Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 X2 R-Spec
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the Perfex 2" front and rear lift on my 2021 X2. I used the 1.5" option on the rear lift. I also installed 1" spacers all around and am on stock wheels and tires. I removed both sway bars when I first purchased the machine and I like the ride and articulation without the sway bars. But now that I have the lift, I am wondering if there is any safety or mechanical reasons that I should reinstall one or both sway bars?

·
Registered
2021 X2 R-Spec
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Facial expression Cartoon Vertebrate Happy Gesture

Reactions: Hailbun

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts
For general overall riding I'd say you're fine.
I do a lot of hard technical and ran into a situation where I felt the rear sway bar would've helped prevent a issue, so I reinstalled it.

During install, I noticed that I had to apply some force to the rear A-arm assembly to get the shock bolt to make up.
This told me that at full droop, it's definitely not at it's happy place. Spring preload was at it's softest setting also.

Long story short, I was in a situation where I had 1 rear tire off the ground.
While spinning the wheels to get out, my spotter shouted to stop as a rear CV boot had pulled off and was slinging grease.
It was fine before I tried to recover the vehicle so I concluded that the downward force (shock pressure/tire weight) had caused the issue.
I believe the sway bar would've prevented the issue or maybe helped that "one" wheel with the mentioned forces as the opposite wheels shock was compressed due to the position the car was in.

I will not debate this issue. My friends & I inspected the vehicle and we have come to this conclusion.

On the drive home, that rear CV axle didn't feel right as it acted like it was engaging/disengaging.
I just replaced that side and life was good after a 12hr break-in ride.
The tighter tolerances on the new CV axle felt as if it was doing most of the work.
I saved the old axle for a later inspection, but that's another subject.

Reactions: Pyro

·
Registered
2021 X2 R-Spec
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For general overall riding I'd say you're fine.
I do a lot of hard technical and ran into a situation where I felt the rear sway bar would've helped prevent a issue, so I reinstalled it.

During install, I noticed that I had to apply some force to the rear A-arm assembly to get the shock bolt to make up.
This told me that at full droop, it's definitely not at it's happy place. Spring preload was at it's softest setting also.

Long story short, I was in a situation where I had 1 rear tire off the ground.
While spinning the wheels to get out, my spotter shouted to stop as a rear CV boot had pulled off and was slinging grease.
It was fine before I tried to recover the vehicle so I concluded that the downward force (shock pressure/tire weight) had caused the issue.
I believe the sway bar would've prevented the issue or maybe helped that "one" wheel with the mentioned forces as the opposite wheels shock was compressed due to the position the car was in.

I will not debate this issue. My friends & I inspected the vehicle and we have come to this conclusion.

On the drive home, that rear CV axle didn't feel right as it acted like it was engaging/disengaging.
I just replaced that side and life was good after a 12hr break-in ride.
The tighter tolerances on the new CV axle felt as if it was doing most of the work.
I saved the old axle for a later inspection, but that's another subject.
That is kind of the exact scenario that I was concerned about. I think I might reconnect my rear sway bar and see how it does.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I am no expert but my guess is that the axle came apart pulled out of the cage then it could spin without moving the tire then when putting it back on the ground the spline’s went back in the cage and worked properly if I remember correctly there’s no clip holding that in there you can pound that right off with a hammer. Limit straps should help that if you wanted to remove the sway bar again. Not sure why I am telling you this is something you would know. I guess I am asking you if you think that’s what happened

·
Registered
669 Posts
I am no expert but my guess is that the axle came apart pulled out of the cage then it could spin without moving the tire then when putting it back on the ground the spline’s went back in the cage and worked properly if I remember correctly there’s no clip holding that in there you can pound that right off with a hammer. Limit straps should help that if you wanted to remove the sway bar again. Not sure why I am telling you this is something you would know. I guess I am asking you if you think that’s what happened
There are clips to hold the shafts together. My personal experience is the axles are a weak point in the rear of these machines and do not like any more articulation than stock

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.