Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The TSB instructions I saw, IIRC, said that the dealer has to tear it down and photograph the piston and cylinder wall to verify if scored and send photos to Yamaha. If scored, which is assessed as lack of filter maintenance, then they will not fix and the customer has to pay to complete. Or as my dealer said, pay them for work to that point to take it home. And my dealer said I could not bring it to them with the carrier and body panels off to save them the time and me money. So I fixed it myself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Update did a compresion test 110 at 7000 ft elevation. Did a leak down test 6 percent leak down.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
This is where the oil is going.
That is your air injection stuff that comes off the air intake silencer for putting extra combustion air into the lean burning exhaust at idle. Put a big ball bearing or marble in that hose to stop that symptom (probably). BUT the hose that comes off the top of the valve cover with a reed type valve, is the blow-by hose, and it dumps into the intake silencer upstream of the throttle body where the air injection system is taking off the supply. So if you pull off the intake hose upstream of the throttle body and look in the silencer, you will probably find that is full of oil as well. The top spec range for compression is 142 in manual IIRC. I do not know how that converts to 7000 FASL but seems low. I would guess you have blow-by of the second ring which seems to be the OEM problem IIRC. It would be worth taking a look in the spark plug hole to see how much carbon buildup you have 'helping' your pressure reading.

Reactions: klx300a6

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good read here! Does anyone have the TSB number? Bought my Gen 1 this spring and not sure what has been done. Will the dealer have records if it was done in another state?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts