Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

Next Project: Spare tire carrier.

17K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Boulder Bouncer 
#1 ·
I really want to have the ability to carry a spare for longer rides and weekend rides. Has anybody made a carrier yet? Got any pics?

#3 ·
Did you brace it up high or just run it from the receiver. I was thinking of going that route and adding in a carrier for a fuel can while I was at it. I think there is room for a tire and 3-5 gal can side by side.Would give me a defacto rear bumper also.

#5 ·
Did you make it yourself?

#6 ·
I bought the factory spare tire holder. I like DJPAINTER's because You don't lose bed space. That's the only draw back of the factory one.

This is a picture of it from the front

Driverside view

Passengerside View

Rear View

Reactions: All out
#17 ·
#7 ·
My other option if I don't go with the rear carrier was to mount a crossbar on the rear of the cage just below the roof line. Would save bed space and should still be fairly accessible. For easier access I maybe would make the crossbar on a hinge so you could swing it out to the side of the machine.

#21 ·
#18 ·
Great job in my opinion!

Reactions: tylor
#12 ·
DJPainter....have you had any issue with that bottoming out going over obstacles?

#23 ·
I kinda like that front carrier.

#25 ·
I don't have a picture of it but I have a friend that done the same thing djpainter done except he put a reciever on front in his brush guard and run his tube back over the hood, so it looks like the spare is mounted on the hood, but u can pull it out, and to keep it from rattling he drilled a hole threw receiver welded a nut on and put a bolt threw it, you can tighten bolt against the mount and its solid as a rock, ill see if I can get a picture of it. gonna make me one but have to find a spare tire first

#26 · (Edited)
gonna make me one but have to find a spare tire first
We got an OEM steel take off rim from a Viking on Ebay for $60 or $65 including shipping. Used tires are easy to find. If you go with OEM for a spare and you only have 1, make sure you get a front rim. Not sure if the backs will fit on the front?

#30 ·
I wanted a spare tire carrier so I took DJPainters idea and made one very similar. I used 1-3/4 thin wall tubing from the 2 inch receiver tube up to keep the weight down. I also attached it to the frame with some 1-3/4 flat stock. All of it was made from some scraps that I brought home from the fab shop I used to work at. I haven't drilled a hole in the bottom for a hitch pin but we went on a fairly rough 65 mile ride yesterday and it held up great.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.