Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

Oil smoke, throttle lag

5K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  therebel19 
#1 ·
My 21' rmax with 1800miles has had an issue with a power lag and blowing oil smoke out of one of the vents, not the exhaust. If I floor it it lags or falls on its face and rolls or puffs oil smoke. Oil level is good and its serviced. It did this twice when I first got it and now its doing it all the time. Could it be a fouled plug, bad injector? It starts, runs and drives normal until its 3/4 or full throttle and under load, never submerged. Doesn't feel like its slipping a clutch/belt. But it loses half alot of power. Im not bringing it to the dealer just yet.

#2 · (Edited)
I am guessing it maybe well over filled with oil. Many have overfilled theirs trying to figure it out. However, yours seem to be significantly different. Check in the oily Air filter chamber at the bottom if there is oil there. Also oil filter isn't saturated with engine oil. Filter oil normally has a dye colour.

A simple start. Others with the machine likely have different idea. Nothing better them in front hands on to assess an issue.

#5 · (Edited)
Thx, Corrected above. lol

wow to the image Massive posted. If that was due to assemble on delivery or dealer released like that. It should be warranty. Right?
Clamps should be all tight and I'd say that wasn't.

#4 ·
You posted this on FB, which is your problem as there's a good chance your engine is toast.

Wood Water Automotive tire Stairs Bedrock

#6 ·
What are we looking at in the above photo?

#7 ·
Air filter housing to intake duct.

#8 ·
I had the air intake pop off the airbox on my RMAX XTR 4 this summer like the picture above. Luckily it we caught it when we were unloading it from trailer. I think it popped off during transport on a trip. The top hose clamp was loose. Put it back on and tightened it up and no issues a 1000 miles later, knock on wood. Got lucky since we rode in wet conditions that day. I would definitely check to be sure the hose clamps are tight. It just requires a longer flat head screw driver to tighten

#11 ·
Now that was hilarious!

Reactions: DirtRoadWarrior
#12 ·
Glad it was brought up anyway. Going to check mine before the next use. Checked all mine inside under the seat when I had it apart to adjust the park brake. Didn’t think or consider a band under the filter housing. We had a duster diesel in a backhoe once from a bad Wix air filter years ago so I’m ultra cognizant on keeping a good seal, often checking clamps.

#13 ·
If I'm honest, I went out there and checked all those connections, but, I did that on delivery. I always go through and check torque on everything...I don't trust their paint checkoffs. Even the marker-guy can be a lazy SOB.

#15 ·
Ws even have a thread about things to check when getting a new machine that goes over the clamps and much more. However, I think most go to Farcebook before realizing they should have come to the forums first.
Great! Its your money! double check it!

#17 ·
Here are three from a quick search but there are more out there: Lots of good info in them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.