Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Honestly it’s sounds exactly like the metallic clicking sound on the Rmax everyone is complaining about.
Ive heard a few X model owners also mention it in the past.
Since the Rmax had a few early transmission failures, people panicked thinking their transmission was bad. Many many people have that noise and no transmissions are failing because of it. I’m not personally aware of an X model ever having a transmission failure.

If your console is still out reach down in there with a hammer handle and tap on your E brake caliper and you’ll hear the same sound. When the E brake is out of spec taking more than 3 clicks to come tight so there is a lot of slack, the noise on mine gets worse. I believe the rotor spinning is vibrating the pads creating the noise. When my brake is adjusted to take 2-3 clicks the noise is barely detectable. Others have removed the whole caliper and say they still have the noise, still others with brand new machines having the noise have had the transmission replaced by Yamaha and claim the noise is gone.
Adjust your brake and drive it. At 4500 miles your not getting a transmission and the sound hasn’t led to any problems.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX 4 SE (XTR in US)
45 Posts
Honestly it’s sounds exactly like the metallic clicking sound on the Rmax everyone is complaining about.
Ive heard a few X model owners also mention it in the past.
Since the Rmax had a few early transmission failures, people panicked thinking their transmission was bad. Many many people have that noise and no transmissions are failing because of it. I’m not personally aware of an X model ever having a transmission failure.

If your console is still out reach down in there with a hammer handle and tap on your E brake caliper and you’ll hear the same sound. When the E brake is out of spec taking more than 3 clicks to come tight so there is a lot of slack, the noise on mine gets worse. I believe the rotor spinning is vibrating the pads creating the noise. When my brake is adjusted to take 2-3 clicks the noise is barely detectable. Others have removed the whole caliper and say they still have the noise, still others with brand new machines having the noise have had the transmission replaced by Yamaha and claim the noise is gone.
Adjust your brake and drive it. At 4500 miles your not getting a transmission and the sound hasn’t led to any problems.

This is definitely not the same noise as the tranny bearing, I'd agree and say it's driveline related and yes possibly the brake & caliper. I just had my Tranny replaced for the Knocking/Clicking noise and it did remedy the issue.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
This is definitely not the same noise as the tranny bearing, I'd agree and say it's driveline related and yes possibly the brake & caliper. I just had my Tranny replaced for the Knocking/Clicking noise and it did remedy the issue.
Good to know because it’s always been unclear if we’re all talking about the same noise.
The sound in this video in this thread sounds exactly like my noise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts