Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Rmax2
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else come from an original wolverine to the X2? I had a 16 rspec for the last 3500 or so miles. Awesome machine. Picked up an x2 xtr last month and am finally getting some seat time with it. So far, I have to say I feel like I seriously downgraded in the suspension department (and other departments). Trails with washouts that I wouldn't think twice about on the OG wolverine, have me lifting tires on the X2. Ripped the front sway bar off, may have improved but still nowhere near what I'm used to. About to rip the rear off next. My OG wolverine had the rear sway bar and I never thought once about removing it. Am I losing it? There has to be some significant down/up travel differences. I guess I need to grab a Jack and a tape measure to compare the original and x2.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Your not losing it. I drove the X2 when they were first released and got to follow a demo ride group in my Gen 1. Riding the same trails in for a few miles in my Gen 1, an X2 and X4 all back to back really showed the strong points of the Gen 1. I knew right away there wasn't a second Wolverine my future. In my mind the only improvement was the engine noise.

·
Registered
Rmax2
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your not losing it. I drove the X2 when they were first released and got to follow a demo ride group in my Gen 1. Riding the same trails in for a few miles in my Gen 1, an X2 and X4 all back to back really showed the strong points of the Gen 1. I knew right away there wasn't a second Wolverine my future. In my mind the only improvement was the engine noise.
Exactly what I'm thinking right now. The quiet is nice. Rest sucks. Wish I had done more research.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Exactly what I'm thinking right now. The quiet is nice. Rest sucks. Wish I had done more research.
We kinda kicked this around back when they came out. Since most of us weren’t sold on the gen 1 for its big HP numbers but we’re sold on it for it’s best in class suspension at the time, the vast majority decided to keep what they had.

There’s got to be at least 4 guys on here that traded up and while they don’t feel completely disappointed and have said all in all they like the x2 better, they all seem to say they miss the extra travel and leg room.

I’m sorry to hear about your disappointment but every time I read one of these posts I’m glad I held on to mine!

There have been many posts complaining about the ride on x2 x4 and that wasn’t a big discussion on the early model.
I’d try to read through the threads about sway bar removal and adjusting the KYBs. Most guys have discovered huge improvements!

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,795 Posts
Maybe they got the SE model with FOX shock as I have on my Gen 1. My son commented two weeks ago driving my how we were catching up to a lot of SxS on our trailer to trail north of us. Its a bit rough in place and wash board stretches as well. It seem or appears the rider the other must be finding it too much to go faster. One was a CMOTO Sport we passed twice as we took a break.

I heard about the suspension last year being hard on the stock X2, I don't remember if the X4 is the same either. I am very happy I got the SE build.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Veedo do you have KYB shocks?

Edit: Never mind, I see the XTR now

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Remove the rear sway bar, it does more for stability than the front and will make the most difference.
Spend time adjusting and tweaking the shocks. Once you get it dialed in, you won't notice the less travel.
I drove my buddies General, which has more travel than the X2 and I honestly thought mine rode better.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Skelly post up the link to your KYB shock adjustment thoughts!

Reactions: SKELLEY521

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Another buddy had a General also which he sold for a Pioneer as he needed the larger bed space said his biggest complaint with the General was the shocks.
He grew up with adjustable shocks and wanted to be able to fine tune them instead of the 3 position clicker.
I thought he was nuts as I was wrestling with learning how the KYB's adjustments affected the ride at the time.
Now that I'm finally in the small tweaking stages, I totally get what he was talking about.

I was against removing the sway bar at first, but once I got the shocks dialed in for my riding conditions, there's no going back.

Reactions: Budro2

·
Registered
Rmax2
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It's not so much a suspension dialing issue, I can get around the adjustments there. It's an articulation issue. Tires aren't on the ground when going through off camber stuff. I'm no expert, but it seems like there isn't enough down travel up front to keep the tires on the ground. I realize the X2 has a little less travel than the OG, but I'm puckering and near flopping over on the X2 where I wasn't flinching on the OG.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
It's not so much a suspension dialing issue, I can get around the adjustments there. It's an articulation issue. Tires aren't on the ground when going through off camber stuff. I'm no expert, but it seems like there isn't enough down travel up front to keep the tires on the ground. I realize the X2 has a little less travel than the OG, but I'm puckering and near flopping over on the X2 where I wasn't on the OG.
Im pretty sure after removal of the rear sway bar your going to be much happier with articulation.

The shock adjustment ideas are really more related to dealing with body roll as a result of removing the rear sway bar.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
If rebound is to slow, it won't let the arm come down either. I have my front rebound full soft and I have the rear a little harder just to get rid of any higher speed bounce/bucking.

Reactions: 1slo_CR

·
Registered
772 Posts
Sounds good just wondering if you had yours connected or not with your current settings. I've been playing around with my settings with sway bars on.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Yeah off.
I was totally against it at first as I ride with RZR pros & Honda Talons mostly and after a technical trail, they like to hit the high speed stuff and air it out.
I'm usually 6-8 buggy lengths back and thought that if I removed them that I would have to take the turns slower or worry about tipping.

Harding the slow speed compression with the bars off made a big difference in excessive body roll. There is more initial sway movement, say from 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock, with them off but I'm getting use to it real quick.
I rip it just as hard now as I did with them on and the ride is really better IMHO.
As someone said, why not unbolt them and try. If you don't like it, bolt them back up. It doesn't take but a few minutes per link.
I would recommend the slow speed adjust full hard to start off with. If you don't like that after a good test ride, I would bolt them back up.
I'm glad I tried it and even played with the settings as I'm more than happy with the results.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Harding the slow speed compression with the bars off made a big difference in excessive body roll. There is more initial sway movement, say from 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock, with them off but I'm getting use to it real quick.
I experienced the same after following your lead on the slow speed compression. Good explanation of the initial body roll. It’s unsettling on hills, then is ok. But on every turn, it’s there! Takes time to become the new normal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We purchased ours in the winter. With the groomed trails here I was drifting corners and loving it.

Then came spring ruts and rough trails and I was dissapointed with the suspension. Ran into a guy named Evan with a 2019 x2. One drive in his rig made my mind up do go same way. Disconnected sway bars went full soft suspension aired down tires slightly. Love the ride now!

Now thinking of 28x10x12 blackwater evo or BH2.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The Gen1 rode soooo much better than my X2 even with the EIBACH springs on the X2. What a bummer and WTH Yamaha! I still prefer the X2 over the Gen1 for many other reasons, but the suspension is a big disapointment.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
AK, do you have the sway bars connected ?

·
Registered
Rmax2
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mounted bh2.0's today, and removed the rear sway bar. Using a Jack, losing the rear sway gained about 4.5 inches of front tire lift before the rears come off the ground. Suspension set to full soft, about 12 lbs in tires, it's much better. Rides better, and obviously flexes better. BUT, still not as good as the original wolverine. Like I said, the quiet is nice, but I really wish I didn't sell my original. If they come out with something this fall, there will be definitely be a for sale sign. I wish they'd spend more time sending surveys with questions that are relevant, rather than asking if I want an accessory catalogue in print or PDF format. Get out and test these things. Come on Yamaha.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts