Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

761 - 780 of 794 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
two things..

where is that trail system located? that tunnel/beginning/entrance to the trail is awesome!

2nd.. what windshield is that on the can-am? i like that it appears to be a flip up, but the top where it doesn't tip up is tinted for sun glare

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,113 Posts
I like the look of the rear bumper with the winch on it. Not needed for everyone but a great setup for those who may need winching. Going back in many ways can be better than going forward further into difficult trail section. Higher side doors as well.

I notice how the rear suspension compressed a lot on them jumps coming down. Softening I am sure.

Reactions: Wolverinegramps

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
two things..

where is that trail system located? that tunnel/beginning/entrance to the trail is awesome!

2nd.. what windshield is that on the can-am? i like that it appears to be a flip up, but the top where it doesn't tip up is tinted for sun glare
WV. That's Sophia tunnel. Most off those trails look like outlaw trails near Beckley.

Reactions: Doc T

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #768

·
Premium Member
2021 RMAX4 XTR
264 Posts
Thanks for explaining. Now I hope it will fit in my two trailers. Wife won’t like it if I have to purchase an Rmax plus two new trailers.:01:
the Rmax4 would of fit on my old Carry-On 6x12 trailer but when I sold my X2 the buyer asked if I was selling the trailer as well....cha ching hello Big Tex 6.5x12 !

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I don't know if that was the machine or just some weird sound 'echo' from the recording at the location with all the rocks, but that really high-pitch shriel was loud. Nice drive-down through the rocks though!!!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I know I should not even start this but..... as a basically content Gen 1 owner, IF I was to consider the RMax, which seems to be a nice upgrade for me, the 2 has only a 5.5" longer wheelbase, the 4 has 8.9" longer. If I was to go to another unit I feel like I want the longer wheelbase and would consider the 4 and removing the rear sway bar which maybe would free up the rear suspension (for more travel?) and modify the cage to eliminate the rear seats and improve the look of the 4 (no offense to 4 owners but I do not like the look). The question I have is, how does the 4 achieve the engine maintenance access, since it does not have the lift bed or does it have a tilt function or removable panel some how? I do hate the major design flaw of the Gen 1 that you have to remove the carrier to get any decent access to motor, I cannot contort my older body like I used too. Thoughts?
BTW if you have not noticed the Yamaha website has a great comparison chart with a pull down feature that allows you to compare all the Yamaha SxSs back to 2014 so it's easy to see what you would gain or lose from one unit to another.

Reactions: therebel19

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #773
RMA2\RMAX4 are probably easier to work on as you can sit in the rear seat and work on it and not kill your back by bending over to clear the raised RMAX2's bed. This is the X4, but the RMAX4 is nearly-identical.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
RMA2\RMAX4 are probably easier to work on as you can sit in the rear seat and work on it and not kill your back by bending over to clear the raised RMAX2's bed. This is the X4, but the RMAX4 is nearly-identical.
So is there a removable floor panel? Or just engine cover?

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #775
So is there a removable floor panel? Or just engine cover?
Engine cover (cup holders). Bottom is identical to the X2/RMAX2 as far as access for drain plugs. Oil filter is a little easier on the RMAX2 whereas the RMAX4 requires removal of a panel secured by 4 10mm bolts and a push pin.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I now have about the Rmax4 ground clearance on my Gen1 and know that the longer wheelbase would change breakover angle but that can get back with some spring preload so that seems the optimum for my style. I can climb stuff pretty well but it has a pucker factor at times going down worse than up for me so I kinda desire the 8.9" wheelbase extension. I also notice that the 4 is presented with 29" tires so a tire upgrade to 32's renders another 1.5" ground clearance. Not bad for a basically stock suspension with good USABLE travel. Sway bars doubtful without the extra people load.......

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I like the longer wheel base myself, but I don't think going with 4 seater is the best or most cost effective way to get it. You are $1500 more for the machine, dont get a roof, would need new wheels and your giving up 3" travel in the rear. I'm sure the aftermarket will come up with a arms to get the wheelbase close in the future. Or you go old school and just do a frame extension. I only hurts until the first cut is complete.

Reactions: Maggot

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
My brother is like you guys. He'd rather climb a hill than go down it. I don't care either way but probably lean to feeling more comfortable climbing.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #780
My brother is like you guys. He'd rather climb a hill than go down it. I don't care either way but probably lean to feeling more comfortable climbing.
When I did the route for our 2nd Annual Custer Off Road Rally, there was a loop that was all steeper hill climb going in and then smoother downhill descent going out and someone reversed the course on me at the last minute. The reversed route also created cross-traffic. Needless to say I was fuming.

761 - 780 of 794 Posts