Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
November WOTM Winner!
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out riding today probably put about 70 miles on it. After about 55 miles we took a break so the machine probably sat at least 20 min. About 5 miles down the trail temp light comes on, wasn't running it that hard. Pulled over let it cool took some water bottles and tried to clean the radiator some, wasn't even that bad. We rode about 6 or 7 more miles to a place where we planned to stop and machine again sat about 15 but light didn't come on this time. Get going again about 6 or 7 miles light comes back on again! Stop let it cool again made about 4 more miles to a place where I could park and left the machine there and went and got the truck and trailer I'm sick of it!

Last time I was out it did the same thing and the radiator had a good bit mud in it, so I made those mud deflectors and now that's not the problem. I thought the deflectors could be cutting air back but kinda ruled that out because I put a bunch of miles on it earlier in the day with no problems.

At this point I think it's going back to the dealership for him to figure I'm getting sick of it. I love the machine and it rides great but I like to go more than about 7 miles in one stretch.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Yeah, has to be something wrong. Have my deflectors on and road all day yesterday in 100+ heat at Carolina Adventure world. Didn't do the mud bogs though but did trail ride in super dusty conditions all day and most of the night. Granted most was slow going following our 6 y/o on her raptor 80. The fan does kick on a lot though.

Was the fan on and it still overheated?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Was out riding today probably put about 70 miles on it. After about 55 miles we took a break so the machine probably sat at least 20 min. About 5 miles down the trail temp light comes on, wasn't running it that hard. Pulled over let it cool took some water bottles and tried to clean the radiator some, wasn't even that bad. We rode about 6 or 7 more miles to a place where we planned to stop and machine again sat about 15 but light didn't come on this time. Get going again about 6 or 7 miles light comes back on again! Stop let it cool again made about 4 more miles to a place where I could park and left the machine there and went and got the truck and trailer I'm sick of it!

Last time I was out it did the same thing and the radiator had a good bit mud in it, so I made those mud deflectors and now that's not the problem. I thought the deflectors could be cutting air back but kinda ruled that out because I put a bunch of miles on it earlier in the day with no problems.

At this point I think it's going back to the dealership for him to figure I'm getting sick of it. I love the machine and it rides great but I like to go more than about 7 miles in one stretch.

You have to really clean the radiator.... Really , really good.. I used to take a hose and flush the grizzly radiator for 2-3 minutes including spraying at angles to get the sides that you can't reach when spraying through the grill, eventually that water running off would be clear. The fins are so thin and run all the way through the radiator, it can look clean and still have mud from a few rides ago.. Again if the water doesn't run out completely clear, its not clean.

Next idea is air pocket in the system, the radiator hoses runs from the front to the rear, so I think an air pocket is possible.

I'd ask the dealer to bleed the system, and if they are to far out of the way, I'd call and ask how. I think the combo of a good cleaning, adding fluid and bleeding the system will have you trouble free.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You could try flushing the system for the summer and just put in water and Redline's WaterWetter. I've used that with great results for track bikes and my track cars.
it allows a more efficient transfer of heat from the engine to the coolant.

Good luck.

·
November WOTM Winner!
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm not sure what's going on. Last time I rode it I spent probably 15 min cleaning out the radiator with a hose. When the fan is running you can stick your hand down there and it moves a good amount of air through it so I can't imagine that't the problem. Here is a pic of what it looked like last time I had to stop because the temp light came on again. It's odd the light comes on and the fan is running, let it sit a couple min start it to circulate coolant light goes off. Turn it off wait a couple minutes start it again, do that a few times and it cools down enough that the fan doesn't even run.

It was only 70 degrees here yesterday so with that there's no way this thing will run like this when it actually gets hot this summer.

So to be honest I can't even say with 100% confidence that its actually overheating but I know I cant run it with the light on. Thanks for the suggestions guys and normally I would do that stuff but at this point its a new machine that under warranty so I feel I shouldn't have to be doing those things.

To add insult to injury after I got sick of it overheating I had to ride back with my buddy in his rzr.

IMG_20150620_152716053.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Did the machine actually FEEL like it was overheating? Also, listening to the motor with it off and a quiet environment you can actually hear the coolant boiling if it has been overheating. Your problem sounds like it could be a few things...as mentioned an air lock is one possibility. The owners manual has directions on how to bleed the system. Another possibility is the thermostat is defective, and not circulating the coolant to the radiator. The last option, and its a long shot, is a bad temp sensor or wiring connection to or from the temp sensor. I found a frightening situation while changing the engine oil last night on my wolverine. There was an access hole in the skid plate near the drain hole for the engine oil, and it had a "twig" hanging part way out of it, with a clump of mud/leaves. I went to pull it out and found it wasn't a twig...it was a wire. After taking out the center console I managed to reach down between the drive shaft and coolant hose and grab the bundle of wires and pull them up out of the way. I don't know what wires they were, because I couldn't hardly even see them, only feel them, but I do know that if I didn't move them up and away from the skid plate I would have sheared that wire the next time I ride. That would suck immensely, since I am leaving for Hatfield in 3 days lol. My point here, is that you may have a damaged wire, or defective sensor, which could explain the intermittent nature of the issue. Hopefully the dealer can get it figured out for you. Let us know what they find.

