Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
V did you do slow speed full soft also? I didn't care for the roll, but I do a mix of fast riding also.
I think rear rebound needs a little resistance to stop the bucking.
Hope the 2s work out for you, 2 guys in our group cus'm. 1 is X3 4-seater and other is pioneer 1k.
I don't have any experience with them myself.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Mounted bh2.0's today, and removed the rear sway bar. Using a Jack, losing the rear sway gained about 4.5 inches of front tire lift before the rears come off the ground. Suspension set to full soft, about 12 lbs in tires, it's much better. Rides better, and obviously flexes better. BUT, still not as good as the original wolverine. Like I said, the quiet is nice, but I really wish I didn't sell my original. If they come out with something this fall, there will be definitely be a for sale sign. I wish they'd spend more time sending surveys with questions that are relevant, rather than asking if I want an accessory catalogue in print or PDF format. Get out and test these things. Come on Yamaha.
It really is mind boggling to many of us that after addressing many complaints of the gen 1 for the better they decided to go backwards in the suspension dept. for the sake of an inch narrower machine. Perhaps that 60” thing is a big deal in some parts of the world and helped sales but out here the restriction is 50” so going wider for the sake of more travel would have sold more machines. I don’t think I’ve ever read a thread where someone wanted to get narrower. There is always discussion about more ground clearance and and wider more stable stance and how can I improve the ride. People are willing to compromise on premature wear of components and a terrible scrub radius through 4-3 offset wheels and spacers to mod it into something suitable for them and they are justifiable decisions. I did a lot of modding on the gen 1 to make it suitable in different ways as well. Wouldn’t it be nice to not have to compromise!? Seems like no matter what they give us we have to do serious modding of some sort to make us happy. I don’t understand why we can’t seem to get a quality machine in the marketplace that hauls a bit of gear for the expedition style enthusiast but still has ample width for stability and wheel travel, ample clearance, decent tire size with enough engine to turn the larger tire. We’ve got utility, and we’ve got sport but the attempt at sport/utility needs to go a lot further in the sport direction! Artic Cat took a good step in that direction with the Havoc X but with there reputation, not many people are going to give it a chance. I doubt sales have been outstanding on that machine but I don’t think it’s the design. It’s the comfort and quality. If I new it was reliable and comfortable I would have stepped up to there Havoc X Backcountry Edition!

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,794 Posts
@ Budro

"If I new it was reliable and comfortable I would have stepped up to there Havoc X Backcountry Edition!"

That pretty much sums it up in selecting a machine and very important aspects to have. Current models seem to have noteworthy break down, leave you stranded engineering/manufacturing issues. That does not instill confidence in forking out a ton of money to ride with great reservations you'll make it back.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I'm glad I never owned or rode in a Gen 1, LOL.

I went from a Polaris Ranger 570 Midsize to the X2 and I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
226 Posts
AK, do you have the sway bars connected ?
I finally completely removed both the front and rear sway bars. We tend to ride relatively slow through rutty and rough terrain so I knew that I would never want them attached. I should play with the shock settings some more...

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
60" is pretty much max were I ride if you like to driver spirited. Anything over that starts catching trees unless you are very talented. But who knows, maybe if the Wolvie platform gets more popular, there will be some mid or long travel suspension options come out.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm just recalling from memory, but the Gen1 is appox 2" longer, 1-1/2" wider with 1" more travel correct ?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm just recalling from memory, but the Gen1 is appox 2" longer, 1-1/2" wider with 1" more travel correct ?
No on the length and hard to say on the other stuff. Yahama's gen 1 specs where misleading and there are now two differant x2 styles. X2 is longer for both years, 1.4 to 2.4 inches. Then gen 1 was wider than then stated by at least 2 inches. The 19 is narrow then the Gen 1 and the 20 is wider on paper, not sure how close Yamaha is on that. Suspension was 1 inch up front 2 out back. But for some reason the gen 1 worked better than the specs would lead you to believe.

·
Registered
Rmax2
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
V did you do slow speed full soft also? I didn't care for the roll, but I do a mix of fast riding also.
I think rear rebound needs a little resistance to stop the bucking.
Hope the 2s work out for you, 2 guys in our group cus'm. 1 is X3 4-seater and other is pioneer 1k.
I don't have any experience with them myself.
All the shock settings I backed off to soft. I haven't adjusted anything for a couple rides, I will experiment when I get a feel for it. On normal trails is pretty nice now. Doesn't ride like an f350 anymore.

·
Registered
2020WolverineX2Rspec,KolpinWindshield28”Sunf,Stereo,Heater,Plow,ManyLED’s,ThuleRacks,3500#winch
32 Posts
I have had my X2 for about 8 months. I put about 6200 miles on it this summer and I had a blast! 2 years ago I was in a motor vehicle accident and was ejected from the vehicle. I broke my back and had to have a level 4 fusion in my back. When I purchased My X2 suspension was a very important factor. My X2 has 4 KYB's and I zeroed out my clickers and went 7 clicks to the right. I did this to all of them upper and lower. I also unhooked both sway bars front and back and left the rebound where it was. This was a transformation of my suspension.
I have since hooked the front sway bar back up it handles better.
I did a test before I unhooked my sway bars. Start with the front left tire , jack it up until another tire slightly comes off the ground just enough so the tire will turn. In my case it was the passenger rear that left the ground first . Measure the distance between the left front tire and the ground. If i remember correctly it was like 8 inches. then remove the sway bar links and repeat the process. The distance between the front left tire and the ground will almost double before the passenger rear tire leaves the ground. It was nearly 15 inches.
If you want a superior ride you must unhook your sway bars it really works.
I just want to add that the Sunrise trail in Ellsworth Maine that goes to Calais has reopened for the season its a 100 mile rail trail. This is a first since Ive been riding. We all know how mean them snowmobilers can be when you rut up their trails. But due to global warming and the lack of snow on the immediate coast the trail has reopened. I would not try riding any other trails in maine as the snomobilers have dibs on them this time of year.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts