Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced lose of brakes or a spongy pedal? I had this happen a couple times on recent trip to Hatfield and yesterday when I was playing around my house. It ONLY happens at slow speed AND extreme angles. It has never done it just driving down the trail at a normal speed or going up or down a hill. It acts exactly like there is air in the system. The pedal goes to the floor, pump it up a couple times, and pedal pressure returns. I have tried bleeding the brakes and got no air out of the system and the master cylinder is full. Any ideas?

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
Are you losing any fluid? Only time I have issues are when they're wet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, not losing any fluid. I added fluid after I bled the brakes, but it was full when I started.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
How many miles on your Wolverine? Has it done this since the day 1, whenever you have had it on extreme angles?

Easy to see if you have a seal in the Master Cylinder going bad just clamp off the brake lines and mash the pedal, solid pedal = good seal.

Most likely air in the lines somewhere. I had a real pain in the but with my Grizzly 700 ATV, just put on new rear brakes and had soft brake lever, made no sense what so ever. Then replaced piston, bleed lines everyway possible, multiple times, and still not like it was before changing pads. Ended up getting it the best I could, but was still somewhat mushy, and rode it. After 100 miles it improved on its on. Had to be a tiny air bubble in the lines somewhere that would not bleed out and with all the bouncing and using it, it worked its way back up to the reservoir.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
^^What he said.

I have not had any issues on mine with the brakes at all. Sounds like you have an air bubble to me. Sometimes when I have not had luck bleeding the old fashioned way, I used my hand pump vacuum and run a whole lot of fluid through the system. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Definitely block off the lines and test the master cylinder first though, you have have a defective one, who knows.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Try greasing the caliper guide pins with caliper grease. I haven't had issues with my Wolverine brakes but I had a similar issue with my Grizzly's brakes. I had tried bleeding them every way possible, changed pads, you name it and all they needed was a lil grease.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Try greasing the caliper guide pins with caliper grease. I haven't had issues with my Wolverine brakes but I had a similar issue with my Grizzly's brakes. I had tried bleeding them every way possible, changed pads, you name it and all they needed was a lil grease.
Never even thought about that...solid tip! I can see how that would affect the pedal feel, if it gets hung up on the return I suppose you create a vacuum that has to be pressurized again when you push the pedal before it starts moving the cylinder again. Interesting...

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Yah it drove me CRAZY for a very long time and that was the only thing that ever ended up working. Worth a shot anyway

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am going to try greasing the slides this weekend. I had a kodiak with the same issue. Tried everything to fix the problem, but not that. Thanks for the tip.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Have you by any chance put on a-arm guards? If so, when you turn the wheel they can push the factory boot protectors and not let the brakes function.
Can you please elaborate on this? I am not sure what you mean by "factory boot protectors".

·
Registered
35 Posts
Can you please elaborate on this? I am not sure what you mean by "factory boot protectors".
Well, scratch that thought anyway. The description reminded me of when we put the front A-arm skids on the front of the RZR I had. They had a front portion that came up and sat right in front of the plastic guards in front of the CV boots by the wheel. When you turned the wheel hard the guards would hit the A-arm skids and get pushed into the brake calipers.

But, when I got home I took a look at the Wolverine and the calipers are on the back side, so won't be that issue. here.

Here's a pic of what I was trying to describe.

20150801_194008.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took the factory boot protectors off before putting the a arm guards on, but I will double check that today too. I was out traveling all week for work. Finally getting some time home this weekend. Thanks for the tips. I will let you know what I find.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Problem Found- A-Arm guards were hitting the caliper pushing the piston back causing me to have to pump the brakes back up to get the pedal back(just like Fjen said.)
IMG_2166.JPG

IMG_2167.JPG

You can see marks on caliper. Once I cut the guard enough, the brake line was hitting, so I cut the whole thing off.
This is what I ended up with.

IMG_2168.JPG

I am going to call EMP on Monday and let them know what I found. Thanks to Fjen for pointing the a arm gurards.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Glad that helped! Not quite the same as what I had but similar enough. It took me a while to figure out it only happened when turning the wheel and I knew the only change was putting a-arm guards on that machine. Like you, there were obvious marks when taking a closer look there.

Here is a link to a thread I started when I had the problem on the RZR forums. Had to go back and read it again since I thought your description was so similar!
http://www.rzrforums.net/rzr-900-50-trail-models/177469-soft-brake-pedal.html

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
My EMP guards hit the caliper too at full lock. I just bent the guards some, but they didn't come in contact with the hose...I will have to go double check that LOL. Glad you figured it out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I installed mine today they were hitting the caliper and the hose, I am glad I read this thread before I road it,
I also cut some off from them so they would clear, That is bad news that a company like EMP would put out something that would cause your brakes to fail, They should be a recall on them or a Refund

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update: Got my machine back from EMP today. They redesigned them so there is no longer interference.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Update: Got my machine back from EMP today. They redesigned them so there is no longer interference.
Did Rick say if he had any plans of telling people who purchased the originals that there is an issue? He used my machine to make the originals, and hasn't said a word to me about the situation. I haven't spoken with him in months. BTW, the guards did not hit my brake lines, even after bending them slightly to clear the caliper...not sure what the difference is between our machines, but they were not even close to hitting, over an inch of clearance at full lock.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts