Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand from reading the "Shock Adjustment" thread that I should adjust the low speed compression damping to a softer setting in order to smooth out the ride in the rocks. I am generally a relaxed trail rider and do not do much barnstorming. On my last ride we encountered some pretty rocky places that used to bounce me around a lot, with a solid rear axle Honda Rancher ATV. I felt like the ride should have been much smoother with a fully independent suspension, but we still got bounced around quite a bit. My question is: Will I notice much difference with just one click softer or should I go with two? I admit that I am not sure how many clicks go from full soft to full hard, but I seem to remember the salesman saying that they come from the factory set at the midpoint.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Just got through changing all of mine, can't tell you how much I helped or changed the ride yet. As far as the settings, each shock has 4 adjustment points. (1) Spring's tension called preload; (2) Rebound dampening - slotted screw at bottom of each shock; (3) Fast Compression dampening - hex nut at top of each shock; (4) Slow Compression Dampening - slotted screw in center of Hex Nut/Fast Compression dampening adjuster.

All the standard factory settings and the min. and max. settings are in the Owner's Manual on pages 4-22 thru 4-32. Al of my settings were within 1 click of what the stock factory settings are stated as. To measure the spring preload be sure to jack the tire of the ground - manual doesn't tell you to do that, it is measured in a free state with no weight on it.

On my Front I went to: Spring Preload - left at stock; Rebound Dampening changed to 20 clicks out; Fast Compression Dampening changed to 1 1/2 turns out; Slow Compression Dampening changed to 15 clicks out.

On my Rear I went to: Spring Preload - left at stock; Rebound Dampening changed to 20 clicks out; Fast Compression Dampening change to 1 1/2 turns out; Slow Compression Dampening changed to 15 clicks out.

Sounds like our riding styles are similar. Maybe someone with more experience in this will chime in, I'm just experimenting and have no real experience with it yet. I don't think just changing things by 1 click that you would feel much difference since the min. to max. is a pretty wide scale, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW!! From your settings it sounds like one or two clicks won't really change squat. I was thinking along the lines of about 9 clicks total. I guess, if the manual doesn't tell, I will need to count the clicks in from where I am, for a baseline. Then count all the way out to determine the number of positions available. Then make a guestimation of where I need to set it for a softer ride. I will wait for some more feedback (and read the freakin manual) before I get the tools out, but thanks Papaskeeta, that is a start.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Also, if you are not doing off camber stuff much or high speed turns. You can unhook the rear sway bar. That will definitely help smooth the ride on slow rocky sections. It's very easy to unhook and tie it up and just rehook it up if you don't like the ride.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Deeyoh. I am going to try to get some honey-do's done tonight and make some shock adjustments. If I play my cards right, I should be able to take the Wolverine to Bear Creek for a few hours tomorrow. It's only a 2 hour drive so I can make it an easy day trip. I will probably adjust the shocks only, for the first test. If I find the ride is still rough I will try disconnecting the sway bar. I'm not real keen on the idea of doing it. We'll see what happens after I tweek the shocks a little.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Deeyoh, I was wondering... If I disconnect the sway bar, should I put the shock settings back to stock? Even a little harder?

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Just try it where you have it set. It'll give another 4" of articulation of the rear tires. More the better for rocky area's.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will do. I just thought of that while I was adjusting the shocks. I've been playing in the dirt for a LONG time, but I never had a dirt bike (or any machine) with an adjustable suspension, other than preload. I was racing when 8" of rear wheel travel on the back of a full bore motocross bike was a lot. LOL Anyway, thanks again for the tip. And remember... Your never too old to learn something new. :)

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Mannift, I'd be interested in knowing what settings you end up liking for your type of riding.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PapaSkeeta, I FINALLy got to take the Wolvy out and tried the new suspension settings. After reading the manual and looking at what you had set yours at, I agreed with what you have, and set mine accordingly. I went to Bear Creak atv trail at Lake Greeson AR, today and tried it out. The terrain is very tight but not very rocky, but there are, however a lot of roots and stumps to traverse. The initial hit on the bumps was less but the body movement was still a tad on the harsh side. I am hoping to take another trip in a week or two and will disconnect the sway bar to see how that works. I think Deeyoh, and others may have the right idea for slow trail riding. I'm just not into throwing a big rooster tail every time I make a corner any more, so the sway bar will probably not change much for my cornering. :) So for a mellow trail ride over rough terrain, loosing the sway bar might be the ticket. I will clean the bike, disconnect the sway bar and let you know how it feels. Even if this this as good as it gets, it is still WAY better than riding 2-up on a solid rear axle atv. I LOVE this bike.

Reactions: PapaSkeeta

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: I went to Wolf Pen Gap this past weekend and rode about 4 hours Friday, 9 hours Saturday and about 3 hours Sunday. I will be removing the sway bar. I will keep it in case I sell in a few years, but I won't be using it.

With the sway bar disconnected and the suspension adjusted, like I described in a previous post in this thread, The really rocky sections didn't feel nearly as hard edged as with the bar. There was still body sway from the rocks but it doesn't just throw you from side to side. The wife was tired and didn't want to ride Sunday morning so it was just me in the wolverine with my son following on the Honda ATV. Without the wife I was able to do some more "spirited" riding than normal, and I didn't notice any adverse handling issues over multiple types of terrain. Still in love with this machine!

·
June WOTM Winner!
98 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's what I did to disconnect it. I am just removing it completely so there will be less to clean. :cool:

·
June WOTM Winner!
98 Posts
That's what I did to disconnect it. I am just removing it completely so there will be less to clean. :cool:
Hey just something to think about what tire pressure are you running. That would be another way to take some of the jarring out?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was running factory recommended pressure front and rear with stock tires (11 pounds I think). I think the suspension is great where it is set now. I agree that lowering the tire pressure would soften the ride a little more, and would improve grip over rocky obstacles. On the other hand, it might make the tires sidewall more prone to get pinched. If I was running anything besides the stock 2.0's I would probably drop the pressure to about 8 lbs. to give it a try. When these stockers wear out, I plan to get some aluminum wheels and 8 ply tires. At that point I wouldn't hesitate to run a lower pressure. For the time being I am more than pleased with the ride.

·
June WOTM Winner!
98 Posts
I was running factory recommended pressure front and rear with stock tires (11 pounds I think). I think the suspension is great where it is set now. I agree that lowering the tire pressure would soften the ride a little more, and would improve grip over rocky obstacles. On the other hand, it might make the tires sidewall more prone to get pinched. If I was running anything besides the stock 2.0's I would probably drop the pressure to about 8 lbs. to give it a try. When these stockers wear out, I plan to get some aluminum wheels and 8 ply tires. At that point I wouldn't hesitate to run a lower pressure. For the time being I am more than pleased with the ride.
I agree, I lower my Rip-Saws to I think 6 & 8 in Moab and it really helped and that why I thought about it for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts