Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought it on Friday rspec eps
Riding at windrock and the machine died twice
Both times it was in 4x4 and I went to give it gas.
It's almost like I was driving a manual transmission and stalled it out

·
Registered
575 Posts
Were you in 4wd diff lock. I've had mine stall when I put it in 4wd diff lock and didn't wait long enough for the diff lock display to stop blinking.

If you shift to diff lock and the center diff icon is blinking it will bog and studder and die.

I have had mine stall 2 times also since I've had it when it wasn't under a load just coming to a stop. I chalked it up to breakin. I had probably less than 100 miles then. I'm about 180 miles now and no in recent memory.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Bought it on Friday rspec eps
Riding at windrock and the machine died twice
Both times it was in 4x4 and I went to give it gas.
It's almost like I was driving a manual transmission and stalled it out
were you in diff lock mode when stalling as these machines will cut the power back if the diff isn't engaged,red light solid,not blinking

·
November WOTM Winner!
877 Posts
Like everyone else is saying if you're in diff lock and it isn't engaged yet it'll do that

·
Registered
81 Posts
Had ours stall quite a bit when we first got it. Going slow, under a load and usually on and off the throttle. Not related to diff lock, just puked out. Might have been break in related because it hasn't happened in a while.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have around 600 miles on mine and it still stalls out a lot actually just yesterday. It is usually right after coming to a stop on the trails it will just die when I get on the throttle. I was wanting to start a thread to see if others were having the same problem but I was beat to the punch.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Mine did stall out on me once last time I had it out. I can't remember where I was or was the situation was. It fired right up and I took off with no problems.

·
November WOTM Winner!
877 Posts
I've had mine stall twice when I stopped it but never under load. I was also having problems overheating both days that happend so not sure if the two were related.

Got almost 700 miles on it now and haven't had a problem with either in a while.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First time it was in 4wd diff lock
I started down into a ditch and it stalled
2nd just 4wd inwas going down hill in 4wd and it stalled
Seems to run fine and start up fine after it does it

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Never stalled out. It may have to do with the lean burn of the factory mapping. Probably to meet some stupid emission standard. Idle, low load, part throttle runs pretty lean in those area's. Not bad and probably won't hurt anything. It's why the exhaust glows and has a lot of heat too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So would a fuel controller help that
I had to install one on my rzr570 because of backfiring

·
Registered
388 Posts
mines never stalled on me. when i first got it it wouldn't always start on the first attempt but now that isn't happening anymore. attributing that to not being broke in.. i too would like to know more about what fuel controllers do (i think that they just richen the fuel to air ratio). How easy they are to install. Do they void warranties, or damage the bike in any way, or are there any negatives to buying and using one. are they complicated, i mean do they do many things, or do they come preset just ready to hook up with no configuring or modes to select from.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
mines never stalled on me. when i first got it it wouldn't always start on the first attempt but now that isn't happening anymore. attributing that to not being broke in.. i too would like to know more about what fuel controllers do (i think that they just richen the fuel to air ratio). How easy they are to install. Do they void warranties, or damage the bike in any way, or are there any negatives to buying and using one. are they complicated, i mean do they do many things, or do they come preset just ready to hook up with no configuring or modes to select from.
hunterworks has e thread on their controller on this site

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have 200 miles on mine and it has stalled out several times. It is when I have been riding slow and stop. When I hit the throttle it just quit. Started right back up but it could be bad in a mud hole. Have no clue what it could be.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I think it has a lot to do with the break in. I know on my cbr, honda wants the valves checked and adjusted at the first service if necessary..

We found the guys that rode conservatively per honda (some) needed valve adjustments.

The guys like myself the rode the very first few miles easy but still got in it hard during the break in period did not require adjustments..

I suspect if you ride really easy and have low miles, and not in diff lock.. That the engine isn't really broken in.. It can take a lot of miles.. I suspect the guys that ride harder have little to no stalling after 200 miles or less if really pushed.

I did a high speed run on mine at 8 miles. I drive it like normal. Some times I get on it hard across fields etc, and then slow on trails. I'm at 180 miles.

Pushing it forces the rings to seat and wear in.

So my question for everyone who has stalled..

1. Did it stop.
2. Did you push your machine or drive conservatively.

1. Mine did it maybe 3 times since owning, normally slowing, it has stopped.

2. I drive it like I expect it should be driven..lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did it again on me twice yesterday. Happens when I stop for a driveway or road. So I come to a stop after cruising 30 to 40 mph and immediately hit the gas and it stalls out. It fires up right away just annoying. It also happened while playing in the sand pushing it hard. Come to a stop and it just dies

1 - 20 of 36 Posts