Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to have the ability to carry a spare for longer rides and weekend rides. Has anybody made a carrier yet? Got any pics?

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you brace it up high or just run it from the receiver. I was thinking of going that route and adding in a carrier for a fuel can while I was at it. I think there is room for a tire and 3-5 gal can side by side.Would give me a defacto rear bumper also.

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought the factory spare tire holder. I like DJPAINTER's because You don't lose bed space. That's the only draw back of the factory one.

This is a picture of it from the front
Front View Tire Holder.jpeg

Driverside view
Driverside View Tire Holder.jpeg

Passengerside View
Passenger Side View Tire Holder.jpeg

Rear View
Rear View Tire Holder.jpeg

Reactions: All out

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My other option if I don't go with the rear carrier was to mount a crossbar on the rear of the cage just below the roof line. Would save bed space and should still be fairly accessible. For easier access I maybe would make the crossbar on a hinge so you could swing it out to the side of the machine.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My Welder wasn't really mean enough to well this thickness of steel, But it held together in some Rocky stuff
I like to see behind me with mirrors so I didn't want it to high. And I lost no bed space

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DJPainter....have you had any issue with that bottoming out going over obstacles?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yes Kevin It did, so I welded that quick link to it and I have a chain with a turn buckle and I loop it thru it and hook to chassis on both sides of the machine... Tighten and no rattles. I rode a total of Twelve days in the Rockies and never had any issues with it.

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Reactions: tylor

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was wondering why you have extensions on your chainsaw mount? Do you find carrying a chainsaw useful? I was considering carrying one.
I will not ride without my chainsaw. It has gotten me out of so many jams in the woods. I have also got a lot of people out of trouble as well. Often where I ride the trails are in such bad shape that you can't go through. In this case it's nice to have a chainsaw to cut your self a trail around the bad spot. This past weekend I came across a guy on the trail ( brand new Honda Pioneer 1000 ) who got stuck on a fallen tree and couldn't winch himself out. In this case I cut the tree out in sections to take them out. Some one probably could have jerked him out and damaged his machine. But with the chainsaw I saved the day!

If you notice I placed the chainsaw holder behind the seat because I also have the tire holder. This causes the chainsaw handle to hit the back of the seat and not sit in the right position. I added the spacers to give me room for the handle to sit on the bar. It would work with out spacers if you put the holder in the center but I couldn't because of the tire. If you can make out the chainsaw handle in the picture you will understand what I mean. Sorry about the picture, I cover my chainsaw on the trails because I have a battery operated chainsaw and don't want to get it wet.
By The Creek.jpeg

Stuck In The Mud.jpeg

Everything has a pro and con to it. One advantage of having the spare tire in the bed as apposed to in the rear like DJPAINTER is rearward clearance. I have been in situations on tight wooded trails where you needed every inch behind, you to back up and clear the turn. Usually it's when I'm making a trail around an un-passable trail. This has been the case on almost all of my rides. If you don't run into this scenario then it wouldn't matter.

·
Registered
58 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts