Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode Mines and Meadows on Saturday. I noticed when I slam the brakes on hard, I here a ratcheting sound. Sort of sounds like splines are stripped out. This only occurs when there is good traction on solid ground. Anyone have this issue? I think it might be the axle splines in my rear hubs.. Just spit balling before I take it to dealer.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'd have to hear it. I can't imagine it would drive right if your splines are stripped out of your axles shafts, only showing symptoms when you are breaking.

I had a similar sound on my old Outlander when a rear axle shaft went. The bearings in them were shot and gave a ratcheting type sound.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
My engine brake works so well I hardly ever have to use the brakes.

With 12" rims there is very little clearance between the brake calipers and the rim. Pretty easy for a stone or something to get lodged in there. Might want to check that out before treking to the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
That is probably driveline chatter as the driveshaft's/axles/wheels/etc. are all motion and you are jamming on the brakes hard. I hear this all the time on my Grizzly's when braking down hills and the tires are still trying to rotate.

·
Registered
718 Posts
It's just chatter in the driveline. Mine does it when I go to the local race track and get on it then have to slow down quick. This is the first Yamaha 4x4 I've personally owned, but have rode with a lot of them over the years, and they've all down it when we get to riding hard.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Because the other brands rattle so much you don't hear the chatter :p

It's just because the wheels are still trying to rotate while your driveline is locked up due to the braking, no worries.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I haven't heard a chatter as bad as the old Grizzlies with the drive shaft mounted rear brake. First time I rode with someone on one of those bikes, I thought the thing was going to come apart first time he slammed on the brakes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.