Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a '16 r-spec that won't always recognize when it's in High gear. everything else is fine. it will go into R, N, L, 4x4, and diff lock but sometimes it won't recognize it's in H. it will be in drive but the speed will be limited to about 25 and when it gets there it will back fire and pop a lot. other times the H light will illuminate like normal and it will drive just fine. seems like about half the time it does this. i bought it used and the olny thing i'm aware of that isn't stock is the power comannder V.

has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
There was a guy with a user name MAC that described this exact scenario last year. He never got an answer. He corresponded with me several times through PM about it but as far as I know he never resolved the problem. You could send him a PM and see if he has figured anything out.
I do know that he could put it in reverse and backup and then go back to high and then it would work normal.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
First thing is to adjust the shifter rod. Reco you take off the center console to do this as you want to make sure you are not forcing the adjustment. Not sure what the manual says but disconnect the shifter rod pin from transmission lever (IIRC lol) and put transmission in Neutral. Check rod to see if someone bent it. The rod has a manual thread adjustment so loosen lock-nut and adjust rod so that the pin slides into the trans lever without moving it. Put a little grease in it if it does not have any. Also make sure that the nut holding trans lever on, is snug.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
IIRC there is a microswitch in the shifter and if not exactly aligned it will act-up. I think we have a reverse limiter speed.... but not sure?

Reactions: Stroodle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would make sense about the shifter rob being slightly bent making it seem as though it’s not properly aligned. I’ll check that out.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I’ll see what I can figure out.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I was going to say the same thing at first in regards to checking your linkage but then I remembered the situation Mac had and while I hope it is your linkage I fear that it’s not. It sounds like it’s actually in high range but occasionally decides to be limited just like when diff lock has not engaged.
If you figure it out will you please post your findings so if it happens to someone else we will be better informed.
I also sent Mac your user name. Maybe the two of you can get together through PM and work it out!

Reactions: blast

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
If rod is not bent, it might be worthwhile to check your motor mounts just to try and figure out if that has caused some misalignment or pressure cause of motor lean or movement. If you think that the car has been run hard or rolled or jumped a lot, the top of motor vs the shifter rack would not take a whole lot of misalignment to put some pressure on that connection. But needs to be fixed if that is it, cause it can wear on internal transmission shifting mechanisms.

Reactions: blast

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i spoke with MAC in my pm's. the only thing he told me was that he turns the motor off and on several times until it sorts itself out and the problem goes away. however, that's not really a solution or something i want to contiue. i'll check out the things mentioned above. worst case scenario it still has a warranty so i can take it to a dealer to get looked at.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Just a heads up- if going in for warranty work, you may want to remove the PCV before you take it in. And the rod adjustment may be claimed to be normal wear and tear so be expected to pay for that if your warranty is not a full bumper to bumper.

Reactions: blast and Budro2

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. i'm new to sxs's but i'm not new to warranty work so that will definitely come off before going to a dealership. i'll be sure to post my findings after i look at it.

Just a heads up- if going in for warranty work, you may want to remove the PCV before you take it in. And the rod adjustment may be claimed to be normal wear and tear so be expected to pay for that if your warranty is not a full bumper to bumper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts