Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried painting the Yamaha over fenders using Plasti-Dip or some plastic compatible spray paint?

What color would look best on the blue model?

I'm thinking orange or maybe white.
Fox springs are white and Yamaha colors are blue and white....
Orange and black look good together...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm not going to super mod or get too fancy with it but it just seems that is a real easy way to get a bit of a custom look on the cheap.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I've never used it but that plastic spray paint that Krylon makes has good reputation. I would think a colored roll on bed liner would stick well. I'm defenitely not a fan....but it is a Wolverine......Maize n Blue.

Reactions: Marley

·
Banned
420 Posts
Blue and silver is a good looking combo.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
It would have to be something with a flex additive, otherwise it will crack and flake off. And as always, surface preparation is key

·
Banned
420 Posts
How did you prep surface for painting ? Did you clear cat over Krylon ? What was your process ? I want to go with red over fenders on my white.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I want to go with red over fenders on my white.
Why am I not surprised? ��
That settles it....if mine ever come in off back order, they're getting painted Sparty green. ��

·
Banned
420 Posts
We get enough of these we can have a Big 10 ride.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
We get enough of these we can have a Big 10 ride.
I'm in......as long as we don't have to invite any maize n blue rigs. Nothing against the colors.....its just the personality type they are typically associated with.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How did you prep surface for painting ? Did you clear cat over Krylon ? What was your process ? I want to go with red over fenders on my white.
I just cleaned them lightly with Acetone. No sanding.
4 full coats - 2 one day and 2 the next. Let dry one day before installing.

Haven't clear coated them yet, but probably will later.

They passed the finger nail scratch test - now for a run through some bushes - I'm sure they won't be invincible but the Krylon for plastic bonds well.

·
Banned
420 Posts
Thanks Marley. How do you think it will hold up to pressure washing ? Did you paint underside ?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Adhesion is a big problem for this type of plastic. It MUST be cleaned very well,sanded,cleaned,an adhesion promoter sprayed on, primed,then painted.All primers,sealer&paints MUST have a hardener&flex additive in them.If this is not done,in a short time,it will come off when flexed or pressure washed,big mess.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Marley. How do you think it will hold up to pressure washing ? Did you paint underside ?
Didn't paint the underside - figured it would take a punishment and would not be seen unless I did a 'this side up' roll.
A bit too cold here to do a pressure washer test right now but I think it would be fine unless a guy got too anal about the nooks and crannies on a narrow spray.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts