desert heat, submersion of water/mud and sand blast. On top of that, my sheave mods are more extreme than everyone else's which is even harder on the belts. Also, the C12 does not contain Aramid Kevlar in it's rubber which the Yamaha belt does. That Kevlar fiber cuts grooves in the aluminum sheave faces, both front and back, faster than a belt without. It's a trade off Yamaha accepted to produce a strong belt. The Carbon cords in the C12 belt do not cut the aluminum like the Kevlar does, while maintaining it's proven strength. Plus the C12 belt is dirt cheap which I don't mind at all :D

The images below show the oem 700 belt on the two sheaves to the left and the C12 on the right.
View attachment 1528
Agreed with this!!!

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Not knocking or questioning anyones product here, just seeking info. When I see "performance enhancing" aftermarket products I always ask myself.....If this modification is so great, why isn't the manufacturer with it's treasure chest full of engineers doing it?

What will a sheave kit do for me and why do I need it? I plan on running stock wheels 2/3 and T4S tracks the other 1/3 of the time. I don't do mud if I can avoid it, I like to climb hills and the tracks will be for playing in the snow only.

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
No worries. Yamaha does take many of the mods that people come up with and incorporate them in. With your cvt cover on, You get a little better bottom end and greater top end. Those tracks take a lot of torque to pull in the snow. I've seen guys push a blade too. Slugging the wet clutch will yield more torque transfer at low speeds. With the cvt cover off, you step into my area of cvt mods which is generally less high speed and more rock crawling power. You do need to avoid the mud with the covers off.

·
Vendor
771 Posts
Not knocking or questioning anyones product here, just seeking info. When I see "performance enhancing" aftermarket products I always ask myself.....If this modification is so great, why isn't the manufacturer with it's treasure chest full of engineers doing it?

What will a sheave kit do for me and why do I need it? I plan on running stock wheels 2/3 and T4S tracks the other 1/3 of the time. I don't do mud if I can avoid it, I like to climb hills and the tracks will be for playing in the snow only.
IT is a good question and I would give you a very simple answer, may sound smart butt on text but I don't mean it that way.

If the manufacturers did this which they don't then there would be no aftermarket for anything. Does a set of headers and exhaust give a old chevy more power? sure why doesn't chevy do it?

Cost is the biggest factor in the manufacturers and also they need things to be safe and japanese companies are safe

Example: A muzzy exhaust on a rhino and Teryx yields very good results and gains more so on the teryx but both. On a RZR, it is a waste of money they extract the most they can on that.

So there is always something that can be done better

However, yamaha did take what we were doing and put it in the woverine sheave, it is way better than the stock 660 rhino was but still leaves us some room for improvement.

STupid ******* test, in stock form I can get in a heavy load conditon and no tire will turn and the engine bogs down, with all our clutch mods in same conditions I can dig four holes in the ground from all four tires.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Thanks guys I appreciate the info. Is slugging the clutch something I need to do in conjunction with getting a sheave kit? I'm not overly concerned about top speed. Most riding is leisurely strolls through the woods. Still not clear on if I want a dry or wet clutch?

The other thing I worry about when enhancing performance is upsetting the system. Every machine has an engineered weak spot whether by design or by default. Enhancing torque or power curves can expose or change the system.

I consider installing tracks a big performance enhancer. I am concerned about increased weight and torque affecting wheel bearings, axles, belts etc. Is this anything I need to worry about? I'm new to the UTV market and I apologize for the noobie questions.

·
Vendor
771 Posts
Thanks guys I appreciate the info. Is slugging the clutch something I need to do in conjunction with getting a sheave kit? I'm not overly concerned about top speed. Most riding is leisurely strolls through the woods. Still not clear on if I want a dry or wet clutch?

The other thing I worry about when enhancing performance is upsetting the system. Every machine has an engineered weak spot whether by design or by default. Enhancing torque or power curves can expose or change the system.

I consider installing tracks a big performance enhancer. I am concerned about increased weight and torque affecting wheel bearings, axles, belts etc. Is this anything I need to worry about? I'm new to the UTV market and I apologize for the noobie questions.
Feel free to call me and we can discuss some of that with you

Todd

1 - 18 of 18 Posts