21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I had the same issue. My dealer looked at the steering and he and Yamaha found it was an electronic controller. Yamaha has sent them replacement parts to correction.
Good to know! So have they fixed it already? If so, can you let me know your dealers name so I can have my dealer get in touch with them if needed. After he returned my call the next day and didn't leave a message, I've been trying for 3 days to reach the guy at Yamaha with no success.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Finally got back in touch with Yamaha. They said to take it back to the dealer and then have the dealer call Yamaha so a tech there can help them work through it. Would have been nice for this to happen before I picked it up from the dealership. Instead, I had to do the leg work to get in touch with Yamaha.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Finally got back in touch with Yamaha. They said to take it back to the dealer and then have the dealer call Yamaha so a tech there can help them work through it. Would have been nice for this to happen before I picked it up from the dealership. Instead, I had to do the leg work to get in touch with Yamaha.
Poor dealership.

Reactions: Hahny and kremerps

·
Registered
16 Posts
Poor dealership.
thanks for this thread. My machine does not pull to the right but it turns alot easier to the right than left and I'm guessing its the same controller. Unfortunately I read this after I left the dealership that's two hours away.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
thanks for this thread. My machine does not pull to the right but it turns alot easier to the right than left and I'm guessing its the same controller. Unfortunately I read this after I left the dealership that's two hours away.
Still waiting to get mine fixed. Hopefully I can get it back to the dealer in the next week or so.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I understand testing with and without power to determine this issue.

However, I wonder how many people may have a alignment issue too or if anyone has checked their alignment.
There are threads in the Gen 1 and X2/X4 sections about factory misalignments, so I'd be surprised if there weren't any alignment issues with the RMAX.
My X2 drove straight actually, but tire wear was abnormal. When I checked alignment, the drivers side was straight and passenger side was toed in 1/4" on a 8" bar.
They should've been toed in evenly within specs, but weren't.
Just something to observe also.

Passenger Side.

Drivers Side.

·
Registered
2020 X2 XT-R 850
267 Posts
So, I know this is an older thread, but I also know a lot of people have mentioned "pulling to the right" with their new machine.
I noticed it on my test drive at the dealership. They noted it for future warranty purposes. They then checked the air pressures, the alignment, the power steering unit, and everything else (they said) and reported no issues. So I've been living with a machine that pulls to the right since I've owned it. (5 months or so). Curiously...as the tires wear...the pull has gotten less and less...hmmm. That should have been the first clue.

I happened to come across an X2 XT-R video that was doing an overview on that machine (same one as mine) and he stated that he ALSO had that pull to the right...until he switched to a different tire. Then his pull went away.

I can see this as when you look at the GBC Dirt Commanders, the lugs all angle the same direction, and they are not angled evenly/proportionally (not sure how to explain this...) Even if you rotated the tires, they still all angle one direction, and I can see how this could cause a tire to want to favor one direction or not. The GBC's are not "directional" so to speak, but in looking at the design, one can see how the tires could easily have a bias to go one direction over the other.

That all said...I just bought new tires today. I took it out and test drove it around our neighborhood and down a 40mph speed limit street. I was focusing on road noise and smoothness...BOTH of which improved substantially. In fact, the engine noise is now louder than the road noise...and you don't get "vibrated" when starting off or stopping. It's very smooth and quiet. One thing I had forgotten about...was the pull. I noticed that it seemed to track a little better and I let go of the wheel and guess what?...the pull is GONE. Yup, new tires did the trick, just as the guy on the youtube video stated. There is nothing wrong with my GBC's...it's just their design.

So, if you are having a pull to the right, and you have GBC Dirt Commanders...borrow a set of tires from someone and take your machine for a drive. Chances are good that the tires are the problem.

Just FYI, hope this helps someone!

Oh, by the way...I went with the Interco Sniper 920's in the stock 27" sizes.

Randy

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
I'm still trying to get my problem resolved. After getting it back from them after the first service and they couldn't fix it, they said call Yamaha. I called Yamaha and told them the problem. They noted it and said to take it back to the dealer and have the dealer contact them and they would work with the dealer to get it fixed. Had it at the dealership for a month. Heard nothing from them so I finally called last Thursday and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with the alignment. I told them that wasn't the problem and we had talked about it being the power steering. Then they said they had been trying to get in touch with Yamaha but couldn't. I got pretty mad at that point and told them it was horrible service and they completely dropped the ball on it. They said they would get it fixed the next day. Next day comes and goes and crickets from the dealership. Then the following day they called and said they got in touch with Yamaha and it was fixed. I asked if they were sure there was no pull and they said it was straight as an arrow. I went today and picked it up and right away I could tell they had the front wheels toed way out. When I drove it, it did drive fairly straight and the steering didn't pull to the right but it was still much harder to turn left and way easier to turn right. When turning left it would rebound quickly but when turning right, it wouldn't rebound. I was about to just take it home but when I went in to talk to the manager I asked if he had a demo I could drive just to see how it compared. He had the exact same model there with almost the same amount of miles. It drove perfect. Steering resistance and rebound was the same in either direction. Even when sitting still there was a big difference between the 2 of them. I told him to keep mine until they had it right. I think the only reason mine didn't pull to the right anymore was they had the front toed out so far that it had no choice but to go straight.

On another note, I got my YES warranty from Jared at Big Pine today. Mainly because I don't think this will get resolved within the 6 month warranty at this point. Told him about the problems and he said that was ridiculous. If he wasn't 1600 miles away, I'd take it there in a heartbeat for all my service.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,648 Posts
Dealer tells YOU to call Yamaha? Apparently, they are not very good at what they are supposed o be doing. Yamaha needs to be tuning these dealers up when they get reports like this.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I need a little help: So my steering issue is still on-going. Dealer ordered a new power steering unit and installed it and called me and said still no difference. They are calling Yamaha to see what else can be done. In the meantime, I went and picked the unit up so I could at least enjoy it a little (it's been at the dealership for 3 months). I got it home and thought I'd try to see if I could do anything with it. I removed the steering shaft from the power steering unit and rotated the steering wheel a bunch of turns in the direction that it was pulling to see if I could "center" the power steering unit. Put it all back together and it seems alot better. Not perfect but better. However, the steering wheel doesn't have the same amount of rotation in each direction (it was also this way before I took off the steering shaft). It turns about 1/4 turn less to the right than to the left. My first thought is to pull the steering wheel and rotate it a couple of teeth so it turns the same amount in each direction and then re-align it on the new centered point. However, the tie rods currently both have about the same amount of thread showing so if I do this, they will be really uneven. The wheels turn about 3 inches more to the left (measuring the movement at the front of the tire) than it does to the right. Can anyone tell me if their machine does the same thing as far as turning one direction more than the other. Kind of leery making any changes now since I finally have it to the point where you can take your hands off the wheel and it doesn't pull hard right. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
2020 X2 XT-R 850
267 Posts
I need a little help: So my steering issue is still on-going. Dealer ordered a new power steering unit and installed it and called me and said still no difference. They are calling Yamaha to see what else can be done. In the meantime, I went and picked the unit up so I could at least enjoy it a little (it's been at the dealership for 3 months). I got it home and thought I'd try to see if I could do anything with it. I removed the steering shaft from the power steering unit and rotated the steering wheel a bunch of turns in the direction that it was pulling to see if I could "center" the power steering unit. Put it all back together and it seems alot better. Not perfect but better. However, the steering wheel doesn't have the same amount of rotation in each direction (it was also this way before I took off the steering shaft). It turns about 1/4 turn less to the right than to the left. My first thought is to pull the steering wheel and rotate it a couple of teeth so it turns the same amount in each direction and then re-align it on the new centered point. However, the tie rods currently both have about the same amount of thread showing so if I do this, they will be really uneven. The wheels turn about 3 inches more to the left (measuring the movement at the front of the tire) than it does to the right. Can anyone tell me if their machine does the same thing as far as turning one direction more than the other. Kind of leery making any changes now since I finally have it to the point where you can take your hands off the wheel and it doesn't pull hard right. Any help is appreciated!
What TIRES are on your machine?...see my post a couple posts up...mine had a terrible pull to the right with the factory dirt commanders. I tried everything, dealer checked electrics, power steering unit, rotated tires, checked brakes for pull, alignment, etc....in the end once I bought a new set of tires, the machine goes perfectly straight now. If you look at the lugs on the dirt commanders, you can see how they will always favor the right side (shape/direction of lugs) and rotating won't help, neither will remounting the tire backwards...

