Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone running without sway bars blown any shocks yet?

I ordered limit straps. Of course they don’t fit, and I’m debating on whether or not it’s worth the hassle to fab these on. They might work in the rear, but in the front the bolts are too small for the holes in the straps.

When I pulled the bolts from the front shock and removed it, I discovered the shock itself is the only limiter, so the straps will definitely help.

Has anyone else even considered adding limiting straps?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Interesting coincidence that I watched a video on Shock Therapy last night that explained the limit straps and reason for them. So I got to thinking that depending on your riding style, If you have the JBS springs and larger wheels and tires that it may be ill-advised to pre-load your springs due to the extra pressures that can put on the OEM shock components. JBS says to just take the adjustment nuts to the top of spring w/o any preload, but I do believe IIRC that some have said they are preloading them to get more lift. And maybe going off the principle of the video, since the spring travel stops at spring extension other than weight of the tire/wheel, then maybe this is less stress on the shock ends. ????? It's a good video to watch for the education and decision of how to approach this matter and maybe avoid the whining later lol.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting coincidence that I watched a video on Shock Therapy last night that explained the limit straps and reason for them. So I got to thinking that depending on your riding style, If you have the JBS springs and larger wheels and tires that it may be ill-advised to pre-load your springs due to the extra pressures that can put on the OEM shock components. JBS says to just take the adjustment nuts to the top of spring w/o any preload, but I do believe IIRC that some have said they are preloading them to get more lift. And maybe going off the principle of the video, since the spring travel stops at spring extension other than weight of the tire/wheel, then maybe this is less stress on the shock ends. ????? It's a good video to watch for the education and decision of how to approach this matter and maybe avoid the whining later lol.
I mean, with the shock off I could very easily lift the suspension, so it’s not as much weight as someone running a 1,500lbs 1 ton with 42” tall tires and beadlocks, but it’s still pressure being applied downward on the shock.

I’m going to take the straps to the hardware store and if I can figure out something to make them work I’ll install them. If not I’ll send them back.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The video explains how when you unweight the wheel/tire in an instant, the wheel/tire weight hammers the end of the shock. Apparently the OEM shock is designed for the spring pressures and the weight of the OEM wheel/tire hammering energy. If any components change then the energy to the end of the shock will be felt and consequently straps are needed to mitigate that energy, which straps should be a 1/4" shorter than full shock extension. And make sure the straps have a loose bolted connection to center the load or it can tear the end pf the strap.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The video explains how when you unweight the wheel/tire in an instant, the wheel/tire weight hammers the end of the shock. Apparently the OEM shock is designed for the spring pressures and the weight of the OEM wheel/tire hammering energy. If any components change then the energy to the end of the shock will be felt and consequently straps are needed to mitigate that energy, which straps should be a 1/4" shorter than full shock extension. And make sure the straps have a loose bolted connection to center the load or it can tear the end pf the strap.
The sway bars not being connected also change all of that.

But wait, they’re saying the strap hole SHOULD be bigger than the bolt? I was afraid that bit of play would affect the bolt, but maybe not.

Do you have a link to a specific video?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Here's a first for me... a link and can do on my computer lol. Don't expect this too often lol.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! That close up on their video gave me an idea to get my straps to work. Mine are 18”, full travel is something like 19 3/4” or so. But, Speed Strap said to get about 2” shorter than your full run out. Companies like Shock Therapy won’t waste time and money on Wolvys, so best I got.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a 2019 X2 and after installing 30" Blackwater tires my suspension slammed every time the tires dropped over a ledge/obstacle. It must be because the shock is slamming at full extension. It sonds terrible and it's annoying. Thanks for posting the video as I'm sure it descibes my issue. My Gen1 Wolverine did not slam like that with 30" tires and it rode way better than the X2, bummer. I have now gone to 33"s and portals so it seems I need to figure out some limiting straps as it still slams every time the shock is at full extension. Keep us posted if you figure out the proper strap length and mounting hardware. Did you buy the hardware that Speed straps sells?

Reactions: Budro2

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I have a 2019 X2 and after installing 30" Blackwater tires my suspension slammed every time the tires dropped over a ledge/obstacle. It must be because the shock is slamming at full extension. It sonds terrible and it's annoying. Thanks for posting the video as I'm sure it descibes my issue. My Gen1 Wolverine did not slam like that with 30" tires and it rode way better than the X2, bummer. I have now gone to 33"s and portals so it seems I need to figure out some limiting straps as it still slams every time the shock is at full extension. Keep us posted if you figure out the proper strap length and mounting hardware. Did you buy the hardware that Speed straps sells?
I would double check if Portal seller/mfr makes a recommendation on shocks. Replacement or limit straps or.... ? Seems it would be a little irresponsible of someone producing such to not inform the consumer of the ramifications of adding all the un-sprung weight of portals and bigger tires to the suspension. Changing the geometry of the suspension with the portals also puts extra stress on the steering components, tie rod ends, tie rods and steering rack.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I would double check if Portal seller/mfr makes a recommendation on shocks. Replacement or limit straps or.... ? Seems it would be a little irresponsible of someone producing such to not inform the consumer of the ramifications of adding all the un-sprung weight of portals and bigger tires to the suspension. Changing the geometry of the suspension with the portals also puts extra stress on the steering components, tie rod ends, tie rods and steering rack.
You are correct in that these major mods have completely changed the mechanics of the machine. The reality is that nobody, users or manufacturers, have a "recipe" to follow to make it all come together and work properly. Especially not for the step-child Wolverine that doesn't get much love from the aftermarket world. I am on my own to try and piece it all together. Forums like this are great when people share there tips and tricks....

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn’t know Speed Strap made hardware. I’m just going to take the straps to the hardware store and spend time putting something together.

·
Registered
226 Posts
AK, what's your rebound settings? Sounds to soft/light imo.
I'm not certain, but I think that I put the settings back to the midle or normal setting, not hard or soft. You think that increasing the rebound setting may help with slamming at full extension? Makes sense that it would help...I'll have to try that.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AK, what's your rebound settings? Sounds to soft/light imo.
I'm not certain, but I think that I put the settings back to the midle or normal setting, not hard or soft. You think that increasing the rebound setting may help with slamming at full extension? Makes sense that it would help...I'll have to try that.
If what the guys from Shock Therapy said holds true, then no it won’t. Ha! Not with your set up. You’re quite a bit heavier than stock.

Reactions: AKHUNTER

·
Registered
311 Posts
The rebound would "slow down" the shock extension speed. But if it's slamming open over slow obstacles at full travel, then F. E. is correct. But if it's mainly happening at a faster pace, then by turning the rebound in more it should help. Limiters might not be a bad idea for your set-up.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The rebound would "slow down" the shock extension speed. But if it's slamming open over slow obstacles at full travel, then F. E. is correct. But if it's mainly happening at a faster pace, then by turning the rebound in more it should help. Limiters might not be a bad idea for your set-up.
I think for AK it's going to happen no matter what until he gets straps on the suspension. Those 33's and portals are probably HEAVY. Even if it doesn't clunk, it'll still bottom out.

The straps are relatively inexpensive compared to new shocks. I think I got mine for $119 shipped? The real trick is getting them on the machine in a way that allows them to work well. In the front, there's not a ton of room to add inches onto the bolts. On the X4 the coil spring sticks out a good bit, too, and if the straps are constantly rubbing on the spring, it'll shorten the life drastically. These machines are great billy goats, little tanks, whatever you want to call them, but the aftermarket support is lacking, and will always lack since there's not many years before Yamaha implemented minor changes throughout the machines.

Reactions: 1slo_CR

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I went to the hardware store, and spent over an hour trying to find something to work, which would allow me to connect the straps to the shock bolts. No dice. I need a short shoulder, and a long thread to get them out far enough away from the coils.

A "U" shaped bracket on the top and bottom of the shock might work, but there's not a lot of room to play with under there, especially on the bottom. This might not even be needed anyways, so I'm not too worried if I can't figure it out.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,391 Posts
I've contacted Shock Therapy about making a spring kit for the X2/X4

·
Registered
138 Posts
One option for those of you looking for limit straps is to reach out to 814 UTV suspension. I am running 814 trail series shocks and they come with 19” limit straps and all the shock mount hardware (long bolts, spacer, etc). Craig Folmer would probably sell you a set of limit straps and hardware for the X2/4. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts