Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 RSpec SE parking brake doesn’t work. Cable isn’t broken or stretched and adjustment appears good. Where can I find info on repairing? Thx

·
Registered
804 Posts
Lift the rear end up and manually move the lever while someone spins the wheels. See how far the lever travel is. if it is bad it isn't going to be an easy repair.

·
Far from stock
954 Posts
Any update to this? Mine 2016 parking brake is also no longer working.

·
Registered
686 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,439 Posts
Have you driven with it on, unknowingly? Wonder if thats a factor.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The alarm and light tell you when it is on
I talked to a mechanic who works on Yamahas and rents Wolverines. This prob was not corrected until the 2018 models. The park brake gets out of adjustment and the adjustment screws are hard to get to. He takes a brake off the rear and puts a spacer rotor in place to adjust. I’m not sure that I understand his description but he says he has fixed this many times on the 2016s and it is a PIA.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,439 Posts
Not really, Light yes, alarm I doubt as mine hasn't alerted me since the first test drive(s) as I can recall. I think you have to be driving for it to sound, not if you're moving slowly at all.

I was going to wire an alarm but blew the plot think it out. I thought the alert lights were in the same as the helmet light. But no, its in the display itself for the brake alert. I can't get at the wiring for it.

I pull out my garage slow and hear the grown of the engine/transmission if the brake it still on. So all but once I catch it early.

·
Far from stock
954 Posts
Mine alarms if I try to drive with it on

·
Registered
326 Posts
Can you see if the pads are frozen, hung-up? Cables can also freeze-up if driven in snow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My parking brake freezes in the winter, so I do not use it in the winter unless for a short time. My tractor does the same. I deliberately left the brake off on my last trip to Colorado, But 1 of my hunting buddies must have set it. When we off loaded it was froze and with out heat had a dickens of a time getting it to release. Does anyone know an easy way to free it when it freezes?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
My parking brake freezes in the winter, so I do not use it in the winter unless for a short time. My tractor does the same. I deliberately left the brake off on my last trip to Colorado, But 1 of my hunting buddies must have set it. When we off loaded it was froze and with out heat had a dickens of a time getting it to release. Does anyone know an easy way to free it when it freezes?
I just get a short pry bar and leverage the arm for the brake coming out of the final back into the release position!
It doesn’t have to move very far.

I’ve read where people just hold the brake lever down so the alarm isn’t sounding and drive around till the final warms up enough that the brake releases but over time little by little this would wear out the brake enough that it’s out of spec and possibly cause the problem of the brake no longer working as described in this thread. Just a thought. I’d like to know what causes it to suddenly quit and what the fix is either way.
It’s hard to imagine that the brake would ever wear out if we don’t move while it’s applied, so it’s mysterious to me what’s going on here. It sounds like all is good and then suddenly it isn’t!

Reactions: Possum

·
Far from stock
954 Posts
Mine isn’t stuck on, it’s not engaging at all. I found out on a hill as I was getting ready to get out of it. It wasnt fun

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have not had the problem of it freezing with limited winter riding ion my area...if I did I was thinking that carrying my little butane torch might be an option to have in the glovebox.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,439 Posts
Neither have I had problems in the winter.

I you have been doing deep water riding often enough and/or late fall it maybe the cause since its cable activated. If water got into the cable of lower area of the cable that does not drain due to the angle. It'll certainly freeze. It will never dry out even in warm weather but will eventually rust as well. They aren't stainless cables I am sure. If you heat them up and get it moving it will undoubtedly freeze as soon as it can. Until such time as the water either removed or pushed out by oily fluid if you can get it in there. Not a winter repair especially outside. IMO

·
Registered
686 Posts
I ride through deep water in the winter and it froze up last season. It would always stop the alarm if I held the handle down while driving for a minute. This season it did the same but now no park brake. Pedal braking unchanged.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
@ DocT and Atcdan13, did you ever have to adjust your parking brake like it had shown some wear? Or did it feel the same as always and then just stop grabbing? Did your handle slowly rise higher and higher to get the brake on over time or does it still only come up a small amount and feel like the brake should be applied even though it’s not holding?
I’m just curious if this is something we can all eventually expect or if it has been unknowingly created!
DocT I know yours has a lot of miles so it stands to reason that you’d be more likely to have this happen, however I believe that every time you hold the handle down till the brake releases that you are wearing away some brake too. Holding it down is not forcing the brake lever arm at the final backwards it is only stopping the alarm. Driving like this makes it release as it warms up but it’s surely wearing away brake as well. It sounds to me like your friend that has fixed them is saying there is a defect or something where once it’s slightly worn out of spec it isn’t functioning properly anymore. In theory even if it’s worn some we should just be able to adjust it! I’m just curious if yours is worn out of spec to where this problem occurs because of holding the handle down and driving when it’s cold and stuck in the applied position?

My wife drove ours last and left the brake on and today when I went to use it, the brake was stuck as usual and the temperature last night was probably only in the 20s. This happens to me regularly in the winter and has nothing to do with deep water. I leveraged the brake arm back and went on with its use. I have a little over 5000 miles and I’ve never needed to adjust the brake and it still only moves upward a small amount before coming tight!

I’m thinking about installing a stiff spring from the brake lever arm back to the frame some where that will give enough assistance to make it release in these cold conditions so I don’t have to find a pry bar and push it!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Budro, The brake handle moves further now with no resistance and no spring return of handle to off position.

Reactions: Budro2

·
Far from stock
954 Posts
Mine worked totally fine with no noticeable differences then all of the sudden it didn’t. I’ve only got 1500 miles on mine though. It has almost no resistance when I pull it.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Mine worked totally fine with no noticeable differences then all of the sudden it didn’t. I’ve only got 1500 miles on mine though. It has almost no resistance when I pull it.
Sounds like something internal is just going haywire. Maybe the brake itself is fine but something has broke so no pressure is applied nor spring return?

Looking at the service manual I have to wonder if the splines are just shot on the parking brake cam shaft. This would allow the handle to pull all the way up without applying brake pressure and there wouldn’t be any resistance created through the spring to pull it back!

It appears that you could determine this by simply removing the parking brake arm to inspect!

It also states that pitting on the parking brake boss can cause erratic brake operation!

·
Registered
686 Posts
The Wolvy is going to my mechanic after this weekend. I will give an update after that. I wonder if the cable is corroded and needs replacing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts