Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been addressing this in the "steering wheel off center" thread but thought I should put it in a separate thread. My RMAX2 pulls right as soon as you let your hands off the wheel. It is also easier to steer to the right than the left. If you disconnect the power steering, it is fine. Have a call into Yamaha and they did try to get back to me but I'm playing phone tag with the guy now. Will let you know as soon as I find out anything but let me know if you are having the same problem. Here is a video that Rod12056 found that shows exactly what I'm experiencing:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
my 2017 rspec has done that before. It went away on its own.. its almost like the steering sensor needs reset or recalibrated.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Just be aware that this kind of power steering does need something holding the wheel for it to orientate. When the wheel is let free the sensors have no reference to center to help drive it straight.

Not saying you guy's don't have something going on also that isn't normal but I would also suspect that letting the steering wheel go completely may have effect that wouldn't seem normal when it actually is just what they do when the sensor are sensing nothing one way or the other because the sensor are sensing wheel effort that should always be there. Let the wheel go all effort for sensor to react to disappears.

The electric steering wasn't designed to function with the wheel released. Completely. While you wouldn't expect to matter it could I believe. If you loom at how this type of power steering functions I think possible side effect of design.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just be aware that this kind of power steering does need something holding the wheel for it to orientate. When the wheel is let free the sensors have no reference to center to help drive it straight.

Not saying you guy's don't have something going on also that isn't normal but I would also suspect that letting the steering wheel go completely may have effect that wouldn't seem normal when it actually is just what they do when the sensor are sensing nothing one way or the other because the sensor are sensing wheel effort that should always be there. Let the wheel go all effort for sensor to react to disappears.

The electric steering wasn't designed to function with the wheel released. Completely. While you wouldn't expect to matter it could I believe. If you loom at how this type of power steering functions I think possible side effect of design.
I hear ya but I have a Viking with EPS that doesn't do this and the General I got rid of to get the RMAX had EPS and it didn't do this. Several folks have also noted that theirs doesn't do this. In addition, it's harder to turn left than it is to turn right. Granted, I don't ride trails without my hands on the wheel, but for 20K I expect it to work right.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm probably no help but on machines I have worked on in the past, the EPS was failing usually due to a impact on one of the front wheels causing damage to the EPS sensors. The machines would usually try to turn one way or the other while sitting in the shop with just the key on. There was a Teryx in the shop last week doing the same thing. Hopefully the dealer can recalibrate it but you might want to disconnect the battery for awhile and see if it will reset on it's own. These other machines were older and a replacement EPS was the fix.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I hear ya but I have a Viking with EPS that doesn't do this and the General I got rid of to get the RMAX had EPS and it didn't do this. Several folks have also noted that theirs doesn't do this. In addition, it's harder to turn left than it is to turn right. Granted, I don't ride trails without my hands on the wheel, but for 20K I expect it to work right.
You need to have it fixed. It’s not normal!

There are some old threads in the x model sections on a few units turning easier on way than the other. Probably the same thing.

Neither of my machines do any such thing!

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000 LE
420 Posts
Sounds like a alignment issue to me. could be a simple tie rod adjustment...?

The power steering may simply be adding to the alignment issue, as it assists the ease of motion
(If that makes sense).

I am just tossing a guess out there. Might be worth a try to toe in front right wheel , or toe out left. I would start by trying to evaluate with a tape measure, or eyesight.

Hopefully you get it figured , that would annoy the crap out of me.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts

The power steering may simply be adding to the alignment issue, as it assists the ease of motion
(If that makes sense).

I am just tossing a guess out there. Might be worth a try to toe in front right wheel , or toe out left. I would start by trying to evaluate with a tape measure, or eyesight.

Hopefully you get it figured , that would annoy the crap out of me.
Good call but he’s already ruled everything else out in a different thread. He’s just down to this power steering always automatically pulling in one direction!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I haven't read the other post, but right brake hanging up??

·
Registered
10 Posts
i would start with making sure all 4 tires have good air pressure then check brakes.. my old x4 would pull hard to the right sometimes but thats cause i had a slow leak in the right rear tire so it would only happen when i was few pounds low on air pressure

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
@ Bumblebee, I had him check that already!

@Sunn he’s checked that too!

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
I would jack it up with all 4 wheels off the ground. Crank it and vary the RPMs enough to vary the voltage like when you are normally driving it. If it starts turning to the right just slightly without the front wheels turning you know without a doubt it is the power steering unit. If it doesn't move then that might make me lean more toward balance, toe-in, road/trail crown, brake dragging, etc. But at least it would be interesting to confirm yes or no with the wheels off the ground.

You could turn the front wheels by hand with it running to see if that has any affect and try it in 4 whd.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I'm probably no help but on machines I have worked on in the past, the EPS was failing usually due to a impact on one of the front wheels ......
Hydrualic power steering can do the same thing, for the same reason.

(If that makes sense).
Power steering resist feedback coming from the wheels. In the same way it makes easier to steer it resist movement coming from the wheels.

Reactions: Budro2

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If it is anything like my gen 1 did. It the power steering and nothing else.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would jack it up with all 4 wheels off the ground. Crank it and vary the RPMs enough to vary the voltage like when you are normally driving it. If it starts turning to the right just slightly without the front wheels turning you know without a doubt it is the power steering unit. If it doesn't move then that might make me lean more toward balance, toe-in, road/trail crown, brake dragging, etc. But at least it would be interesting to confirm yes or no with the wheels off the ground.

You could turn the front wheels by hand with it running to see if that has any affect and try it in 4 whd.
Yep, I did this also. Just had the fronts off the ground when I was checking brakes. Turned to the right as soon as you started it.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Yep, I did this also. Just had the fronts off the ground when I was checking brakes. Turned to the right as soon as you started it.
Since it did it with the front wheels off the ground and not rotating that rules out all possibilities except for the power steering unit.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Does the RMAX have a EPS Self Diagnosis Mode like the X machines?

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
No idea. How do you get into that mode?
It should be in the Service Manual.
Screenshot from the X2/X4 Service Manual......

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had been addressing this in the "steering wheel off center" thread but thought I should put it in a separate thread. My RMAX2 pulls right as soon as you let your hands off the wheel. It is also easier to steer to the right than the left. If you disconnect the power steering, it is fine. Have a call into Yamaha and they did try to get back to me but I'm playing phone tag with the guy now. Will let you know as soon as I find out anything but let me know if you are having the same problem. Here is a video that Rod12056 found that shows exactly what I'm experiencing:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts