Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
  • Tire manufacturers have recommended rim sizes for tires. Not a big deal, but ensure you can get close and a good seal.
  • You might loose some height going wider than recommended also.
  • We don't have long travel numbers, so tire scrub isn't a large concern I would think, but might affect handling some.
  • Wider car width would be more stable I'd think, make sure you're not limiting yourself to any trail width restrictions.

Reactions: DirtRoadWarrior

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Wheel Offset and Suspension Performance article..... Link.

Video:

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Check your owners manual for your wheel specs.
Here's my 19' X2

·
Registered
135 Posts
  • Tire manufacturers have recommended rim sizes for tires. Not a big deal, but ensure you can get close and a good seal.
  • You might loose some height going wider than recommended also.
  • We don't have long travel numbers, so tire scrub isn't a large concern I would think, but might affect handling some.
  • Wider car width would be more stable I'd think, make sure you're not limiting yourself to any trail width restrictions.

View attachment 95528
Best description I have seen yet.

Reactions: SKELLEY521

·
Registered
2022 RMAX2 1000 XT-R
204 Posts
So, in theory, if you want a wider stance, then go with wheel spacers and 5+2's? Or do wheel spacers create their own issues?

·
Registered
135 Posts
So, in theory, if you want a wider stance, then go with wheel spacers and 5+2's? Or do wheel spacers create their own issues?
Keep in mind, the farther you go out, the more bind your wheel bearings feel.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Spacers or wheel offset, you are still moving the tire centerline and possibly affecting scrub radius.

Read that article. Link.
Then you would have to do the math.
Example I was working on for mine with 5+2 wheels.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Also don't forget turning radius, especially if you use spacers in the rear.
I added 1-/1/2" in rear of my X2 to square tracking up and to get tire clearance with the Perfex lift.
At full droop, tires rubbed the shocks.

·
Registered
2022 RMAX2 1000 XT-R
204 Posts
Also don't forget turning radius, especially if you use spacers in the rear.
I added 1-/1/2" in rear of my X2 to square tracking up and to get tire clearance with the Perfex lift.
At full droop, tires rubbed the shocks.
According the Ramx2 XT-R specs, my kingpin angle is 10.8 degrees and kingpin offset is 14.1 mm (0.56 in). Is the kingpin offset the same as scrub radius? If so, that's good for a stock 4/3 offset wheel. That makes the 4/4 offset wheel a possible option after all. Plus 32 in tall tires would help.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
...... Is the kingpin offset the same as scrub radius?.......
No. In my math pic, I was verifying to ensure my Trig formula was correct at the time.
I needed to get actual measurements and determine my tires centerline to calculate my actual scrub, but I never followed up.
You are looking for the number that corresponds at the bottom of the tire, where the points of the green & red lines meet.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
That offset my also come out to be the scrub for stock tires & wheels too.
It's been awhile so I don't recall what numbers I plugged into the formula.

·
Registered
2022 RMAX2 1000 XT-R
204 Posts
That offset my also come out to be the scrub for stock tires & wheels too.
It's been awhile so I don't recall what numbers I plugged into the formula.
It's always nice to learn something new. Thanks for educating me. Scrub radius needs to be .250-1.00. Preferably closer to .250 but not lower. I got it.
Distance between Kingpin angle and tire centerline at floor equals scrub radius.
Now, how to make actual measurements of where tire centerline is...

·
Registered
2022 RMAX2 1000 XT-R
204 Posts
Another thing that bothers me is that Shock Therapy states that the 4+3 wheel offset is bad. That might be for Polaris king pin angles but not Yamaha Rmax's. So, you really have to know more than they do when it comes to scrub radius's. I loathe biased opinions. Again. thanks for educating me.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The wider offset will have impact on the steering system including tie-rods, tie-rod ends and rack. More stress and greater chance for wear, bending, and breaking. And maybe power steering, but not sure about that and how the separate little computer that is more expensive than an ECU (on Gen1) will be effected. If under warranty offset could be a factor on a claim.

Edit: Just got to thinking.... I would rather rebuild the top end of my motor again than to have to get into a power steering problem lolol!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts