Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Vendor
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Wolverine runs really lean in the lower RPM in the cruising RPM and lower throttle positions causing the exhaust to get hotter than normal

This seems to be the norm for several manufacturers these days to help the environment I guess

The Power Commander V is available at Hunterworks now and we have a fuel map that richens that area up and the map is set for a air/fuel ratio of around 13 throughout the rpm range.

Also, with the Power Commander it is not just a fuel controller but a ignition too so I was able to raise the limiter to 8000 rpm

Only a few people in the country have their own software from Dynojet to program the rev extend codes and we do.

Also if you buy a Power Commander just off the shelf somewhere, it will not exceed top speed in most cases and not have much of a increase in RPM

We custom program ours here

Click the link below to see it on the website and feel free to call me with any questions.

Link to Power Commander V on our site

Todd

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Was that the fastest sell ever? Haha :D Would you release maps for exhaust when available to those that purchase commanders from you?

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Wish I would have had time to put it on for yesterday's ride but I took everything apart to check the sheave and clean all underneath the covers today. Installing the commander was a snap with all the panels off. The crank sensor was way down but not bad at all with the center console out.

Got everything together and took it for a ride. This is a completely stock motor/exhaust with the 28" Mega Mayhem tires. I was reading 58 on the speedo and 61 !!! on the GPS. Holy moly. No more decel pop either! Woohoo. I'm happy. Now time for a pipe and tune :D

Thanks Todd for offering these.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Wish I would have had time to put it on for yesterday's ride but I took everything apart to check the sheave and clean all underneath the covers today. Installing the commander was a snap with all the panels off. The crank sensor was way down but not bad at all with the center console out.

Got everything together and took it for a ride. This is a completely stock motor/exhaust with the 28" Mega Mayhem tires. I was reading 58 on the speedo and 61 !!! on the GPS. Holy moly. No more decel pop either! Woohoo. I'm happy. Now time for a pipe and tune :D

Deeyoh, how long did it take to install? I have ordered the complete sheave kit from Todd it will arrive tomorrow & I will order the commander tomorrow. Install everything at the same time is the plan!!! I'm glad you are pleased with the modifications & I hope to benefit the same

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
The actual plugging in the wires and mounting the box was less than 15 minutes. Now putting the bed, console, and all the panels back on took awhile. I guess the clutch slugs, sheave, secondary spring. Took the longest about 8 hours. Tore it all down for that too. I didn't mount the box on top of the airbox lid. I put mine up on the passengers side of the console panel. Just seemed like a better place and out of the way. I take the airbox lid off a lot to clean the filter.

IMG_20150719_223926_156.jpg

·
Registered
123 Posts
That deffinatly looks like a better spot for it. Did you have to hook up your laptop & do any configurations? I assume it's pre loaded?

·
Vendor
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

How did you plug yours in? My plug had to be accessed from the bottom

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Mine was sitting on the passenger side of the airbox. About even with the bottom of it. Had those 2 big connectors and the crank position one on the same bundle. I didn't have the whole center console in (that piece I have the commander mounted to now), so it was right there easy to access.

One other thing I did, while I was at it, was use dielectric grease in all connections. :D

·
Vendor
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine was sitting on the passenger side of the airbox. About even with the bottom of it. Had those 2 big connectors and the crank position one on the same bundle. I didn't have the whole center console in (that piece I have the commander mounted to now), so it was right there easy to access.

One other thing I did, while I was at it, was use dielectric grease in all connections. :D

The one I was using to test was a rhino unit, wrong harness and different programming. Got an actual Wolverine unit now and when I put it on, will try your way

Todd

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
For the power commander.. make sure you Zero out the throttle position while it's running and hot. Think the low value even when hot was about .684 but I set it to .70 to let the PC read 0 throttle quicker. Getting a much better high rpm decel with it set like that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok guys I just bought a 2016 wolverine r-spec. Thus is my first sidexside, and have a few questions. I bought it with 28" mud lites on factory aluminum wheels, fender flares, and front-rear bumpers. I've seen people on here say that the wolverine has a tendency to run hot in loe rpm situations, and some have said if your running 28" tires you should put in a clutch kit. Ok so here is my question. Should I put in both the machined sheave, and the pcv w/ ignition?
Thanks for you time and advice.
Joey

·
November WOTM Winner!
878 Posts
The machined sheave would definitely help with the 28" tires. They do run lean and adding the power commander will give you a lot more fuel in that part of the map, however its still kinda unclear if the glowing exhaust it really from running lean or valves that need to be adjusted. Not all machines have the same glowing exhaust issues and some that did found that the valves needed adjusting. Will you get big power gains with the PCV? No not really, but it will definitely give you a lot more fuel in that part of the map.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not really looking for power gains, because most of my riding at the 30 to 40 mph range or slower. I just don't want to work the crap out of the motor and tranny with the bigget tires, and don't won't glowing exhaust tips lol.

·
November WOTM Winner!
878 Posts
I have one on mine, but if I were you I'd do the sheave and keep an eye on the exhaust temps. Also check valve clearance if it starts getting hot

·
June WOTM Winner!
98 Posts
Ok guys I just bought a 2016 wolverine r-spec. Thus is my first sidexside, and have a few questions. I bought it with 28" mud lites on factory aluminum wheels, fender flares, and front-rear bumpers. I've seen people on here say that the wolverine has a tendency to run hot in loe rpm situations, and some have said if your running 28" tires you should put in a clutch kit. Ok so here is my question. Should I put in both the machined sheave, and the pcv w/ ignition?
Thanks for you time and advice.
Joey
Joey, I would slug that clutch along with the new Sheave, I did all three and the low end is GREAT !

·
Vendor
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wolverine PCV are on backorder at Dynojet so if anyone is interested order quickly so you can be first

Sheaves are in stock today, was a couple left when I left yesterday. Had been waiting on weights but they are in stock now as well as slug kits

Todd

1 - 20 of 25 Posts