Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know if this is correct
got 20hrs on mine now so im servicing this weekend. got filter from the dealer on Saturday.
pulled it off today and noticed they are different part numbers. wasn't anything I noticed there sense ive never had this one off before.
you can see the one in my hand is the one I took off. the new one is even just a little bit smaller.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Had mine serviced at the dealer. The filter they put on was smaller.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,906 Posts
Wix doesn't have an equivalent of vehicle specific filter.
If the 2MB-E3440-00 is newest then why are the old ones still used? Old stock at the dealer being used.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,906 Posts
The WIX 51358 is the compatible filter Napa 1358 also crosses over.

Oh really, I tried every combination. Number on the two filter being compared and nothing crossed over on Wixfilter site. Also the ATV doesn't have any data either at this time. I'll be checking costs of the OEM filter and Wix or other name brand.

thanks

·
Registered
739 Posts
Oh really, I tried every combination. Number on the two filter being compared and nothing crossed over on Wixfilter site. Also the ATV doesn't have any data either at this time. I'll be checking costs of the OEM filter and Wix or other name brand.

thanks
K&N-204 also crosses over. Add a C at the end for a chrome one.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,906 Posts
Napa.jpg

Ouch they charge too much here. OEM will be cheaper.

Reactions: Tracen8r

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,906 Posts
I'll see what my dealer is charging for the yamaha oil filter. Since I have warranty for a year etc I'll stick with their filter in the next change at least. No point throwing a variable in the mix initially anyway. Wix filters are cheap for any engines from my suppliers. Online is pointless since shipping is quite high so I save nothing. But its certain go to know of the alternatives. I keep these number in an oil filter topic in my Android Phone Note App. Then I know what I need when I am in the store.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,906 Posts
Maybe we need info from some of us. Which oil filter BRAND you use and for how long?

Don't get me wrong I don't mind paying for quality but the dealer filters (don't know the number yet) is around $18 I was told and that translated over $20 with taxes. Quite high for a filter IMO. My next oil change at the dealer will be OEM Yamaha as well. But I will look at quality options if better oem priced filters are hard to find. Its not like its last 6-10,000km as an automotive filter does. I saw on Rockymountain ATV TUSK filters but have no idea of they quality or landed cost to me either at this time. Wix is $14 min which is not much less than an OEM filter.

It would be nice to know what you thought and use. HiFLOW according to my dealer is available but poorer quality (fewer pleats etc) and for that I am not willing to compromise on filtration. Wix I know meets or exceed OEM filters pretty much. I'd be using Synthetic oil which is Rotella T6 so a more extended interval is easily achievable.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi Tripplec, I bought two from my dealer with 10% discount plus 6% sales tax for $22. I checked online afterwards and it seemed I did ok, but he wanted $85 for the Yamaha rear view mirror. I bought the mirror online for $34.99 shipped and they sent it Usps priority mail.
One of the tricks dealer parts department do is they bump up list pricing. I have seen them personally do 20% and when you receive your “business resale” discount you are still paying standard list price for resale.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,906 Posts
No signature.

Where you located...But thats high for an oil filter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was doing some research and finding a lot of confusion even with dealers on what filter they were selling and what oil change kit was right. Two dealers close to us and both gave me different part numbers.
We normally put Amsoil in our stuff and I ended up ordering a WIX 51358XP filter which should be one of the better ones available. It ended up being $13.02 on Amazon, which didn't seem too bad.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Here is some oil filter cross reference information I have had for years, goes back to the days with my 2007 Grizzly 700 ATV. The same oil filters that fit the Grizzly 700 also fit the 2016-2018, Gen. 1, Wolverine. Don't know if the same filter fits the X2 and X4 Wolverines, maybe someone else can verify that.

Cross Reference for Oil Filters: (same filter as used on Grizzly 700 ATV)
Yamaha (OEM factory filter that came on 2016 Wolverine) - #2MB-E3440-00, Made in Japan
Mobil - # M1-108
Bosch - # 3300
Walmart — Super Tech # ST 7317
Fram Motorcycle - # PH 6017A
Fram - Tough Guard - # PH 7317
Fram Synthetic - # XG7317
Motocraft - # FL821
STP - # S6607
AC - # PF 2057 (3.25” long)
Yamaha - # Denso Filter 115010-6370
Yamaha - # 5GH-13440-20 (Filter Dealer sold me for 1st oil change). Later Superseded by #5GH-13440-60-00.
Purolator - Motorcycle Filter # ML 16817 - 20 micron, 8 psi. By-Pass
Purolator — Pure One # PL 14612 (2.5” long) - 20 micron, 12-14 psi. By-Pass
Purolator — Pure One # PL 14610 (3.25” long)
Champion — Motorcycle Filter # PH 2867
Wix — Motorcycle Filter # 51358

Note: I used the Purolator Pure One #14610 on both my Grizzly 700 ATV and on my 2016 Wolverine up until around October 2017 (still use it on the Grizzly 700). While I was on a trip, I had about 600 miles on the Purolator Filter and just out of the blue it started leaking around the filter's gasket. I noticed it from the oil dripping down on the floor of my trailer. The filter was tight and I couldn't tighten it any more, so I just went to the local auto parts store and put on a new filter (solved the problem). I have probably used 6-7 Purolator filters on my Grizzly 700 and Wolverine combined and never had a problem until this one time. Only thing I can come up with is that maybe the gasket material got brittle from all the heat and vibration and after multiple cycles of heating up and cooling off the gasket had gotten a set in it (compressed) and when the engine cooled off sitting on the trailer over night it created a drip that was obvious the next morning on my trailer floor. I expect that the metal threaded area of the filter was bottomed out on the nut on where the oil filter screws onto the engine (inspected but no obvious signs of contact); is why I couldn't tighten it more, but it was strange that it went leak free for 600 miles and then all of a sudden started leaking. After this I changed filters I use on the Wolverine.

Years ago on the Grizzly ATVs some people complained about some aftermarket filters would not tighten due to the oil filter bottoming out on the nut on the engine where the oil filter screws on, but in all of these cases it was obvious quite quickly because as soon as you cranked the ATV after an oil change it would be leaking oil badly at the gasket. The filters that individuals were having problems with were ones that were pretty much flat across the metal face of the filter area inside the diameter of the filter's gasket. So the more concave the area is inside the gasket area, the better (threads will be lower down in the filter) and this makes me wonder if Purolator may have started making the PL 14610 where the filter's threads are closer to the end of the filter, just a 1/16" would be enough to make a difference.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
i had same oil drip / leak after several months on my Z-turn mower with aftermarket filter. It did it 2 years in a row about mid August (Were tight so I would throw on new filter & top off to finish season. I finally went back to Kawasawki Brand filters & never had another issue in last 3 years. I don't remember aftermarket brand.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,906 Posts
I'd stick to a name brand if you know its quality. EG Wix, Pure One (has a good reputation)

Filtration is key along with other spec's bur few publish theirs. I'd have to find one thats economical in Canada for it to be viable. Shipping charge eat up all the difference and more over getting and OEM or direct equivalent like Wix.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Here is some oil filter cross reference information I have had for years, goes back to the days with my 2007 Grizzly 700 ATV. The same oil filters that fit the Grizzly 700 also fit the 2016-2018, Gen. 1, Wolverine. Don't know if the same filter fits the X2 and X4 Wolverines, maybe someone else can verify that.

Cross Reference for Oil Filters: (same filter as used on Grizzly 700 ATV)
Yamaha (OEM factory filter that came on 2016 Wolverine) - #2MB-E3440-00, Made in Japan
Mobil - # M1-108
Bosch - # 3300
Walmart — Super Tech # ST 7317
Fram Motorcycle - # PH 6017A
Fram - Tough Guard - # PH 7317
Fram Synthetic - # XG7317
Motocraft - # FL821
STP - # S6607
AC - # PF 2057 (3.25” long)
Yamaha - # Denso Filter 115010-6370
Yamaha - # 5GH-13440-20 (Filter Dealer sold me for 1st oil change). Later Superseded by #5GH-13440-60-00.
Purolator - Motorcycle Filter # ML 16817 - 20 micron, 8 psi. By-Pass
Purolator — Pure One # PL 14612 (2.5” long) - 20 micron, 12-14 psi. By-Pass
Purolator — Pure One # PL 14610 (3.25” long)
Champion — Motorcycle Filter # PH 2867
Wix — Motorcycle Filter # 51358

Note: I used the Purolator Pure One #14610 on both my Grizzly 700 ATV and on my 2016 Wolverine up until around October 2017 (still use it on the Grizzly 700). While I was on a trip, I had about 600 miles on the Purolator Filter and just out of the blue it started leaking around the filter's gasket. I noticed it from the oil dripping down on the floor of my trailer. The filter was tight and I couldn't tighten it any more, so I just went to the local auto parts store and put on a new filter (solved the problem). I have probably used 6-7 Purolator filters on my Grizzly 700 and Wolverine combined and never had a problem until this one time. Only thing I can come up with is that maybe the gasket material got brittle from all the heat and vibration and after multiple cycles of heating up and cooling off the gasket had gotten a set in it (compressed) and when the engine cooled off sitting on the trailer over night it created a drip that was obvious the next morning on my trailer floor. I expect that the metal threaded area of the filter was bottomed out on the nut on where the oil filter screws onto the engine (inspected but no obvious signs of contact); is why I couldn't tighten it more, but it was strange that it went leak free for 600 miles and then all of a sudden started leaking. After this I changed filters I use on the Wolverine.

Years ago on the Grizzly ATVs some people complained about some aftermarket filters would not tighten due to the oil filter bottoming out on the nut on the engine where the oil filter screws on, but in all of these cases it was obvious quite quickly because as soon as you cranked the ATV after an oil change it would be leaking oil badly at the gasket. The filters that individuals were having problems with were ones that were pretty much flat across the metal face of the filter area inside the diameter of the filter's gasket. So the more concave the area is inside the gasket area, the better (threads will be lower down in the filter) and this makes me wonder if Purolator may have started making the PL 14610 where the filter's threads are closer to the end of the filter, just a 1/16" would be enough to make a difference.
Papa, have you tried the Mobile 1 M1-110? I've been looking and it seems like the same filter just a good bit longer. Also noticed that the newest Mobile 1 M1-108 has been superceded by the M1-108A, the difference being the "A" is rated for 20k miles vs 15k miles for the non "A". Kinda finding it amusing to be looking to get a filter with a 20k mile rating but I'm changing em out every 1k or so! Lol!

Reactions: blast
1 - 20 of 26 Posts