·
November WOTM Winner!
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The first time I overheated it a few weeks back I could hear the coolant boiling. That time I figure the radiator was too plugged up. This time I couldn't hear anything.

I talked to the dealer he seems to think its a thermostat problem (only speculation). Unfortunately I'm working out of town all week and wont get it in til the weekend.

I'll let you guys know what we find

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not sure if the wolverine uses the same thermostat as the rhino or not but I worked at Yamaha dealership for a long time and every time you overheated the rhinos the thermostat would get stuck open and you would either have to replace it or take it off and pop it back shut or it would continue to overheat.

·
November WOTM Winner!
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah what he said is that he saw on other models is that the thermostat actually gets kinda cocked ( I'm assuming like half open) and won't let coolant flow properly. So I'll have to see if that's the problem here

·
Registered
347 Posts
Glad to hear it got figured out, I've never seen that problem before now. Thanks for the update!

·
Registered
395 Posts
So glad you got it figured out and its not a trait of these machines. (For your sake AND ours :) )Half the reason I got the Yamaha and sold the Mav is that the Mav LOVED to overheat. That thing ran so hot to begin with too.

·
November WOTM Winner!
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So glad you got it figured out and its not a trait of these machines. (For your sake AND ours :) )Half the reason I got the Yamaha and sold the Mav is that the Mav LOVED to overheat. That thing ran so hot to begin with too.
I hope it isn't a trait. I've only had it out for 4 really serious rides so far and had overheating problems with it on 2 of them. But I do have to say that I stuck with Yamaha because my last 2 machines were pretty much trouble free. (At least nothing that wasn't self inflicted)

·
Registered
347 Posts
We rode some Wolverines at a demo ride last week and it was probably the muddiest I've ever got, I beat the shit out of the Wolverine and it didn't turn off for about 3 hours with rider after rider, the radiator was covered and it never once overheated, so I think we all should be pretty good unless your doing some very serious mud riding or sinking these things in pure slop.

·
November WOTM Winner!
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well had mine out again today and more of the same. After about 60 miles of riding in a 4 hour period temp light started coming on. Park, let it cool for about 15 minutes, start up go again I could make it about 4 miles before the light came on. A little further if you kept it under 25. I know it isn't a mud problem because its so dry on the trails you couldn't find mud to get stuck in if you wanted to.

I'm getting really sick of this thing it doesn't sound like anyone else is having problems but I can tell you mine isn't worth a crap. It'll be back at the dealership for them when they open Monday morning. Starting to wish I hadn't bought one.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Was the thermostat replaced or did they just free it up and put it back in? Thought they would have to order one and wait for it to arrive.

I road 80 miles yesterday in tons of mud. It was so thick on the Wolverine we had to wash the lights off for the night ride because zero light was showing through. Whole thing was coated in about an inch of sticky mud. Man, I should have taken a picture when I woke up this morning. That thing looked like it was just dragged through a swamp upside down. Put it through some serious paces and never a hiccup. Can't be systemic with all of them. This morning I was cleaning it and the rad was full of mud. Flushed it out from both sides, bottom, and top. Opened the hood up to get the top and middle really good. After 3 hours with the pressure washer it's looking like a wolverine again. Few more battle scars though.

Towed a 3 week old RZR yesterday. You are sounding just like that guy. He was really PO'd that his new machine was broke. Looked it over and noticed the CDI box and a bunch of electrical connection right in front of the drivers rear wheel. Of course it was coated in mud and the nut for the ground was barely on. Who in the world thought that would be a good place for electrical connections. Geez.. Also the bus under the hood is completely open to the front wheels and radiator. It's a wonder how those keep working. But in short, it could be something simple that's being over looked. I tightened the ground wires and it fired right up and we road the rest of the day together.

Just need to get the dealer to fix it. These are so new not many dealer mech's really are that familiar with these motors yet too.

Give us some more info. Did you open the rad and watch the flow? Open it cold, start it and let it warm up, see if you are getting a good flow after the thermostat opens. Should see it rushing through. If you see lots of bubbles, that could even be a blown headgasket. Overheating is pretty bad usually, I know with cars you can warp the head and cause it to blow the headgasket.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hopefully the dealer will figure it out for you. I have not had a problem with this on my wolverine as of now.

·
Registered
211 Posts
That really sucks and is disappointing to hear. I know your thermostat was sticking, but did you already try replacing it yet?
Hope you get it figured out.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts