Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

161 - 180 of 192 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Yeah, the spacers were needed with my 19' X2 as my 10-1/8" tires rubbed at full droop.
Plus they add to stability are overall stance.
Good call :D

Reactions: wolvymanx4

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
View attachment 87018

Thanks SKELLEY521, that was a lot easier than I made it out to be.

Lift went on easy except 2 spacers were missing, luckily hardware store is 5 min away and had them.

back went from 11.5 inches to 14 inches front went from 12 inches to 15. That is with 1.5 option in rear and putting on the 28x10 sedona tires.

Rides great and I removed the rear sway bar, not sure if Ill keep it off but for not seems to be going ok
Nice ride! Looks great. I actually ran those same wheels on my Rhino when I had it.

Reactions: davecz

·
Registered
326 Posts
Actually Fred from perfex messaged me on Facebook about a week ago and told me he was about there on new rear brackets for the 2018-2019 X4. I asked him if he had gotten ahold of one for the fitment and testing and he said there was one in the shop as we were speaking. I asked him send me some pics of the brackets so that I can see what he did with them before he even starts sending them out. He said no problem. I have not heard back from him since but I'm hoping it won't be long. I'll let everybody know when I do.
Wolvyman ,
when I was working with Frederik on the original lift it takes sometimes a week to hear back " as he told me he has many irons in the fire" so don`t get disappointed if it takes a little bit for a return message. He will get back to you for sure.

Greg

·
Registered
326 Posts
With the lift what was your final heights?

So my final height was 12.5 " bottom of the hitch" in the rear and around 11.5 front. So not quiet 2 inches but better than what I had.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Mine was all over the place, but once it finally settled in, I'm pretty freakin close to 2"
In fact, if I remove my loaded yamaha box full of tools and let it level out, I'd bet I'm right on the money.
I'll adjust preload later down the road for it.

I thought the lift was looking higher the other day, so I took new measurements today.
Granted I have the Yamaha box stuffed full of tools and recovery gear and a packed cooler, so I figure if I remove both that these numbers will change again.

Front: 14-1/4"
Rear: 13-3/4"
Bottom of center skid pan: 12-3/4"

Anyhow, like Paul says, these are static numbers and bed load/passenger weight will change as well.
Just something to keep in mind when you do your lift/measurements.

It's a awesome lift and gives the car better ground clearance and a respectable stance to IMHO.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
In my opinion the static numbers don’t tell the story. I don’t measure the full lift after a ride (after it’s settled). I’m saying this to prevent unnecessary concerns. On the trail the lift is night and day difference!

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Wolvyman ,
when I was working with Frederik on the original lift it takes sometimes a week to hear back " as he told me he has many irons in the fire" so don`t get disappointed if it takes a little bit for a return message. He will get back to you for sure.

Greg
Oh I'm sure. I had not been contacting him at all when I got that message from him. I was very impressed that he reached back out to me with that info. on his own. When he does get back in touch with me I think that he'll be very surprised that I sold my X4 already after just installing his lift.

·
Registered
68 Posts
my final measurements were 14 in rear and 15 in front, prior to lift and tires it was 11.5 rear and 12 front. I went with the 1.5 in the back so seems in line. This was with lift and going to a 28 inch tire

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
363 Posts
I did my X2 yesterday and all in all it went pretty well. It was necessary to put a good bit of downward force on the front "A" arms to get the bolt thru the shock and that didn't seem like a good thing to me (the sway bar was removed the day I got the machine home). I expected there to be additional travel with the shock fully extended and the "A" arm at full droop. I contacted Perfex with my concern and Frederik replied almost real time... great customer service by the way. He was not able to provide any advice but did offer a full refund if I desired to go that route. Knowing so many had installed the lift without issues, I went ahead with the installation. The rears were completed without any problems.

Did anybody else experience the same or am I being too anal about this? There didn't seem to be any binding of the CV's after installation yet it still concerns me. I'll put some miles on it around my acreage before the next ride although I think if there is an issue, it would be with long term reliability... I'm too old to be replacing an axel on the trail.

That being said, I do like the extra ground clearance and it does look better. Optimum shock tuning is still hiding from me after chasing it for more than a year. My tire choice contributes to the harsh ride but was expecting something much better from the upgraded KYB's. Maybe I set the bar to high and can't get there from here. Likely to get an RMAX in the spring when they're more readily available so I'm not going to throw a lot more money at the X2 only to put it up for sale.

Your thoughts please, thanks in advance.

Mike

·
Registered
658 Posts
Limiting straps are a must with lifts on these X2/X4s.

Reactions: mvarner

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2
1,417 Posts
Limiting straps are a must with lifts on these X2/X4s.
I’m not familiar with “limiting straps.” What are they, and why do you feel the X2/X4’s need them?

Reactions: atkbike

·
Registered
113 Posts
Limiting straps are for lifted suspension setups to prevent damage to suspension and drivetrain components. Without limiting straps, the force of your vehicle's unsprung weight can cause damage to shocks and or CV joints when jumping or at high speeds over rough sections.

Basically it keeps your shocks/springs and CV joints from overextending now that your ride is lifted.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Just limiting 1.5" of drop saves you CV joints

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2
1,417 Posts
Limiting straps are for lifted suspension setups to prevent damage to suspension and drivetrain components. Without limiting straps, the force of your vehicle's unsprung weight can cause damage to shocks and or CV joints when jumping or at high speeds over rough sections.

Basically it keeps your shocks/springs and CV joints from overextending now that your ride is lifted.

Thank you for the response. But I'm curious about what is changing from the stock set up? Would we really would need these? We are still using the same shocks/springs, but they are just mounted in a new location. If we need them with a lift wouldn't we need them without a lift? I'm not arguing anybody's point here, I'm just trying to better understand.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
The shock bottoms out limiting travel, hence not as bad of a CV angle.
Moving the shock allows further travel of the CV axle.
In fact, I had to shove my A-arms down to make up the shock bolts. This tells me that the CV is not at a optimal angle and can bind in the right circumstances.

Reactions: Rhinohio

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone, Perfex lift ordered today. So what is the consensus for 2019 X2 SE : 1.5 or 2.0 hole in back? Need limiting straps? Ditch away bars? Do very little road, mostly field or woods trails, some rutted trail climbing & descending. Looking for long term durability and don't want to introduce new issues. Running 27" Blackwaters.

·
Registered
658 Posts
If you dont want issues leave it stock. Doesn't matter if it 1.5 or 2, 2018 - 19 axles are junk and will need to be upgraded to Demon HDs if you want reliability.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I did the 1.5" in the back and I'm really pleased with it. That was hundreds (more than 500) of miles ago. I don't have swaybars front or rear. I'm also running 27" tires. I do a LOT of tight technical trail riding up and down creeks and sides of hills with lots of tree root crossings. I have flexed my axles all the way up and down at all four corners - without sway bars. I have not observed any issues with the Perfex lift or the OEM axles. I have said it before, the Perfex lift is on my list of top three mods & I highly recommend it.

Now all that being said, anything can happen once you start modifications.

Reactions: Wolvie Hunter

·
Registered
658 Posts
So what are your temp reading on the CV joint after 30 minutes of hard riding ? I also thought my CV axle were fine until I started monitoring them.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
That's a good question! I need to get a non-contact thermometer and start monitoring things. I will say my average speed after 2800 miles is below 8 mph. All that flexing is done at 0-3 mph. You can be moving forward and the speedometer will register 0, it goes from 0 mph to 3 mph.

161 - 180 of 192 Posts