Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

641 - 660 of 688 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Mine measured right at 66", sidewall to sidewall in the rear. Haven't measured the front yet. I think that's kind of a play on words, calling it a 64" "stance". Sounds like that may be from outer rim to outer rim measurement.
Yep. That is Yamaha trying to call it 64 inches. If you come to a 64" wide gate it really won't matter what the "stance" is they buggy is still to wide to fit. Yamaha has always been pretty loose with the numbers but between this stance thing and some of their adds completely giving wrong info has to make this one of their more questionable campaign's.

Reactions: Budro2

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
That is surprising low for a 66 inch wide machine. The Gen1 is 36.2.
My Gen 1 is currently 63” wide across the tire bulge, probably 62” rim to rim, the same ground clearance as the rmax. I know it’s not apples to apples but it’s hard to imagine that the added weight with the Rmax is centered that much higher to have such a low number especially when it’s at least 2” wider.
CC4B04AD-AB1E-4B72-B962-95C52B990C25.jpeg

This is 36 degrees. I’ve got a good load of cargo in the bed. A fairly heavy steel rack up top with a cooler completely full of ice and liquid up high on the downhill side along with my 165 pounds on the downhill side. I’m definitely loaded with the 430 pounds in the test and much of it is way above the center. This picture is also taken in a static position. Momentum is not at play. I don’t think I could have grabbed the cage and pulled it over with my weight. If an Rmax in stock fashion tips over right here I will believe it when I see it! No way that it’s less stable than this!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
It is outer rim to outer rim and tires do bulge, but that bulge does nothing for footprint. We measured 64" from tread to tread at the dealership.
I came up with similar measurements on the standard RMAX4.

FRONT : 64"

REAR : 64 3/4"

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Can’t wait to see the head to head!
I sat in, petted and stroked an XTR just like that yesterday and it had Adventure Pro in the dash so that must be a US/Canada thing?
I have to say without bias its the tightest best quality fit and finish I’ve ever seen. Honda Talon is 2nd. It was as sitting right next to a Talon and size looks identical visually. You can slip right into it very easily where you have to climb into the Talon It’s a good bit bigger than the previous models and in all reality not much smaller than a KRX even though the KRX has a bigger look to it. The 64” claim is deceiving and in all reality I suppose the KRX is only 2” wider. No way the RMAX is fitting through a 64” gate.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
So what does anyone know about the Carnivores?
I was under the impression that a good tire was put on the RMax but upon reading on the KRX forum the Carnivores have proved to be thin, cheap garbage. A whole lot of cases of side wall tears and slices and punctures between the tread lugs. It’s speculated that they are a cheap 2.0 version of the real Carnivore designed to save money for Kawasaki.

Is this what Yamaha really did as well? Seems to be the norm!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeppers-the Adventure Pro in the XT-R is a US thing. The 64" gate is probably not passable seeing the ride is 64", but I bet it fits through a 65" gate which is what most gates are-well, at least in WI. :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hmm, that don't sound good, I'll have to take a peak at the weight ratings on those tires.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Doubt Yamaha would do this, and the KRX being heavier and wider, maybe folks are tearing thru atv trail hitting sidewall obstacles. Wouldn't be too concerned yet.
So what does anyone know about the Carnivores?
I was under the impression that a good tire was put on the RMax but upon reading on the KRX forum the Carnivores have proved to be thin, cheap garbage. A whole lot of cases of side wall tears and slices and punctures between the tread lugs. It’s speculated that they are a cheap 2.0 version of the real Carnivore designed to save money for Kawasaki.

Is this what Yamaha really did as well? Seems to be the norm!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Hmm, that don't sound good, I'll have to take a peak at the weight ratings on those tires.
Yep, apparently the weight rating was poor for the KRX. Rmax is almost as heavy.
KRX is a 31” tire however. Maybe the 30” is the real deal!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yep, apparently the weight rating was poor for the KRX. Rmax is almost as heavy.
KRX is a 31” tire however. Maybe the 30” is the real deal!
Yah they are also 15", maybe getting some rim pinch with the shorter sidewalls

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Yeppers-the Adventure Pro in the XT-R is a US thing. The 64" gate is probably not passable seeing the ride is 64", but I bet it fits through a 65" gate which is what most gates are-well, at least in WI. :)
From my measurements it would definitely compress the tires in to fit at 65 and possibly rub the tree kickers. Not that it matters to me since we only have the 50” restriction.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Yah they are also 15", maybe getting some rim pinch with the shorter sidewalls
Good point. The comments were that the tires were extremely thin and flexible to the push of a finger when unmounted. I’m thinking that may have been an odd ball tire done for the KRX that wasn’t in production for sale. I think I also read that it could only be purchased through Kawi

·
Registered
580 Posts
Good point. The comments were that the tires were extremely thin and flexible to the push of a finger when unmounted. I’m thinking that may have been an odd ball tire done for the KRX that wasn’t in production for sale. I think I also read that it could only be purchased through Kawi
Yah I saw that video, they looked pretty flimsy for an 8 ply tire

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Doubt Yamaha would do this, and the KRX being heavier and wider, maybe folks are tearing thru atv trail hitting sidewall obstacles. Wouldn't be too concerned yet.
They sure did it to us on the Gen 1 with cheap light weight Bighorns

Reactions: Jraoffroad

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
They sure did it to us on the Gen 1 with cheap light weight Bighorns
Don't forget bias ply.

The KRX tires are a special size. I have no idea if the are different construction. I know of 4 KRX's, at least 2k miles between them and no flats yet. I think the biggest issue is the beadlocks and people not keeping the bolts tight.

Reactions: wolvymanx4

·
Registered
612 Posts
duplicate post

641 - 660 of 688 Posts