Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 X2 RSPEC 850
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of a second opinion on using one type of grease (for zerks, not spray lube) across a few different machines. The RSPEC asks for a lithium soap grease on the rear knuckles and steering joints. The Kubota BX and it's mid mount mower ask for a SAE Multipurpose Grease NLGI-2 or NLGI-1 (GC-LB). Since all I've ever had to grease is the Kubota up to now, I have an almost empty tube of the SAE Multipurpose grease in my gun. Since the RSPEC has arrived, I'd like to buy one grease that will satisfy both requirements. Locally, I have two options; Traveller MC 2495XRT and Harvest King 68510095. Both are lithium based/complex and NLGI-2. Will either one work for both machines? Is it really as simple as combining what is asked for and finding it in one product?

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Neither the rear knuckles, or steering joints, or drive shaft zerks would be considered as high pressure or high rpm applications. They are about as non-technical a simple application requiring grease as there can be, mechanically. I know I will probably get some backlash from this comment - you could probably use something as simple as Vaseline as long as you did it frequently enough and would be ok. I'm not saying to use Vaseline, but my point is that the type of grease you use is not near as important as doing it regularly as frequently. The more mud and water ridden in, the more frequently it should be greased. My choice for these applications is to use a waterproof trailer wheel bearing grease, this will prevent wash out for a longer period of time. The upper rear swing arms don't wear nearly as quickly from lack of grease as the lower rear swing arm's bushings and pins will without adequate grease.

·
Registered
294 Posts
X2 on the waterproof ( preferably synthetic) wheel bearing grease...that’s what I use also

Reactions: therebel19

·
Registered
2020 X2 XT-R 850
222 Posts
This is what I use for darn near everything.

Reactions: Doc T

·
Registered
2021 X2 RSPEC 850
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A little more research on grease compatibility and here's what I've decided will be my one tube solution based on my riding environment. It's a #2 synthetic blend with a 1.4 washout rating, GC-LB and compatible with the calcium based grease I've been using on my mower deck. Locknlube will arrive next week.

As PapaSkeeta alluded to, the best grease in the world isn't if you don't use it. Thanks.

Reactions: PapaSkeeta

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
If it works for you, ok.
I'm a lube nut and prefer my lubes to meet specific requirements for it's application.

Most of my lubes seem to be NLGI # 2 and a couple are # 1's as far as consistency goes, not to mention additives for specific uses.
I couldn't imagine limiting myself to 1 or 2 greases personally, but to each their own. :)

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,795 Posts
I don't see any of them greases here.

On another note. Has there been a replacement for the discontinued Ultramafic Yamaha grease for CVT rollers etc. It has been a long time and nothing has been posted. I am around 6000km since I had it dealer service. They said it was still in excellent condition. I may be having it all service again at 15,000km along with new rollers as was suggested would be needed.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
I just serviced the boys 450 Kodiak with Tinkseal today.
I did do a quick search a few days ago for Ultramatic grease just out of curiosity and couldn't find it online.

Reactions: Tripplec

·
Registered
58 Posts
My grease for everything 1618840088306.png

1 - 9 of 9 Posts