If you have DIRT COMMANDERS...borrow a set of DIFFERENT mounted tires (maybe dealer will do this for you?) (but NOT another set of dirt commanders...it's not that the tire was defective, its the LUG DESIGN) and see what it does! Just FYI...I bought the Interco Sniper 920's and am very happy with them. quiet and smooth on pavement which unfortunately is where i ride most of the time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
What TIRES are on your machine?...see my post a couple posts up...mine had a terrible pull to the right with the factory dirt commanders. I tried everything, dealer checked electrics, power steering unit, rotated tires, checked brakes for pull, alignment, etc....in the end once I bought a new set of tires, the machine goes perfectly straight now. If you look at the lugs on the dirt commanders, you can see how they will always favor the right side (shape/direction of lugs) and rotating won't help, neither will remounting the tire backwards...

If you have DIRT COMMANDERS...borrow a set of DIFFERENT mounted tires (maybe dealer will do this for you?) (but NOT another set of dirt commanders...it's not that the tire was defective, its the LUG DESIGN) and see what it does! Just FYI...I bought the Interco Sniper 920's and am very happy with them. quiet and smooth on pavement which unfortunately is where i ride most of the time.
The pull to the right seems to be much better with this power steering unit. The old unit would pull to the right with the wheels off the ground so tires weren't the problem with that. Also, I drove another base unit at the dealership with the same tires and the steering was perfect so I know it's possible. Not to say that the tires can't cause a pull, just not the problem I'm trying to diagnose now. What I am looking for is if anyone else has the same issue of the wheels turning one direction more than the other. I know this can be fixed by an alignment but I don't want to go changing the alignment if it is going to make everything else worse just to get the steering even.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Not much help but here is what I've experieced a few times. When turning left it almost feels like diff lock is engaged. Its harder to turn then just no power steering at all. It only does it for a second of two and returns to normal steering effort. I have not noticed it while turning right. It does not pull one way or the other and drive straight. Alignment is good. It happens randomaly even on level surfaces. Its only done it a few times and I'm sure the dealer won't be able to replicate it. My only thoughts are that my battery has drained on my twice (thanks AP) and either that caused an issue with the EPS (like maybe it need to relearn stuff) or my battery isn't as good as it used to be and not putting out enough for the EPS even though I'm showing 14.4V on the AP.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Not much help but here is what I've experieced a few times. When turning left it almost feels like diff lock is engaged. Its harder to turn then just no power steering at all. It only does it for a second of two and returns to normal steering effort. I have not noticed it while turning right. It does not pull one way or the other and drive straight. Alignment is good. It happens randomaly even on level surfaces. Its only done it a few times and I'm sure the dealer won't be able to replicate it. My only thoughts are that my battery has drained on my twice (thanks AP) and either that caused an issue with the EPS (like maybe it need to relearn stuff) or my battery isn't as good as it used to be and not putting out enough for the EPS even though I'm showing 14.4V on the AP.
Thanks for the info. Definitely sounds like a similar problem. That was exactly what it felt like all the time with my "factory" power steering unit. I have noticed when aligning it that the drivers side front wheel is not the same distance in relation to the back wheel as the front left wheel is. In other words, when I take a string down the side of the machine and make sure that it is 2" from the front and back of the back tire on each side and then measure how far it is away from the front tires, the front tire measurements aren't equal to each other. What I'm kind of wondering is that maybe my alignment is correct but my steering rack isn't centered. When the steering rack is centered (which is how it was when I had all the problems with my power steering), maybe the power steering has to work harder to turn left than right because of the difference in the geometry of the wheels. Maybe I'm way off but now it seems to all be good except for turning further left than right.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Jack up your front and spin the passenger tire in 2WD. Go about 10 forward and then go backwards. Any binding? Working on a theory here. More to come if anyone else has a binding issue. Passenger side inside CV joint maybe my culprit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I guess I finally fixed it, or at least got it much better. The dealer replaced the steering unit but it was still pulling to the right. I took it home and pulled the shaft off the power steering unit, turned the steering wheel about 10 times in each direction and then let it settle and put the shaft back on. It seems to have mostly fixed the pull. I guess the power steering unit wasn't "centered" if there is such a thing. It does still seem a little easier to turn to the right than to the left but I guess I can live with it. Alignment is good and it does stay straight when you let your hands off the wheel. I did get the YES Warranty just in case this pops up again.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I think our issues were a little different. Mine is like a halt in power steering when turning and then it would come right back. I'm a little perplexed with what's going on.

I had a pop everyone in a while in the front but not often. I thought it was because I had too much preload and was stressing stuff. Then I had a ball joint shear off at the threads and thought maybe the ball joint was bad and causing the pop. It ripper the passenger side out boot when the arm fell down. When I went to pull the axle I noticed that something is binding in the inner joint and possibly the front diff.

For some reason when I would feel the binding, the other side has a bind in it to. This doesn't make sense to me in two wheel drive. 4wd or diff lock, I could see how one side would affect the other in feeling something grab when spinning the tires with the font lifted with a jack.

I pulled the axle out and the everything feels good in the front diff. I went fishing with a magnet and nothing came out on it. However with the axle in, you can clearly hear a pop and it looks like the whole front diff moves (not just the axle).

I have the axle out now and there is a bind in the rotation of the inner joint. Maybe it is just bad enough to make the diff look like it moved but I still don't know why when it binds up and affect the other side in 2wd.

Now my problem is do I take it in and wait for back ordered parts? Pull the inner boot and see if I can find something and then still wait on back ordered parts that I'd be paying out of pocket for or just throw it all back together and hope it makes until riding season dies down. Then let it sit at the dealer waiting on back ordered parts.

My only concern is something really messing up on me on some difficult trail and trying to get out with an exploded front diff or bad axle. I usually wouldn't mess with warranty stuff if I can fix it for around $100 because its not worth my time to take it to the dealer and wait. However, parts availability and lack of aftermarket support is bad right now. I wish I could buy a $100-$150 axle to try and keep for a spare but the OEM axle is expensive and the only option that I can find.

I may start a new thread on this as I don't know how many will read this here. Iit doesn't really help since you got yours mostly figured out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had been addressing this in the "steering wheel off center" thread but thought I should put it in a separate thread. My RMAX2 pulls right as soon as you let your hands off the wheel. It is also easier to steer to the right than the left. If you disconnect the power steering, it is fine. Have a call into Yamaha and they did try to get back to me but I'm playing phone tag with the guy now. Will let you know as soon as I find out anything but let me know if you are having the same problem. Here is a video that Rod12056 found that shows exactly what I'm experiencing:
Hate to break the bad news but I just had my 2020 X4 in for the same problem. Turns out the sensor that tells the computer how much power to send to the electric power steering motor was bad. Unfortunately the sensor is not replaceable and the whole power steering gearbox required replacement. I dodged a bullet because mine was covered by the YES warranty so $0 out of pocket. If I didn't have the warranty repair would have been close to $2000. Part alone is around $1500. Best of luck

21 - 40 of 42 Posts