Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for you guys. I recently had the first service done on the Wolverine and when I got it back I noticed an odd noise on startup. First you hear the starter turn over then the engine fires up and right at the end of that sequence it makes a squawking noise like some sort of crazy bird and it only lasts for a split second during that startup routine. I will call them on Monday but can any of you hazard a guess as to what that noise is? The Wolverine runs fine and this odd noise only occurs when It's sat up for awhile. Anyone?

·
Registered
367 Posts
This was a well known thin on the grizzly. It is not the starter for one. It is the belt. It's cold it's slips a little. When it's cold you can also here a knocking sound out the weights in the cold grease also normal ... I haven't heard this on my wolverine yet but used to always get a belt squawk on the grizzly in the cold

·
Registered
12 Posts
This was a well known thin on the grizzly. It is not the starter for one. It is the belt. It's cold it's slips a little. When it's cold you can also here a knocking sound out the weights in the cold grease also normal ... I haven't heard this on my wolverine yet but used to always get a belt squawk on the grizzly in the cold
Okay, if you figure anything out please let us know. I will be trying to pinpoint the source myself. It only happens in the cold for me.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I always figured it was a mild form of condinsation on the sheave face. I opened my grizzly he morning after a ride and had moisture on the face of the sheave but none in the cover. This is all speculation but I feel like if there is moisture in the air there is moisture in the clutches so when it freezes the belt may be rigid causing a slip or a squwack. I can't say for certain my squwack is the same as yours as I am not their and you are not here. But I am certain mine is the belt (olso haven't heard it on the wolverine as its now in a heated shop not in the cold

·
Registered
12 Posts
I always figured it was a mild form of condinsation on the sheave face. I opened my grizzly he morning after a ride and had moisture on the face of the sheave but none in the cover. This is all speculation but I feel like if there is moisture in the air there is moisture in the clutches so when it freezes the belt may be rigid causing a slip or a squwack. I can't say for certain my squwack is the same as yours as I am not their and you are not here. But I am certain mine is the belt (olso haven't heard it on the wolverine as its now in a heated shop not in the cold
Makes sense to me. I agree it may not be the same, but based on your description I believe it is. I am going to take a video of the sound and post it. Just haven't been able to recreate it recently. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Possibly the belt isn't flexible at the lower temps and it takes a little time to regain that flexibility. Ever drive on a set of cold tires in the winter; thump-thump-thump until they warm up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will add that outside temps don't seem to matter much with mine. It was in the upper 50's yesterday when I cranked it and heard the squawk. Never heard the squawk prior to getting it serviced. It does sort of sound like it comes from the starter. At least I'm not the only one!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Wow. Do people on this forum all drive a Lexus? :). ATVs/SXSs make so much damn noise. Unless it's on fire it's probably fine. :) Run it until it breaks, fix it, run it some more.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Heck that's an easy one. After hearing it, that's the bendix being spun on the shaft by the flywheel after the engine has started running, before it slides back down. However, definitely not what I would consider "normal" for a new machine, that's normal for a worn out starter drive lol. What is happening is the spring return on the pinion gear, or bendix, whatever you what to call it, is not returning fast enough. At least, that is what it sounds like to me. I have owned a good number of machines, and worked on quite a few, and that to me is classic starter noise indicating it's time to replace the starter. If this has done it from day one, there is a problem, and you need to show the video to the dealer, or bring the machine in.

My 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts