Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Wow that is high. How does it handle in fast curves?

Reactions: Prairie Mudder

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lookin very good!!!
And yes those snorkles look sweet.... some detail would be cool!!!!
The snorkels where definitely a long task. Due to the crappy piping used on the air box we ended up capping it off and sealing it with silicone and cutting a hole in the side to route the two inch pvc from. Belt exhaust and intake was very easy, chopped the current fitting that is on it and adapted it to the two inch pvc. Cut back of bed out for stacks to route through and ran vent lines. Ain't got to test it deep yet but after filling belt box with water and covering air intake it seems to be leak free. Planning a ride to tower trax soon to test it! And it rides great with the lift you can't even tell its on there except for the 17 inches of ground clearance!

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Can't see images for some reason

·
Registered
395 Posts
Looks really nice. I spend a lot of time in the mud in mine. From the looks of the stock design, the air intake it about waist high when you are sitting in the machine. Are you in mud that high and still able to keep moving?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
The snorkels look sweet, but 2" seem a bit on the small side to me. I would be worried about the belt temps. What climate do you ride in? You don't have a location listed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The snorkels look sweet, but 2" seem a bit on the small side to me. I would be worried about the belt temps. What climate do you ride in? You don't have a location listed.
Have not been in mud that deep but it pushes through creek beds without a problem, gonna test the mud depth soon.
And 2" is more then enough for the belt box and I live in south Louisiana, everyone I ride with runs 2" on their bikes and never had a problem

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
we ride all mud and creeks here so im gonna have to snorkel at some point
It ain't to bad to snorkel just plan on setting an entire day aside for the task, going ahead and cutting the hole in your air box instead of trying to go through original fitting will save you alota time and makes it easier to access airbox. And like I said you won't have any problems going 2"

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Have not been in mud that deep but it pushes through creek beds without a problem, gonna test the mud depth soon.
And 2" is more then enough for the belt box and I live in south Louisiana, everyone I ride with runs 2" on their bikes and never had a problem
Wow. I am genuinely surprised. You are cutting the stock size down by 52%, and on top of that further reducing volumetric flow by increasing the length of the supply and exhaust runs, which decreases heat dissipation. This is not a safe condition for that belt, and it will reduce the life. Will it blow up tomorrow? Nope, but it will definitely decrease the life of it. Are the "bikes" you refer to atv's or utv's? I cannot imagine anyone in Louisiana heat wanting to run a SxS with a choked off air supply like that. This isn't to mention the reduced supply to your airbox for the engine. By extending the length and keeping it at 2" your are causing restriction there too. I have seen many utility atv's running 2", which is about border line but usually not as bad because the pipes are much shorter, but usually guys run 3" on utv's around here, and we aren't even in a hot climate. There is another snorkel thread in here, that guy used 3" as well, and two smaller lines for his airbox. I'm not trying to knock what you did, it's your ride, but don't go telling other members "you will be fine with 2" pipe", because that is not true.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm curious about the stock locations. How high are they? I know the intake for the motor is about half way up the machine. Unless you are submerging the thing completely, are the stock locations not high enough? Not criticizing what the OP did as I think it looks like he did a good job but is this necessary? In swamping the motor/belt housing an issue unless you are visiting Spongebob Squarepants on bikini bottom?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm curious about the stock locations. How high are they? I know the intake for the motor is about half way up the machine. Unless you are submerging the thing completely, are the stock locations not high enough? Not criticizing what the OP did as I think it looks like he did a good job but is this necessary? In swamping the motor/belt housing an issue unless you are visiting Spongebob Squarepants on bikini bottom?
By bikes I am talking maverick 1000's, razor 800's to 1000's Rangers, vikings, you name it they are running 2" pipes and not one person has had a problem with it over YEARS of riding the same bikes with the same 2" setup. So I would suggest not knocking what someone has done that you ain't even done yourself. I did it, it works. If you want to talk crap about it go run 3" on yours just to be safe I'm not making a kit and trying to sell it alls I did was snorkel mine and people asked how I did it. If you don't like that don't read the post.

And Wolfe with stock intakes rule of thumb is if your butts gettin wet don't go no deeper. And haha we got some holes where we ride that will take you to sponge bob and with alcohol involved I like to be safe and make sure if my bike can't breath I can't breath.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
By bikes I am talking maverick 1000's, razor 800's to 1000's Rangers, vikings, you name it they are running 2" pipes and not one person has had a problem with it over YEARS of riding the same bikes with the same 2" setup. So I would suggest not knocking what someone has done that you ain't even done yourself. I did it, it works. If you want to talk crap about it go run 3" on yours just to be safe I'm not making a kit and trying to sell it alls I did was snorkel mine and people asked how I did it. If you don't like that don't read the post.

And Wolfe with stock intakes rule of thumb is if your butts gettin wet don't go no deeper. And haha we got some holes where we ride that will take you to sponge bob and with alcohol involved I like to be safe and make sure if my bike can't breath I can't breath.
Excuse me, sir, for offending you. However, your statements are inaccurate. I specifically said, "I'm not trying to knock what you did, it's your ride...". You also indicate that I "ain't" done it myself. How is it that you know I have never snorkelled a machine exactly>? As far as I am aware, there is no "crap" coming out of my mouth. Lastly, "If you don't like it..." is not the purpose of a public forum. The idea is to convey accurate information in the spirit of helping others. The key word here is accurate. I did nothing more than point out your design error, and ask you not to steer others who don't know any better in the wrong direction. If by doing this, I have struck a nerve, then I apologize. As I said, the belt will not blow up tomorrow, but you WILL shorten the life of it, that is a fact. I do my best to post clear, concise, and accurate information, as I have learned a great deal over the many years on forums from others who have done the same. I realize not everyone is as anal-retentive as I am, but that doesn't make it OK to post misinformation. Again, my apologies for upsetting you, please do not take it personally.

·
Registered
575 Posts
WOW your running the same setup I am. I'm about to order the same lift. What part of Louisiana are you from. I ride tower trax sometimes too

·
Registered
395 Posts

I explicitly stated that I was not criticizing and that it looked like you did a good job. I have been in water below where the stock intake was and the machine was so deep that you couldn't drive it. Just trying to figure out what I am missing. Seems like the wolverine will be undrivable before the water even gets close to the stock intake.

Bikes also have 2 wheels :). It's the nature of the word :)

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Wolfie, it all depends on the bottom of what you are driving through. It could be 5 ft of water over a rock bed. If you had snorkels that high, you could drive through it. As far as mud, I've been in deep mud with water on top pulling hard and have to stop before it got to deep and back out. I've also gone through a creek that was almost up to the console but was plowing through. Had me worried there that it would get swamped but didn't somehow. Must have been the forward momentum and not in long enough for water to come all the way up under there.

It's been flooding pretty bad here lately, talk about no idea how deep a mud hole may be. I could drive down a road by my house that was covered in 6 ft of water. LOL No way I would try it even with snorkels since it was flowing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts