Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what octane fuel is everyone running.
im still on the first tank from the dealer, but its down to one bar.

·
Banned
420 Posts
My first tank was down to half. I filled up with 90 ethanol free. Unless some one thinks this is not a good idea I think that is what I am going to run. Anybody have some thoughts ?

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Ran 87 ethanol free for a few tanks, then 93 for a few, then 91 for a few. LOL I'm not to worried mine don't sit in the tank long enough to go bad. If I had the choice, then it would probably be 90 Ethanol free all the time. That's a good range to use BDD. Gives a little better protection from detonation than 87.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Whatever the premium at the corner station is. 93 I think. I got in the habit of using that on my old YFZ that said it needed to be 91 plus and just kept using it. Unfortunately, I don't ride enough for the price difference to have much of an effect. Bought my machine in May and still only have 211 miles on it.

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
usually whatever premium is, mostly 93, because by us that the only thing you can get without ethanol

·
Registered
31 Posts
they have summer blend fuel in my area so i use 93 the majority of the time.
just purchased some ethanol-free 91 and so far it is running great. seems to have a lot more volatility.
safety can goes p-f-f-f-f-f-t when i open it so i know it's the good stuff :rolleyes:

·
Registered
395 Posts
I think there is a myth about 93 octane and ethanol. All states except for Montana and Missouri require it by law, unless something has changed recently. Ethanol is quite often used to help raise that octane.

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
I think there is a myth about 93 octane and ethanol. All states except for Montana and Missouri require it by law, unless something has changed recently. Ethanol is quite often used to help raise that octane.
Most all the pumps here say ethanol free on premium

·
Registered
242 Posts
Only a couple of gas stations sell ethanol free fuel and it is always 87 octane in my area. Last night I found a store that sells only non ethanol. About two miles out of my way when I am going to my land.

·
July WOTM Winner!
100 Posts
Manual says regular unleaded. you don't need anything higher octane unless its knocking. 87 is fine up to 10% ethanol.

·
Vendor
771 Posts
Not talking about the ethanol but only on octane only, if your engine does not require high octane due to it having high compression piston then it is a waste and actually will perform worse.

The purpose of higher octane is to slow the burn down. Engines are supposed to reach peak pressure point at around 15 degrees after top dead center, something like a high compression piston speeds the process up so higher octane is used to slow the burn down

So in a engine that does not need it, it would slow it down too slow.

Hope that makes sense.

Interestingly enough I found that out when I was a fireman at a Chemistry of Haz Material class. Two week chemistry class on hyrdocarbons, boring!!!

Todd

·
Registered
14 Posts
Manual says regular unleaded. you don't need anything higher octane unless its knocking. 87 is fine up to 10% ethanol.
Someone tested fuel from a bunch of local gas stations here a few years ago. All were labeled 10% ethanol. Some came back as low as 5%, some as high as 18%. I don't worry about it in my truck because even though I know the ECU doesn't have mapping for it, at least it shouldn't harm the engine (it can run E85). Where it does concern me is all my small engines.

As for octane, unless you have a complex ECU, there is no benefit in running higher octane than called for in the owners manual. A lot of cars and trucks can make more power using higher octane but I think it is more a case of they should be running high octane all the time but manufacturer uses the ECU to pull timing so they can sell it as only requiring 'regular' 87 octane...requiring higher octane only works in some segments, in others it will be used against you by your competitor and can affect sales.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
I am absolutely baffled at the vast majority of you guys running premium fuel...I run regular plain old 87 w/10% ethanol, because that is what is available to me, and, as others have already explained, it is a complete waste of money to run premium fuel in an engine that isn't designed for it. Unless you have problems with detonation due to A) high compression motor, or B) running boost that is not intercooled properly or is too excessive, you have no need to run anything but 87. This is as bad as people saying irregardless...it's not a word! As for the ethanol, we already had this discussion in the ethanol thread, we know that is bad. I run ethanol mix because it is what I have at local pumps, and I run Fuel Stabilizer too.

·
Vendor
771 Posts
I am absolutely baffled at the vast majority of you guys running premium fuel...I run regular plain old 87 w/10% ethanol, because that is what is available to me, and, as others have already explained, it is a complete waste of money to run premium fuel in an engine that isn't designed for it. Unless you have problems with detonation due to A) high compression motor, or B) running boost that is not intercooled properly or is too excessive, you have no need to run anything but 87. This is as bad as people saying irregardless...it's not a word! As for the ethanol, we already had this discussion in the ethanol thread, we know that is bad. I run ethanol mix because it is what I have at local pumps, and I run Fuel Stabilizer too.
AGreed

I don't use stabilizer and to date no issue with fuel in anything

I put it in my boat for winter storage though

·
Banned
420 Posts
I only bought the 90 because it is the only non ethanol fuel I can find in my area. I am/was service manager at a large boat dealership and ethanol fuel is a major issue in boats. Boats sit for long periods of time and that is where the issue comes into play with ethanol. Probably won't be an issue a side by side if it is used regularly. I certainly am no expert on the matter. Just my thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
AGreed

I don't use stabilizer and to date no issue with fuel in anything

I put it in my boat for winter storage though
Let me elaborate on my use of Stabil: I don't use it every tank. I use it if I know the gas will be sitting more than a month. I use it in my cans to store gas too for the generator, log splitter, etc.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Let me elaborate on my use of Stabil: I don't use it every tank. I use it if I know the gas will be sitting more than a month. I use it in my cans to store gas too for the generator, log splitter, etc.
For the last few years, I've used it all the time in my toys because of the ethanol in the gas and the fact that my work schedule makes it tough for me to get out and ride with a group (and I hate riding by myself, plus I have no easy to get to places to go). Sad as it is, I bought my Wolvie in May and it only has 211 miles on it right now. I will be going out tomorrow for the first time since Labor Day weekend.

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
Ethanol is very hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water very easily, even out of the air. Even our race fuels contain ethanol. All ethanol enhanced fuel contains water. It is the water that is corrosive. So it is important that the water stays emulsified in the fuel. We use stabil marine formula in our race fuel, it has a new additive which emulsifies water and keeps It from separating in our fuel.

There are other factors to consider when purchasing premium fuel at the gas station. You may not require the octane, but premium fuels tend to have better distillation and better additives such as detergents and nitrogen additives. In other words, premium fuels tend to require less additives post sale due to higher quality.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I love your philosophy . Easy to understand. :cool:

Reactions: Flach24
1 - 20 of 29 Posts