Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey knowledge base,
I just installed a new WARN winch on my new to me 2019 X4SE. I have connected all the wires per the image below. The winch will spool out, but not in. When I press the button to spool in, I just here loud clicking from the relay box. All my connections are tight. Can't seem to figure out why it only wants to work in one direction.
Planning to go on the first ride this weekend and would like this winch to work correctly. Pretty simple connection. Watched lots of videos and still do not understand what could be wrong.

·
Registered
2020 X2 XT-R 850
199 Posts
I'd get a test light and a helper...the clicking is good, that means it's doing something at least...I'd validate power on both sides of the winch during the IN and OUT button operation. Sounds like the OUT is working, so you should see power on one side of the winch during that operation...When you operate the IN, check the OTHER side of the winch to see if there is power there also. (The big blue and yellow wires that go to the winch. One is IN, the other is OUT)

If power is there...and the winch isn't working...it's a bad winch.
If power is NOT there, the winch relay is bad. It's clicking, but not connecting.

Assuming of course everything is wired up properly, which it sounds like it is. Double check the 4 big wires on the relay. Usually they have color codes dots...red, black, yellow, blue. They all need to be in the right places. You need to go by the schematic or dots, not the picture. Sometimes the picture is wrong.

Reactions: RmaxUt074

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
freespool the winch to get some line out, close freespool, swap the two cables on the winch motor, now turn switch on and hit the winch control for "out" the same way you have been doing. If the cable goes in, then the motor is OK and it is the relay. If no movement then the relay is bad or a internal cable connection may not be good.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called WARN today about the issue. One thing you can see in the diagram is that on each post, there is a nut at the bottom, then the wire and another nut on top. WARN customer service told me that if this is not connected in this way, there could be a short. I do not have the wires connected in this manner, nut, wire, nut. So, I will change that tonight and see if the issue is solved.
NUTTY!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
that makes sense as the relay is simply an internal slide that hits the posts on the bottom of the posts in the pattern required. If you overtightened the bottom nut you are just pulling it upwards and could probably break the relay case. I would say do not tighten the bottom nut very much and keep a wrench on it while tightening the top nut.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts