Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have seen many posts of machines running lean,glowing exhaust & even melted spark plugs.The power commander from Hunterworks is supposed to correct the lean condition.Spoke with Todd this morning,excellent to talk with,took much of his valued time to explain to me how it works and how easy it is to hook up.Has anyone tried one of these on a stock Wolverine?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Not familiar with power commander but will.take a.look at it on line today. I have no running lean problem but I do smell gas a lot. Figured it was because I put the back enclosure in..

·
Registered
575 Posts
I think a few on here run them. In think Ford truck man and a few others have them installed.. I think they may have custom tunes on them though.

For what it's with I run one on my cbr and like it. My air fuel ratio is basically linear (perfect) not lean or rich.. pretty much spot on. Across the entire rpm range.

·
Vendor
764 Posts
Not familiar with power commander but will.take a.look at it on line today. I have no running lean problem but I do smell gas a lot. Figured it was because I put the back enclosure in..
It is running lean you just don't know it, bad lean in the lower rpm and throttle positions and you are just smelling exhaust not a rich condition.

Todd

·
November WOTM Winner!
877 Posts
I'm not really familiar with these. Are you really noticing any performance differences or mostly just cooler exhaust temps?

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
I run the Power Commander 5, or PCV, on my Raptor 700 along with a full dual exhaust and higher flowing intake. The difference in power is insane. The PCV will come loaded with a tune from the seller 9 times out of 10, as that is the way it is distributed. You can however tune them yourself, but I never have. On my Wolverine, I have only the HMF Fuel Optimizer, which is made by Dobeck, and only adjusts fuel trims. The PCV adjusts timing(ignition advance) and fuel. I intend to get a PCV for the wolverine eventually, but they were not available yet when I got my exhaust, so I just got the fuel controller from HMF. If you run the PCV with no modifications to the exhaust, you will likely only have marginal gains in power, but should notice a decent increase in throttle response due to a better AFR throughout the band. If coupled with a better breathing exhaust, you should notice some pretty serious power increase, especially if you are on stock tires still. I would bet a PCV with decent exhaust would see 6-8hp increase over stock at the wheels on stock tires. For anyone on the fence about ordering one, if you can afford $320, get it. You won't regret it. If nothing else you will have piece of mind knowing you are not running lean and worrying about preignition(detonation). In theory this should not be an issue, but if the tune from the factory is on the hairy edge of lean, then just running some shitty gas will get you into the red zone and you risk detonation. My 2 Cents.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I run the Power Commander 5, or PCV, on my Raptor 700 along with a full dual exhaust and higher flowing intake. The difference in power is insane. The PCV will come loaded with a tune from the seller 9 times out of 10, as that is the way it is distributed. You can however tune them yourself, but I never have. On my Wolverine, I have only the HMF Fuel Optimizer, which is made by Dobeck, and only adjusts fuel trims. The PCV adjusts timing(ignition advance) and fuel. I intend to get a PCV for the wolverine eventually, but they were not available yet when I got my exhaust, so I just got the fuel controller from HMF. If you run the PCV with no modifications to the exhaust, you will likely only have marginal gains in power, but should notice a decent increase in throttle response due to a better AFR throughout the band. If coupled with a better breathing exhaust, you should notice some pretty serious power increase, especially if you are on stock tires still. I would bet a PCV with decent exhaust would see 6-8hp increase over stock at the wheels on stock tires. For anyone on the fence about ordering one, if you can afford $320, get it. You won't regret it. If nothing else you will have piece of mind knowing you are not running lean and worrying about preignition(detonation). In theory this should not be an issue, but if the tune from the factory is on the hairy edge of lean, then just running some shitty gas will get you into the red zone and you risk detonation. My 2 Cents.
thanks for the explantation. those are all the upsides to the pcv. are there any downsides from going from stock to adding an exhaust and a pcv that you know of? thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
thanks for the explantation. those are all the upsides to the pcv. are there any downsides from going from stock to adding an exhaust and a pcv that you know of? thanks.
Downsides:VOID factory warranty. Exhaust will inherently be slightly louder, but mine is only 2 db, hardly noticeable. Now, you can get specialized quieter exhausts, but they will not perform as well as a standard exhaust, as to get quieter, they restrict flow in one fashion or another, which robs power. And the warranty, well this can be a gray area. Both items are removable, and both can be overlooked by a dealer depending on what damaged is being claimed under warranty. IMO, it's worth the risk. But that is just me.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Up side is you may get better fuel millage too.. If you can keep you foot out of it.

I have my power commander installed at the dealership and they even spent 3 hours on the dyno tuning it for me.. Actually they installed my exhaust and about 4 grand more of parts on my cbr before I picked it up..lol

So I'm not too worried about warranty.. But I wouldn't go in demanding and acting a fool..

·
Registered
388 Posts
thats not many downsides, which is what i was wanting to hear. might have to pick one of these bad boys up.

·
Vendor
764 Posts
I guess I will be the fly in the ointment, we sell them, sold this device and several others including our own CDI and I will not tell anyone they will get much of a performance benefit from buying one by itself, it is just not there.

On a rhino and teryx you do it to get by the speed and rev limiters, on wolverine there is only a marginal gain in speed, and not sure I would say better performance. Remember lean is mean so richening it up even though it needs it in the lower throttle positions and RPM just lowers temps not increase performance

Guess I am shooting myself in the foot since I sell them but I will not sell anything with false expectations.

Todd

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
I guess I will be the fly in the ointment, we sell them, sold this device and several others including our own CDI and I will not tell anyone they will get much of a performance benefit from buying one by itself, it is just not there.

On a rhino and teryx you do it to get by the speed and rev limiters, on wolverine there is only a marginal gain in speed, and not sure I would say better performance. Remember lean is mean so richening it up even though it needs it in the lower throttle positions and RPM just lowers temps not increase performance

Guess I am shooting myself in the foot since I sell them but I will not sell anything with false expectations.

Todd
I agree, as I had said earlier, marginal gains at best with the PCV by itself. I will be curious though what you see for gains with a bone stock wolverine(no sheave upgrade) then adding a high flow exhaust and the PCV and dyno tuning it. Should see a decet gain then, no too mention great throttle response.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Ah, don't know how I missed this one. I'm running the PC V. Notice it does give a better throttle response.. can really tell out on the trails when you come out of a sharp turn and punch it climbing a hill. Just seems to rev better. Made this vid awhile back on the top end to give some indication of what it does.

·
Engineer
1,776 Posts
Up side is you may get better fuel millage too.. If you can keep you foot out of it.

I have my power commander installed at the dealership and they even spent 3 hours on the dyno tuning it for me.. Actually they installed my exhaust and about 4 grand more of parts on my cbr before I picked it up..lol

So I'm not too worried about warranty.. But I wouldn't go in demanding and acting a fool..
You can add any A/B switch to the powercommander in the two holes closest to the harness. Then in the features and enables turn on the map switch 1 or 2. You can add an additional map which may be switched on the fly at anytime during your drive. This way you can have a high power map and a mpg map to get you home. So you can put your foot into it and then switch it when you hop on the highway. :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts