Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally bit the bullet and ordered a set of camso tracks for my X4 . Been on the fence about them for years ... wanted a set back when I had my rhino too .
My biggest concern was how well they truly work in deep deep snow .. and being out alone and getting stuck or breaking something.
Well, they seem to have really worked the bugs out if these tracks by now, and from what I’ve read and seen, they are pretty trouble free as long as you don’t do anything stupid .
Looking for tips and tricks from fellow tracks guys . Do’s and don’ts .. any tools I should carry specific to the tracks that could save the day ?
I don’t have a cab or heater.. just a front and rear windshield . Will see how that goes . I don’t want a full cab, but if the flying snow is unbearable, I may have to look at cab options . But I’m also an ex snowmobiler , so I have all the warm and dry gear .. so I may just suck it up without the cab .
Looking forward to getting them . Hoping they show up before Christmas.
All info and tips welcome . Thanks ! And merry Christmas .

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,292 Posts
Very nice! Post some pics when you get them on.

·
Registered
326 Posts
You will love them! Thin ice with water seems to be the only thing to stay away from. I now carry a couple of 2x8 long enough to block up the track in the water and ice situation. It seems that there is more traction going slow rather than blasting through deep uphill sections. ??

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,534 Posts
I have only seen a few setups but never on a trail. Even in winter when I used to snowmobile on a packed trail driven over by a few sleds the wheels do just fine. Just have to keep out of the soft stuff as it bogs and pulls to the side that its in loading the engine more. Gas mpg goes down. I can't image cranking those tracks would give you much speed not range on a tank of gas. You're much likely to where you want and not be stuck. Deep drifts could be a problem if the tracks spin, they dig you in (happened too many times on my sled and many hours digging it out by hand, sleds get stuck!!).
as for a heater just get a heated seat/back pad and strap it on. I am going to get one for mine. Just haven't made a selection yet.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
take a shovel with you at all times. you will need it when you get stuck. they do go good and will go threw allot of snow. only time i have been stuck with my 2008 grizzly and tracks was in the middle of the lake with about 6" water 12" slush and 2' snow on top. i was pulling a flop over shanty. had to unhook and shovel then make a couple passes by the flop shack and rehook and back the way i came in we went. was also stuck two more time pulling a trail drag and again unhooked shoveled and a couple passes by the drag and rehook and back the way we came again. never got stuck when i wasn't pulling anything. and never had a tree close enough to winch to. also make sure you take the tool for adjusting the track. i derailed one track trying to squeeze by some rocks. you will need it to get your track back on the rails. 19mm socket is what you will need if you are getting the camso utv 4s1 tracks. have not had any big snow yet here to see how the utv tracks i have now do in the deep stuff. but the grizzly did really good.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips . 19mm socket . Check ! I will add one to my tool set . I think the tracks will serve me well for what I want to do .
I have owned mountain sleds and know what they can do in the steep and deep . Been there, done that.
I now just want a way to get out in the winter and cruise around and enjoy the Bush . Take the kids out .. do a little predator hunting etc .
I will post back when I get them and get a chance to try them out . Dealer says they should be here by Friday .

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2021 xt r4 and am considering the tracks for it. I sold off my snowmobiles last year but would like to travel the lake trails by me to get to the resorts by my sxs. Interested in what is needed to remove the tracks when the season is over. Do I need to remove the extra hardware as well as the track?

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,534 Posts
I have a 2021 xt r4 and am considering the tracks for it. I sold off my snowmobiles last year but would like to travel the lake trails by me to get to the resorts by my sxs. Interested in what is needed to remove the tracks when the season is over. Do I need to remove the extra hardware as well as the track?
You'd better be very careful. Note you're likely 2.5 times heavier than the snowmobile and moving a whole lot slower. I used to sled and when going at a good clip you can safely go over thinish ice you wouldn't want to stop on. That wouldn't be so on a SxS and the weight is going to drop right through any weak areas. Well traveled paths build thicker ice while snow covered ice remains thin from the insulation. So many factors and you don't have the torque and speed of a good sled to tear out of a bad watery/slush hole.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts